Sony's new handheld console?

PS_ROCKS

20 May 2023
Do you think Sony should give handheld one more chance, after seeing the success of switch, especially in japan. What do you think they need to do for it to become successful?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Would be pissing down a drain without diverting studios to support it. And its not like Sony has an abundance of first party exclusives. They have enough but thats it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think we had this same thread multiple times. The devs didn't have enough resources to make enough native games to properly support a portable device on top of all the existing home devices specially if a new portable one has to compete against Nintendo.

PC handhelds are a different beast because they don't need a native port: you simply get a PC game and tone down its game settings.

It's a good idea for Nintendo and Sony to focus in a single device: in the case of Sony the home console one, where they were stonger. In the case of Nintendo in the portable one, where they were stronger.

By doing that both are stronger, can properly support their devices with games and also differentiate more from each other.

If they ever do a portable, it should have exactly the same hardware than the home console, to support exactly the same games without ports required. But that is too expensive and wouldn't go mainstream.

Reactions: Vertigo

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I don't believe this. If a PS4 Portable is possible with a tweaked OS/build, then they should go for that portable market for real.

Deck, Switch, 5M other portable pc's... who wants to be paying more for a game just because? If most had a capable gaming PC or gaming laptop, they'd pick PC launch price of 20 cheaper every time. Over time that takes hold and now person x is a valve gamer. PC/laptop can still be thrown into living room TV with a PS controller to boot. What are you really missing out on without a PS5/6? Oh I gotta wait a bit for my cheaper games?

With Deck and others, you get portability and dockability of a switch, but with much better 3rd party support (and mods, emulation, and piracy of modern games if wanted). You can move your game session around, not always tied to living room TV.

So someone please tell me why Sony are giving their golden goose eggs, the games, to Valve for cheaper than PS retail cost, and why Sony devs are clucking about their Decks? Make a real handheld. That shit... Being underserved whilst a competitor does it, only lasts for a gen or so.

I say a PS4 Portable should be here in place of any slapass PC/Deck strategy, and I believe Valve are absolutely pushing their boundaries into the console space, readying a Deck 2 and a Steam Console.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nintendo releasing a console about as powerful as a PS4 before Sony is shameful for Sony. PS4P makes perfect sense.

It would be perfect for PS+ subscriber and people that built a PS4 digital library and there's nothing stoping third parry publishers supporting the Switch 2 from also making PS4 version of those games.

If Sony doesn't even attempt it I don't see them lasting much longer in the console business. They can't just give up on half the console market.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
There's not going to be another Playstation handheld.
Well then people will get a Steam Deck, Switch, ROG ALLY, or future XBoy to "access GP anywhere".

Each one have different barriers, but their own plusses. Deck just works for most games, Switch is only place for Nintendo IP, ROG ALLY comes prebuilt with windows, and as stated all XB need to do is market it as a powerful entry point for GP and their fans will lap up an XBoy too.

After mobile gaming tappy shit, but not many real games emerged (mtx's and timer bars came to consoles instead), what people like is the portability of phone gaming. If they miss a bus it's not a great inconvenience because this shit tappy game is here. One step further, and it's not a great inconvenience because their PS4P is continuing their gamesaves from home etc.

I've always said there's a split between shit touchscreen mobile/tablet gaming and portable real gaming, with buttons.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Well then people will get a Steam Deck, Switch, ROG ALLY, or future XBoy to "access GP anywhere".

Each one have different barriers, but their own plusses. Deck just works for most games, Switch is only place for Nintendo IP, ROG ALLY comes prebuilt with windows, and as stated all XB need to do is market it as a powerful entry point for GP and their fans will lap up an XBoy too.

After mobile gaming tappy shit, but not many real games emerged (mtx's and timer bars came to consoles instead), what people like is the portability of phone gaming. If they miss a bus it's not a great inconvenience because this shit tappy game is here. One step further, and it's not a great inconvenience because their PS4P is continuing their gamesaves from home etc.

I've always said there's a split between shit touchscreen mobile/tablet gaming and portable real gaming, with buttons.
All those handhelds sidestep the requirement for dedicated handheld games/ports. It doesn't work for Playstation because they make cutting edge technical showcase games. Vita was a commercial disaster despite its amazing hardware, PSP success, and a strong early library of games. Any other Playstation portable would be less favorable than that.

Sony could make a handheld PC (I hope they do), but it would not be a Playstation. PC ports are the best version of a "Playstation portable" that can happen.

Some people talk about a handheld PS4 but that's still a technical stretch, as well as a bad concept. PS4 is just about dead. It would be bizarre to either re-vive it as a zombie platform or sell a dead library to new handheld players. It just makes no sense.

So yeah, there's not going to be another portable playstation.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
All those handhelds sidestep the requirement for dedicated handheld games/ports. It doesn't work for Playstation because they make cutting edge technical showcase games. Vita was a commercial disaster despite its amazing hardware, PSP success, and a strong early library of games. Any other Playstation portable would be less favorable than that.

Sony could make a handheld PC (I hope they do), but it would not be a Playstation. PC ports are the best version of a "Playstation portable" that can happen.

Some people talk about a handheld PS4 but that's still a technical stretch, as well as a bad concept. PS4 is just about dead. It would be bizarre to either re-vive it as a zombie platform or sell a dead library to new handheld players. It just makes no sense.

So yeah, there's not going to be another portable playstation.
Yea because PS4 didn't have any games, rigth?

Nintendo, Valve, Asus, inevitably MS as well, they all can do it but it's too hard for poor Sony. Because the Vita failed (yet sold way more than the Deck and either the Series S or Series X) Sony can't ever try again, if MS had that mentality they would've stoped at the first Xbox and Nintendo would have quit after the N64 and gone portable only.

Sony clearly had the wrong read of the portable market assuming it was going to be rendered irrelevant due to mobile. Trash like the Q-lite isn't going to cut it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Do I think they should… yes. Will they? Probably not but who knows.

Make it like Steamdeck so it won’t use developers Making separate games. You can play Returnal and TLOU1 on Steamdeck, probably can run at 30fps with todays technology.

Some people are still weirdly obsessed and think they would need to split the studios to make separate games. That shit has changed since the Nintendo Switch and Steamdeck. It won’t have memory card issues or L2/R2 buttons like the Vita. So all the issues they had with the Vita, won’t exist today Or next year.

Games like Spiderman 2, FF16, FF7Rebirth, GTA 6, Cod, Successor to Fifa would all sell extra on portable. If Sony want games like FF16, FF7, Dragon Quest to have longer selling legs, especially in Japan. Having a portable is the best way

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Do I think they should… yes. Will they? Probably not but who knows.

Make it like Steamdeck so it won’t use developers Making separate games. You can play Returnal and TLOU1 on Steamdeck, probably can run at 30fps with todays technology.

Some people are still weirdly obsessed and think they would need to split the studios to make separate games. That shit has changed since the Nintendo Switch and Steamdeck. It won’t have memory card issues or L2/R2 buttons like the Vita. So all the issues they had with the Vita, won’t exist today Or next year.

Games like Spiderman 2, FF16, FF7Rebirth, GTA 6, Cod, Successor to Fifa would all sell extra on portable. If Sony want games like FF16, FF7, Dragon Quest to have longer selling legs, especially in Japan. Having a portable is the best way
Yea, even if they had to port their games... they already ported a bunch of games to PC and most didn't sell well at all.

Reactions: Kokoloko

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yea because PS4 didn't have any games, rigth?

Nintendo, Valve, Asus, inevitably MS as well, they all can do it but it's too hard for poor Sony. Because the Vita failed (yet sold way more than the Deck and either the Series S or Series X) Sony can't ever try again, if MS had that mentality they would've stoped at the first Xbox and Nintendo would have quit after the N64 and gone portable only.

Sony clearly had the wrong read of the portable market assuming it was going to be rendered irrelevant due to mobile. Trash like the Q-lite isn't going to cut it.

Weird examples. Microsoft and Nintendo *should* stop making consoles. Funny you call Q-lite "trash", but promote the strange idea of a digital-only portable PS4 in the dying gasp of the platform. Sega did a better version of this with the Nomad and it was a failure. It's not a good concept. With Q-Lite, there's no possibility for getting ripped off. Even if it is a commercial failure, it'll work as a PS5 remote play device for years to come.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I have to run out for errands day, but please continue discussing guys, I'll be back when I can be, and posting again when I'm not too stoned trying to escape from these back pain spasms.

It's somewhat unrelated (or is it?), but I want to randomly point to some Jap devs saying HD/current development is too hard for them, PS4P gives them a standing point to just churn out games irrespective of larger console advancements. But a PS4P won't be as technologically behind as a Switch, it's sort of the best of both worlds there.

Also, if a PS4P is established, and they keep doing those "digital deluxe cross gen bundle" selling sku, giving us both a PS4 and PS5 copy of a game, we can better manage our space/needs across console and handheld.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Weird examples. Microsoft and Nintendo *should* stop making consoles. Funny you call Q-lite "trash", but promote the strange idea of a digital-only portable PS4 in the dying gasp of the platform. Sega did a better version of this with the Nomad and it was a failure. It's not a good concept. With Q-Lite, there's no possibility for getting ripped off. Even if it is a commercial failure, it'll work as a PS5 remote play device for years to come.
Q-lite is remote play so it's trash by definition. Embarrassing product.

PS4P is already awesome even if not a single game made specifically for it ever gets made. Being able to play my PS+ games natively on the go already justifies it's price.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Q-lite is remote play so it's trash by definition. Embarrassing product.

PS4P is already awesome even if not a single game made specifically for it ever gets made. Being able to play my PS+ games natively on the go already justifies it's price.
Thank you! Natively expanding access to our own purchased games is what it is about.

People used to complain about psp-style games library's vs console-style game library's; and there I was playing PS1 on PSP. "Extending" access to my game. Not my fault I had to take the train to university that day, back then.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
No way. VR is already a bust. They don’t need another piece of hardware to divert game resources on failed products.

A backwards compatible handheld that runs ps4 catalog? That’d be okay. But not dedicated new hardware.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think the problem is Sony has to few Jump and Run and Japanese studios for this. A Handheld needs colourful and also Japanese games. Japan Studio was filling a part of this hole.