Sony's new handheld console?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Its that cheap? Do they have two skus? Anyways, not to deviate this into a Deck discussion but I think its weird they aren't just giving out Steam OS and Steam store access to the Ally and other "super-premium" competitors. Increased store access and adoption of your Windows alternative should be Valve's goal. The Deck itself was supposed to just be a means to an end, wasn't it?
Yep 100%. I would've liked to get the ISO by now to put it on a living room PC. They've said from the beginning it's going to happen. I guess they're trying to stabilize SteamOS on Deck before supporting other hardware.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Because they do. You say PS4 is enough but it isn't and everyone but you knows it isn't. Imagine launching a console and then never making any bespoke games for it, thats a recipe for instant failure. The cross-gen period dies this Christmas, after that its Madden, FIFA and niche Japanese titles only.

Thanks Thank You GIF by The Pozek Group

He just doesn't get it...lol

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PS4 Pro had native ports to take advantage of its upgraded hardware. You're saying a Playstation handheld doesn't need developer support to downgrade the hardware.
Im not saying nothing is needed. I just think it could be possible.

3rd Party devs backlog, could just put there Steamdeck/PC versions etc. Possibly

PS4 Pro and PS5 updated the uncapped games to 30fps-60fps+ without any dev support.

1st party has to go back And make an upcapped fps mode for there games or 30fps mode like alot did when PS4 Pro and PS5 released. Reduced resolution of course too.

Future games could be PSP3 compatible. Uncapped and 30fps mode- 800p/900p resolution

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Im not saying nothing is needed. I just think it could be possible.

3rd Party devs backlog, could just put there Steamdeck/PC versions etc. Possibly

PS4 Pro and PS5 updated the uncapped games to 30fps-60fps+ without any dev support.

1st party has to go back And make an upcapped fps mode for there games or 30fps mode like alot did when PS4 Pro and PS5 released. Reduced resolution of course too.

Future games could be PSP3 compatible. Uncapped and 30fps mode- 800p/900p resolution
There's so much wrong with this.

- uncapping the framerate can help if you're clocking *up*. A game designed to run at 1080p30 on PS5 is not going to gracefully scale down to less powerful hardware. Just reducing the resolution doesn't reliably free up resources to compensate.

- of course PC versions of games are not just going to run on any PlayStation, PS5-derived handheld or whatever. It's a different OS, different apis, ...

In addition to this being a big stretch (high end handheld PCs still not close to PS5), it will demand significant developer targeting. On the one hand less work than a Vita port, on the other you expect every game to work, which is crazy.

Reactions: Zzero

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
You guys keep repeating the same thing over and over as if Sony had to make games specifically for the new hardware. Sony last gen hardware is likely going to be about as powerful as a Nintendo console that could leverage that to have a presence in the portable space or they could do nothing like you guys suggest and concede that market entirely to Nintendo.

I'm tired of people purposefully pretending I'm suggesting Sony should make portable only games. The library, service and even future support already exist for a PS4P.

The Switch is not strictly portable and Nintendo is not that far away from getting proper third party support in the near future.

The idea that Sony couldn't afford producing this hardware is also absurd when Valve and many other companies already do something similar and have a lot less to gain from it.

If PlayStation gets chocked out of the market, then so be it, they can just become third party for Nintendo and PC/Valve.

The Switch is already a home consoles its just too weak but the gap will keep getting smaller. The gap between the Series S and the Switch successor is going to be drastically smaller than the gap between the Switch and One/PS4.
And why is it too weak? Because the Switch is not a home console, it is a hybrid and Nintendo will remain developing hybrid.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
What Sony could do is develop an portable PS5 with a bit lower specs and maybe reduced resolution. Important would be to run PS5 games run natively without cloud as requirement. This would sell a lot. Best timing would be when PS6 releases because I am convinced that PS5 will be a lot longer supported than PS4 and Sony probably do cross-gen. PS5 is an impressive system with unattended potential. PS6 and + a PS5 portable would be perfect.
They probably are exploring this alrdy.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I’d buy it but Sony has routinely failed this market to Nintendo and the off-brand handheld space is a lot wider since the peak days of PSP.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It's too late for Sony to join handheld market. Also Switch has their games like Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing which is perfect for handheld experience.

Nobody gonna play TLOU on a handheld, that's stupid

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's too late for Sony to join handheld market. Also Switch has their games like Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing which is perfect for handheld experience.

Actually it's good

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

Nobody gonna play TLOU on a handheld"

that's stupid

What Sony could do is develop an portable PS5 with a bit lower specs and maybe reduced resolution. Important would be to run PS5 games run natively without cloud as requirement. This would sell a lot. Best timing would be when PS6 releases because I am convinced that PS5 will be a lot longer supported than PS4 and Sony probably do cross-gen. PS5 is an impressive system with unattended potential. PS6 and + a PS5 portable would be perfect.
Portable PS5 now? People piss on the idea of PS4P being unworkable. I'm not disagreeing with your points, but we'll take a PS4P sooner to test the waters/show proof of market. But if I recall Vita outsold VR, and we're talking a Switch style PS4P. No way it wouldnt sell right now, just at PS4 level.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

People still play TLOU Factions 1, and it's like 10 years later. Nice little 15min rounds, if the match lasts evenly until then and someone doesn't get wafflestomped in 6 mins.

People won't play TLOU portability... Sure Jan