Square Enix CEO Takashi Kiryu "Planning to Bring (More) Games to Xbox for Players to Enjoy"

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
At a flawless 120 fps, like I said, the best way to play one of the best JRPGs of all time.

Hopefully they're able to patch a native version for PS5 only gamers soon so they're not stuck with a last gen only SKU.

The PS5 patch for Yakuza 7 was out in around 6 months, doesn't look like it's a timed exclusivity deal since we've already crossed that window.
nah, the best way to play that game is on PC with mods

Reactions: Systemshock2023

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
nah, the best way to play that game is on PC with mods

4kzd84.jpg

eddie-murphy-yeah-ok.gif

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Persona 3 and 4 remasters. Yakuza 7 had a timed Xbox upgrade, to the point that Sega was forbidden to even acknowledge any other versions for 48 hours after reveal.
That's part of their marketing deal.

And that's not "current gen patches" being blocked, that's Xbox's content policy mandating two versions for their "Smart Delivery".

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
He sounds alot less certain than i thought he would. I think im at the point where I get triggered just seeing this guy. He is such a lying conman who has completely destroyed xbox and yet is treated like the Messiah of gaming by gaming journalists while the xbox brand collaspses world wide at an unprecedented level.

I think it's another case of a big PR nothingburger, which is very on-brand for Microsoft as a whole. But I definitely would not say Phil destroyed Xbox. Sales volumes aside, for better or for worse, the reason why Xbox is such a longterm dangerous brand right now is him. Now don't get me wrong:

i) I don't fucking trust him as far as I can throw him, he reeks of american PR nonsense everytime he opens his mouth and, ironically, his appearance at the FFXIV Fanfest put him in direct contrast with the far more human and relatable YoshiP and made it even more obvious how robotic and pre-fab he is;

ii) I think Game Pass will ruin gaming as we know it in a variety of ways, it is already having an adverse effect on the perceived cost and value of games, and it will only continue to make it worse as time goes by;

iii) I think his strategies are unquestionably monopolistic, are extremely reminiscent of the EEE strategy of older years, and Game Pass exists for the sole purpose of being a market undercut to facilitate / enforce that monopoly;

iv) I think this entire generation of consoles for Microsoft was an attempt to hijack and then promptly abandon that particular market segment, and leaving it in tatters as the remaining competitors have no financial ability to compete against Game Pass (I think a part of that strategy failed though);

It's clear that I have no love for him or his strategy, he, like all PR conmen, exist to convince idiots to evangelize a brand, but let's be frank here, if he hadn't pushed internally for this novel multi-layered approach that aims to completely revise the concept of consuming videogames, I'm not convinced there would be an Xbox anymore. I think the Xbox division owes him a lot.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Phil is 100% lying based on his body language.. he knows the big hitters aren't coming. In 1-2 years they'll announce ff1-6 pixel remasters for xbox and he can do the mission accomplished meme.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think it's another case of a big PR nothingburger, which is very on-brand for Microsoft as a whole. But I definitely would not say Phil destroyed Xbox. Sales volumes aside, for better or for worse, the reason why Xbox is such a longterm dangerous brand right now is him. Now don't get me wrong:

i) I don't fucking trust him as far as I can throw him, he reeks of american PR nonsense everytime he opens his mouth and, ironically, his appearance at the FFXIV Fanfest put him in direct contrast with the far more human and relatable YoshiP and made it even more obvious how robotic and pre-fab he is;

ii) I think Game Pass will ruin gaming as we know it in a variety of ways, it is already having an adverse effect on the perceived cost and value of games, and it will only continue to make it worse as time goes by;

iii) I think his strategies are unquestionably monopolistic, are extremely reminiscent of the EEE strategy of older years, and Game Pass exists for the sole purpose of being a market undercut to facilitate / enforce that monopoly;

iv) I think this entire generation of consoles for Microsoft was an attempt to hijack and then promptly abandon that particular market segment, and leaving it in tatters as the remaining competitors have no financial ability to compete against Game Pass (I think a part of that strategy failed though);

It's clear that I have no love for him or his strategy, he, like all PR conmen, exist to convince idiots to evangelize a brand, but let's be frank here, if he hadn't pushed internally for this novel multi-layered approach that aims to completely revise the concept of consuming videogames, I'm not convinced there would be an Xbox anymore. I think the Xbox division owes him a lot.
Nobody could be said to have destroyed Xbox, considering the books for that division were downright frightening even before they started hiding the insanely poor performance by lumping Xbox into whatever division could disguise things best.

What they lost on just the first Xbox system would kill most companies dead.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Another partner Sony lost. Great track record so far.

Fear not, they'll partner with some random, 10-person studio to make another GaaS.
Sega, Capcom and Square now working closely with MS. Who is left? Konami? :ROFLMAO:

It's all cool tho, Sony still has two Japanese studios to make up for that, Team Asobi and Polyphony Digital

These people here think that things like gaming releasing just on PlayStation an not on Xbox in the past had no value for Sony. We'll see, Xbox continue to gain ground despite how awful their product is, what happens when things are a little more even?

Metaphor: ReFantazio is pretty much the next Persona game and release day one on Gamepass, but hey, now Persona doesn't matter anymore for Sony zealots. It's all about the PlayStation brand in the end not the games.

Agreed.
FromSoft, Suppermassive, Quantic Dreams, Ninja Theory, Sega all had exclusives for PS3/PS4.

But hey we're gonna be told we have Stella Blade and Helldivers 2 and dont forget about sales....:rolleyes:

Jivesh1995

20 Jun 2023
South Africa
brotaku.net
Honestly, they don't even have to outright acquire. Just make investments and build relationships. Late in the PS4 era it seems like they dropped the ball somewhere.

Focus became solely on first party projects. Pivot is slowly turning now though because they're realising that not every project is going to be a Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon.

Also, I wonder how much of their budget was squandered in the live-service push?