Square Enix Financial Results - May 12, 2023

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
IMG_6011.jpeg

Net income: -6%
Operating Profit: -25.2%

“Sales did not reach the level of the previous year despite the release of multiple new titles”

There was also more talk of blockchain. But good news is they plan to bolster quality & focus on AAA titles!

“Consider Merger & Acquisitions, creating new studios”

IMG_6008.jpeg

IMG_6009.jpeg
IMG_6010.jpeg
IMG_6002.jpeg

Source

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They just won't let go of the blockchain nonsense, what a bunch of morons. Sitting on some of the best gaming IPs and concerned about this sort of stuff.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75 and Johnic

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not a fantastic year.

They really sold those studios and IP's for nothing, that was really terrible to see.

I would recommend Sony to take a large stake and let some of the production crew help overhaul their pipeline... also help with selecting projects and new IP's.

The blockchain crap has to be forgotten, there's no get rich quick scheme that works.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Not a fantastic year.

They really sold those studios and IP's for nothing, that was really terrible to see.

I would recommend Sony to take a large stake and let some of the production crew help overhaul their pipeline... also help with selecting projects and new IP's.

The blockchain crap has to be forgotten, there's no get rich quick scheme that works.
I still think this is not a coincidence that Square Enix sold their three western studios + tons of valuable IPs for peanuts m. Also this sale was bery rushed up. From a business perspective they could have announced publicly that their western arm are for sale, they would probably got a lot and better offers than from Embracer. I am convinced this was all due to outline themselves for Sony. 100% I am sure Eidos founder didn’t lie.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I still think this is not a coincidence that Square Enix sold their three western studios + tons of valuable IPs for peanuts m. Also this sale was bery rushed up. From a business perspective they could have announced publicly that their western arm are for sale, they would probably got a lot and better offers than from Embracer. I am convinced this was all due to outline themselves for Sony. 100% I am sure Eidos founder didn’t lie.
If I remember correctly, they sold for a low price because all those studios came with a LOT of debt.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sony just need to just make a large investment, enough to ensure that they don't get bought by a competitor, though if the ABK thing fizzles out and the cma ruling stands, Sony probably don't have to worry about losing access to any more studios.

Also, lol at the ones who think putting more games on Xbox would have helped, even though that fanbase is famously bad at supporting Japanese games.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony not buying Crystal Dynamics to introduce Lara Croft in the Uncharted universe pisses me off. It was so cheap and they are a respectable studio (same as Eidos-Montréal).

Great IPs, good studios, cheap. Steal of the century.

• sad
Reactions: Zzero
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony not buying Crystal Dynamics to introduce Lara Croft in the Uncharted universe pisses me off. It was so cheap and they are a respectable studio.
Let’s be real guys. They probably asked Sony first. But Sony doesn’t want competition for their own Tomb Raider like IP: Uncharted. It’s also more successful.
Sony is like Eidos founder said, only interested in the Japanese part of Square Enix (Tokyo).

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
They just won't let go of the blockchain nonsense, what a bunch of morons. Sitting on some of the best gaming IPs and concerned about this sort of stuff.
It’s mostly mobile stuff. If they use it to cash in on whales while financing AAA games, i couldn’t care less.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If I remember correctly, they sold for a low price because all those studios came with a LOT of debt.
Still they could have get at least minimum a billion dollar or more. I repeat it: 2 big studios (Crystal Dynamics & Eidos Interactive) and midsized one (Square Enix Montreal).
Then we have seen a lot of famous and successful IPs were sold with. Tomb Raider, DeusEx, Legacy of Kain, Gex and more of classic franchises were sold for low. Alone all this franchises 50+ are probably a billion dollar worth without the assets (studio). There is also the question how big was the debt? Square Enix reported the debt was gone with selling it to Embracer. Means the price to acquire the studios and IPs from Square Enix, must be equally or lower than the acquisition price.
A prime example would be Codemasters. This no name studio with probably one franchise only was sold for more than a billion dollar to EA. How can this no name developer with literally no valuable IPs costs more than this two legendary studios and tons of IPs?
Nah the Eidos founder didn’t tell this for fame. I am convinced this is no fluke, to much smoke already.

• sad

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
A prime example would be Codemasters. This no name studio with probably one franchise only was sold for more than a billion dollar to EA. How can this no name developer with literally no valuable IPs costs more than this two legendary studios and tons of IPs?
Codemasters are not a no-name studio, they'd been around for over 30 years and used to be one of the biggest publishers in Britain, and they released multiple series of racing games yearly. Just because you don't care about them doesn't mean that nobody else does.

Anyways, we've all talked the Eidos issue to death, to me its more interesting, and unfortunate, that their recent spat of outsourced RPGs haven't really paid off. Too bad.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Codemasters are not a no-name studio, they'd been around for over 30 years and used to be one of the biggest publishers in Britain, and they released multiple series of racing games yearly. Just because you don't care about them doesn't mean that nobody else does.

Anyways, we've all talked the Eidos issue to death, to me its more interesting, and unfortunate, that their recent spat of outsourced RPGs haven't really paid off. Too bad.
Still not bigger than Eidos or Crystal Dynamics. This guy are also around since the 90s. You still haven’t answered my question: How the hell can this legendary studios and IPs sold for low???

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Still not bigger than Eidos or Crystal Dynamics. This guy are also around since the 90s. You still haven’t answered my question: How the hell can this legendary studios and IPs sold for low???
I answered it in another thread. After being part of the company for a full decade, the largest parts of Eidos only ever lost money for S-E so when things came to a head the decision was made to just sell to whoever was the highest bidder at the time, no matter how low. Even if they are taking a wash, they can then put that money into something that they have more confidence in to turn a profit.

Embracer offered more than anyone else and thus got it for what most game fans consider "a good deal." People in this thread said that a lot of debt was also sold off with the deal, which I don't remember being announced at the time but does help explain exactly how to top talent game studios (and Dokomo rip) got sold for so little. Anyways, people overestimate the value of the IP involved, Deus Ex was always a niche game, the general audience seems to have turned away from Tomb Raider and their other stuff really is just an asterisk. Even though Embracer was able to turn around and get that Tomb Raider deal with Amazon, we still don't know the full terms of it (example: first reported as selling the IP for 600 million, then reported as selling only transmedia rights for 600 million, now reported as Amazon "spending 600 million" on Tomb Raider, -aka- creating and advertising the show are coming out of that pie too and not all money going to Embracer.)

And, for what its worth, I do think Embracer got a good deal with it. They pulled off that Amazon deal, which Square's management might not have had the savvy to get through, they used their industry connections to get Eidos Montreal (or was it CD? doesn't matter which) assigned as a co-developer on Microsoft titles, outsourcing the risk to another company in exchange for a steady income, they have tons of freedom to outsource stuff like LoK and, yes, even Gex to other parts of Embracer or to third parties, if they so choose. Those were things that Embracer is really good at and Square is really bad at, meaning that both sides of the deal had reason to value the asset differently and engage in the sale.

Having said all that, there were a few potential other homes for them, Sony, Amazon, Microsoft, various western or Chinese third parties, and I would have thought they fit in best with Sony, but Embracer is far from the worst home. I am sure they all breathe a sigh of relief that they aren't part of Amazon or Take 2 right now.

edit: Also, to talk about the other side of your question. Whereas Eidos assets, sans Just Cause and their western publishing deals, always lost S-E money, Codemasters was always profitable, it had to be as it was lacking a corporate benefactor. And its singular focus on racing games meant that it had added value for EA, who could use them as a co-developer on Need for Speed. I think the real question there is how long CM continues to create its own niche racing titles (which do make money...) versus being fully subsumed into NfS. Either way they have a direct, easy road to being a financial contributor to EA, hence them being purchased despite the "high" price. The old adage of having a highly valued stock- "do one thing well" was in full effect here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
D

Deleted member 417

I remember reading similar reports from Zenimax and Activision shortly before they went up for sale. They were a mix of terrible numbers and 'this is fine' future projections.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I answered it in another thread. After being part of the company for a full decade, the largest parts of Eidos only ever lost money for S-E so when things came to a head the decision was made to just sell to whoever was the highest bidder at the time, no matter how low. Even if they are taking a wash, they can then put that money into something that they have more confidence in to turn a profit.

Embracer offered more than anyone else and thus got it for what most game fans consider "a good deal." People in this thread said that a lot of debt was also sold off with the deal, which I don't remember being announced at the time but does help explain exactly how to top talent game studios (and Dokomo rip) got sold for so little. Anyways, people overestimate the value of the IP involved, Deus Ex was always a niche game, the general audience seems to have turned away from Tomb Raider and their other stuff really is just an asterisk. Even though Embracer was able to turn around and get that Tomb Raider deal with Amazon, we still don't know the full terms of it (example: first reported as selling the IP for 600 million, then reported as selling only transmedia rights for 600 million, now reported as Amazon "spending 600 million" on Tomb Raider, -aka- creating and advertising the show are coming out of that pie too and not all money going to Embracer.)

And, for what its worth, I do think Embracer got a good deal with it. They pulled off that Amazon deal, which Square's management might not have had the savvy to get through, they used their industry connections to get Eidos Montreal (or was it CD? doesn't matter which) assigned as a co-developer on Microsoft titles, outsourcing the risk to another company in exchange for a steady income, they have tons of freedom to outsource stuff like LoK and, yes, even Gex to other parts of Embracer or to third parties, if they so choose. Those were things that Embracer is really good at and Square is really bad at, meaning that both sides of the deal had reason to value the asset differently and engage in the sale.

Having said all that, there were a few potential other homes for them, Sony, Amazon, Microsoft, various western or Chinese third parties, and I would have thought they fit in best with Sony, but Embracer is far from the worst home. I am sure they all breathe a sigh of relief that they aren't part of Amazon or Take 2 right now.

edit: Also, to talk about the other side of your question. Whereas Eidos assets, sans Just Cause and their western publishing deals, always lost S-E money, Codemasters was always profitable, it had to be as it was lacking a corporate benefactor. And its singular focus on racing games meant that it had added value for EA, who could use them as a co-developer on Need for Speed. I think the real question there is how long CM continues to create its own niche racing titles (which do make money...) versus being fully subsumed into NfS. Either way they have a direct, easy road to being a financial contributor to EA, hence them being purchased despite the "high" price. The old adage of having a highly valued stock- "do one thing well" was in full effect here.
Where do you know there were other bidders?
Can you verify your assertion?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Show that there isn't. Actually, verify that you are Eternal_Wings and not someone hacking into his account.
That's not how it works...
You made the claim, you have to provide sources for it.

The burden of proof (Latin: onus probandi, shortened from Onus probandi incumbit ei qui dicit, non ei qui negat) is the obligation on a party in a dispute to provide sufficient warrant for its position.

ffs, this is basic.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings