Square Enix Financial Results - May 12, 2023

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That's not how it works...
You made the claim, you have to provide sources for it.

ffs, this is basic.
You're asking me to, in essence, prove that the president of Square-Enix breathes air. Why on earth would he offer that deal to Embracer and only Embracer? Sorry that I am assuming he's not retarded or doing it with a gun to his head and a five minute deadline. The simplest answer is the correct one, S-E sold to Embracer because Embracer offered more than anyone else. They sold for such a small amount because the assets offered weren't money makers. Embracer accepted because they had plans, plans S-E couldn't implement themselves, to turn the studios profitable.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
You're asking me to, in essence, prove that the president of Square-Enix breathes air. Why on earth would he offer that deal to Embracer and only Embracer? Sorry that I am assuming he's not retarded or doing it with a gun to his head and a five minute deadline. The simplest answer is the correct one, S-E sold to Embracer because Embracer offered more than anyone else. They sold for such a small amount because the assets offered weren't money makers. Embracer accepted because they had plans, plans S-E couldn't implement themselves, to turn the studios profitable.
You went into a tangent because you can't provide proof, dude.
Just say you think what you said might be the case, that it's probable but you have no evidence to back it up. It's that simple.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You went into a tangent because you can't provide proof, dude.
Just say you think what you said might be the case, that it's probable but you have no evidence to back it up. It's that simple.
Yeah, no fucking duh. None of us here have access to Square-Enix internal documents. Me saying that they sold Eidos because Eidos loses money every year is no different from Eternal Wings saying they sold Eidos to Embracer specifically so that they could then sell themselves to Sony. He has no proof to his assertion either. FWIW, I have said several times on this forum that it makes sense for Sony to acquire Square. But there are plenty of other reasonable reasons for Square-Enix to sell off assets, the most reasonable of all being that the ones in question have only ever lost money for them.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
It does not make sense for Sony to buy Square and that idea should die a thousand deaths with a double tap just to be sure it's truly dead.

Try Capcom maybe.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It does not make sense for Sony to buy Square and that idea should die a thousand deaths with a double tap just to be sure it's truly dead.

Try Capcom maybe.
How many times do guys repeat this false claim?
Hell it does make a lot of sense.
Gangan Comics has many popular Manga IPs which Sony does adapt to Anime on regular basis. All artists for their games are being provided by Sony Music. They have have over decades partnerships in making movies together (e.g. Final Fantasy movies). Sony also needs some successful GaaS experienced developers, FF14 is a prime example. Square Enix owns a lot of capable Mobile gaming developers, exactly what Sony is looking for. Owning Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and co-own Kingdom Hearts would help boosting their game in Japan. Getting games exclusive on a temporarily basis = is not the same as owning them. Owning > just renting (exclusive deals). They would save the money for all this deals they do in long-term. People tend to forget that Square Enix has a lot of very talented developers among Japan. Square Enix needs just a direction and some optimising and they will bloom more than ever before. Anyway what’s always the issue with you guys arguing against this idea? Seriously some of you guys can’t grant other people their taste. Just because you guys don’t like Square Enix games, doesn’t mean majority feel the same. You will lose nothing if it happens. Really I don’t understand this hatred of yours against Square Enix, especially you don’t seem to have a good opinion about them.

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
It's a stupid buy that's it that's all. I've already wasted tongue on it way too many times. As such, I'll just drop one liners like everybody else that says "acquire the hobo of Japan plz".

It's stupid, the idea should die not to mention it doesn't invite any intellectually stimulating discussion relevant to the realities of the markets in contestation. Simple as.

Spiky hair is of no consequence here.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It's a stupid buy that's it that's all. I've already wasted tongue on it way too many times. As such, I'll just drop one liners like everybody else that says "acquire the hobo of Japan plz".

It's stupid, the idea should die not to mention it doesn't invite any intellectually stimulating discussion relevant to the realities of the markets in contestation. Simple as.
Damn you can’t even describe why it’s “stupid”. Your hatred for Japanese games is amusing. Well you’re probably the type who thinks JRPGs are for weebs huh. I respect that all gamers are not equally but I don’t get guys like you who despise pure Japanese games. Sorry but not everyone likes only GTA, CoD or generally only western games. Japanese games are much more creative than western games will ever be. PlayStation is a console designed by Japanese key engineers, only exception is Mark Cerny. But here also sorry to disappoint you, Cerny lives in Japan, speaks the language fluently and also married a Japanese woman. Did you know that all key positions at SIE are filled by Japanese staff? Point is Japanese games are part of PlayStation’s history more than GTA or any other western franchise or will ever be. I don’t understand PlayStation fans like you, because Japanese games are not to your liking, you wouldn’t grant others their wish. I swear when Sony announces Square Enix, you will probably have a mental meltdown.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Lol... the only thing amusing is your attempt to characterize me and frame my opinion with some simpleton strawman. If you want an explanation of my opinion, dig through my post history as I already stated (it's there in detail) - not wasting my time on any upstart that springs up and believes he's owed an explanation and intellectual battle. Not going to copy and paste either.

It's a stupid buy. Gotta deal with that. Clearly fans of Final Fantasy on PS are making it personal - the irony is too in your face for it not to be completely farcical.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Lol... the only thing amusing is your attempt to characterize me and frame my opinion with some simpleton strawman. If you want an explanation of my opinion, dig through my post history. I'm not going to copy and paste.

It's a stupid buy. Gotta deal with that.
No because it’s fits you exactly. Well I never seen someone making a claim without explaining why. “Not going to copy and paste, deal with it” what a poor excuse. I say it again you are the type who only plays games made by western devs. Someone who is not able to explain why it’s “a stupid buy” is not worth the effort to discuss. I am just wasting my time.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Whatever rocks your boat. Hopefully the idea dies a sudden death instead of this slow grinding painful slog - fanboy melts included.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I agree that the only reason Sony would need to acquire a pub is because of the risk of Microsoft trying to steal it and cancel all PlayStation development for franchises with history on PS and new games alike, like they did to Bethesda, in an attempt to distort the market.

With the CMA having brutally murdered Xbox's acquisition 'strategy', better known as "Buy and Die", there's no risk of that happening again.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I agree that the only reason Sony would need to acquire a pub is because of the risk of Microsoft trying to steal it and cancel all PlayStation development for franchises with history on PS and new games alike, like they did to Bethesda, in an attempt to distort the market.

With the CMA having brutally murdered Xbox's acquisition 'strategy', better known as "Buy and Die", there's no risk of that happening again.
Yeah, I think Sony only need to if there's a risk of losing the games to Xbox

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think Sony would be wise to buy S-E no matter what Xbox does. Indeed, I don't think it really matters what the "competition" does, as long as you have a healthy ecosystem on your own device. And buying S-E helps fill gaps for Sony. It gives them more presence among Japanese gamers who refuse to buy western (still lots of them out there,) it gives them not just one or two but multiple viable JRPG franchises, including (depending on your definition of the term) 3 of the 5 biggest ones. Those same three franchises are also all system sellers and irregardless of Xbox there's danger of losing that to a crossplatform (with Nintendo) release, at least for Dragon Quest. The games also make money on their own, meaning the purchase will eventually pay for itself. And then S-E's anime, manga and JP music stuff can be folded in with Sony's own offerings. The mobile division, despite being distasteful (those FF mobile games are the worst of monetization without gameplay...,) do make money. And according to the finanical results shown here, as much as Square's traditional and MMO games combined. There's also the arcade division which, well, its not really what Sony wants but it can sit in a box for now. Sadly, I think that both Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics fit the mold of what Sony wants in western studios, and Tomb Raider was always strongly associated with Playstation, despite never being exclusive (even the PS1 series was also on PC and Saturn.)

But was it Sony who didn't want those, or S-E? A case can be made for either one not being interested.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
It's not personal kiddo. Business move, business appraisal. You do you thou...
We will see who is the kid. Go and play GTA V for the 10th time. Do me one favour: please stop pretending , as if you know what you’re talking about. Like as you would understand anything about viable businesses. Twitter CEOs are the best truly. It’s nothing personal but it’s hella annoying when randoms like you claim it’s a stupid deal without being able to explain themselves. You think probably Sony is just PlayStation lol. Sony is looking on many things when they acquire companies: Do they have synergies with other division within Sony Corporation? Like I have written before, Square Enix is more than games and this what Sony would look for when they would acquire a publisher like Square Enix. Using the maximum potential of all assets the targeted acquisition would bring. But you rather say nonsense like it’s stupid without explaining why. You’re nothing but Japanese hater. Luckily you are not a member of Sony corporation who can decide stuff. And now go play your beloved western games dude.