Square Enix’s Stock Has Fallen 30% From Its Peak This Year, Wiping Almost $2 Billion Off The Company’s Market Value.

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
and who is the one struggling with its stock value?....yep
Square ShitEnix.
Which publisher was already in such bad shape financially after some not very relevant buyouts and several lawsuits (John Carmack, Behaviour Interactive, Warner Interactive or Facebook with Oculus VR) that ended up costing millions of dollars but not in a good way, to the point where they had to be bought out by Microsoft in order to survive and continue making AAA games?

full.png

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Which publisher was already in such bad shape financially after some not very relevant buyouts and several lawsuits (John Carmack, Behaviour Interactive, Warner Interactive or Facebook with Oculus VR) that ended up costing millions of dollars but not in a good way, to the point where they had to be bought out by Microsoft in order to survive and continue making AAA games?

full.png
♟️👫

• fire
Reactions: MScarpa

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
damn, all that terrible stuff and yet squenix managed to put out an 88 metacritic game and bethesda didn't
and who AGAIN has lost 2B in market value? after the release of the MASSIVE SUCCESS, the BEST FF, with a fricking 16 in the title and GOTY contender ....yes...Square ShitEnix.

an 88 ain't saving this shittie company 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣.

Sony should spend 2B just to acquire Grand Theft Auto VI exclusivity. SE doesn't deserve to be saved. let them rot in their own poop

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Final Fantasy XVI

• 3 million copies sold in one week on PS5 only
  • 87 metascore with 146 reviews
  • 8.1 userscore
  • 88 opencritic with 167 reviews
  • 100~150 million $ budget?
  • 8 years in development (since 2015)

Starfield

• No worldwide sales figures despite release on PC, Steam, Xbox Series X & S
  • 84 metascore with only 74 tests, despite Microsoft's careful selection of reviewers
  • 6.1 userscore
  • 87 opencritic with 134 reviews
  • 72% on steamdb
  • By far the worst start for a bethesda game in physical sales in the UK (~15k, the only real data we have)
  • 200 million $ budget
  • 11 years in development (since 2012)

Which of these two games should we be more worried about?
Bugfield

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
This has nothing to do with FFXVI but all to do with their overall financial results. The game had very limited impact in those same results since it came out 8 days before the end of the fiscal quarter/year.

This guy needs a bloody lawsuit.
Peterovo & the like are already on twitter saying playstation is ruining square enix when the reality is square enix likely would've gone bye bye long ago if it wasn't for the playstation 1 & Sony putting up large sums of money to help market their games like final fantasy 7 lol

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
and who AGAIN has lost 2B in market value? after the release of the MASSIVE SUCCESS, the BEST FF, with a fricking 16 in the title and GOTY contender ....yes...Square ShitEnix.

an 88 ain't saving this shittie company 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣.

Sony should spend 2B just to acquire Grand Theft Auto VI exclusivity. SE doesn't deserve to be saved. let them rot in their own poop

The loss in market value is not related to the game though? Unless you want to argue that a game released 8 days before end of quarter and that had sold 3M copies by then is the cause of loss in value.

You're trolling way too hard.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The loss in market value is not related to the game though? Unless you want to argue that a game released 8 days before end of quarter and that had sold 3M copies by then is the cause of loss in value.

You're trolling way too hard.
i didn't bring the game. the issue is SE as a whole. The FF IP is a victim of that.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Sure, but the drop in stock value has fuck all to do with the game, yet you try to somehow equate both. At least be honest.
i am not.

What you are quoting is a reply to this post:
damn, all that terrible stuff and yet squenix managed to put out an 88 metacritic game and bethesda didn't
what the fuq and 88 game has to do with SE shitting the bed in terms of management?

and that post was a reply to this post:

So.....YOU be honest......my dude.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I am not much for acquisition in one way or another but Sony needs to buy Square Enix. That publisher is run by clowns. Out of all the Japanese publishers, Square is the one out here acting dumb in lots of way like never being happy with game sales even when said game is selling good and had turned them a profit. Like Bandai don't act this way and Capcom don't act like this. Hey yo, Jimbo y'all been Square's sugar daddy for so long time to put a ring on it.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I am not much for acquisition in one way or another but Sony needs to buy Square Enix. That publisher is run by clowns. Out of all the Japanese publishers, Square is the one out here acting dumb in lots of way like never being happy with game sales even when said game is selling good and had turned them a profit. Like Bandai don't act this way and Capcom don't act like this. Hey yo, Jimbo y'all been Square's sugar daddy for so long time to put a ring on it.
they need to figure out their GaaS pipeline first.(focus their attention). if the buy SE they will need to clean house. I dunno if sony wants to do that shit right now.

better buy Capcom, Arc System Works. or keep hunting talent in Korea, China and india.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Square Enix has a list of games that failed miserably recently, like Forspoken and The Avengers, but let’s all point fingers at FFXVI.
Massive FFXVI success destroying Starfield in every metric... couldn't offset previous failures...I dunno man. something is fucked up.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
As much as I love FFXVI it really is stuck in the mud in too many ways

Like they really should have gone with a more open world design, because they just aren't good at designing linear games

I don't know what the secret sauce is to linear games, but when done right they don't feel restrictive. TLOU2 or GOW 2018 is a perfect example of this. I never felt constrained in by game limitations, but constantly felt that in FFXVI

I think the key to a linear game is that even your small spaces need to feel like mini sandboxes. Invisible walls should never be a thing.

FFXVI got better as it opened up in level design but it took many hours to get there.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Nintendo already created the friction themselves by siding with MS on the ABK ordeal. Don't bother worrying about keeping the peace with a neighbor who hates you.
Right now, it's Nintendo games that are keeping Square Enix fed and clothed in Japan, it would be hugely disasterous to break that relationship right as you drop billions on Square Enix.

Even if Sony buys Square, you bet that most of the Nintendo arrangements remain in place.