Starfield could be biggest launch of 2023. No. 1 in the UK boxed charts

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Horrendous. Whats the average concurrent user on steam now that the weekends over?

All the figures are here. Not sure how to paste them here.

Scroll to the bottom. It gives the full history in a chart.

Already lost half the players in 2 weeks. Around 150K.

The game is a dud. Not the saviour it was proclaimed to be.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
All the figures are here. Not sure how to paste them here.

Scroll to the bottom. It gives the full history in a chart.

Already lost half the players in 2 weeks. Around 150K.

The game is a dud. Not the saviour it was proclaimed to be.

I wouldnt be surprised if starfield was out of the top 5 this week.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That was last month (August)... in the other twitter he is talking about a jump this first week when Starfield launched.
The article will be up tomorrow.
But for now he doesn't give any more info.
Yea that was before the new figures were posted

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
a boost is a boost and that is the point :

software sales hardware.
I agree in princ month kastiple, but the bump has effectively mediocre range on the Series sales : if the math around here is right, it.just basically sold as in a standard week of its last year sale ! Plus, I doubt that the effect of Starfield is going to protract in time, so it's quite probable that september will see less XBox sold that the same minth last year. ..

OP
OP
ChorizoPicozo

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I agree in princ month kastiple, but the bump has effectively mediocre range on the Series sales : if the math around here is right, it.just basically sold as in a standard week of its last year sale ! Plus, I doubt that the effect of Starfield is going to protract in time, so it's quite probable that september will see less XBox sold that the same minth last year. ..
starfield performance should set the tone for Xbox(division) and MS moving forward. this is why in one of post i gave 3 or 4 scenarios.

basically.
The worst one:
Xbox drops out of the console race before this gen is even over.

the best one:
Xbox can have their cake and eat it too. GP(service) and console can prive.

Not the best situations, but not the worst either:

a) Xbox GP cant gow but console gets stronger. This will be the "No shit Sherlock" for MS: "You release AAA games and people will buy your sitthie box". MS gaming philosophy will be in jeopardy. "You cant have everything, you need to commit to a certain marker" (not necessarily abandon the other) just like sony is doing.

b) GP grows a lot, console not so much= Xbox continues to support Series consoles but they will have a hard time justify another gen.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
starfield performance should set the tone for Xbox(division) and MS moving forward. this is why in one of post i gave 3 or 4 scenarios.

basically.
The worst one:
Xbox drops out of the console race before this gen is even over.

the best one:
Xbox can have their cake and eat it too. GP(service) and console can prive.

Not the best situations, but not the worst either:

a) Xbox GP cant gow but console gets stronger. This will be the "No shit Sherlock" for MS: "You release AAA games and people will buy your sitthie box". MS gaming philosophy will be in jeopardy. "You cant have everything, you need to commit to a certain marker" (not necessarily abandon the other) just like sony is doing.

b) GP grows a lot, console not so much= Xbox continues to support Series consoles but they will have a hard time justify another gen.
Your best case scenario is impossible as gamepass is cannibalizing their entire ecosystem. People buy consoles based on the availability of large, hype-inducing games. Gamepass disincentivizes the purchase of games, as admitted to by Microsoft in court. Unless the AAA game industry radically changes their business model, these games rely on up-front purchases for the bulk of their revenue. The more gamepass succeeds, the less success AAA games will find on Xbox, meaning they will be more incentivized by exclusivity contracts with Playstation/Nintendo/(I guess apple now).

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Your best case scenario is impossible as gamepass is cannibalizing their entire ecosystem. People buy consoles based on the availability of large, hype-inducing games. Gamepass disincentivizes the purchase of games, as admitted to by Microsoft in court. Unless the AAA game industry radically changes their business model, these games rely on up-front purchases for the bulk of their revenue. The more gamepass succeeds, the less success AAA games will find on Xbox, meaning they will be more incentivized by exclusivity contracts with Playstation/Nintendo/(I guess apple now).

Reason why you see many big third party games going exclusive on Playstation and Switch.

They lose money on Gamepass and they lose money cause it’s not on Gamepass.