Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Still waiting for you in depth opinions on the quests Crow! You must be having a lot of fun since I don't think you've written a single comment (that I've seen) talking about anything in the game that you directly experienced?
also we already talked about this. Is your memory bad? Man BG3, Starfield, Phantom Liberty, Warhamer 40k Rouge Trader. What a year for pc rpg gaming. Am i right?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It seems like we are speaking past each other. So I don't misrepresent you, you are saying "I'm going into the same building type over and over again, this game has no content" but you've been ignoring me when I've been pointing out that the missions come with a bunch of story content

What bunch of story content? A couple of leaflets here and there? The game is so sparse on story it's not even funny. And worse, it doesn't connect with the player. I honestly never found myself so disinterested about other characters and what they do in a video game.

and there is a variety of other activities that can be done in the video game including decorating your own home.

Game has a poor story and shallow characters, but hey, decorating your home ❤️

Even your statement about nonexistent exploration is false, it would be fairer to say that exploration in the game is disjointed and could have been handled better.

Exploration is non-existant from the moment that

a) "dungeons" are almost always the same
b) planetary activities are all the same
c) you can go from mission to mission without having to even leave the planet you're currently in

You can explore within the enclosed spaces and that can lead to a sense of discovery, for example, I'm planning on visiting a bunch of specific systems across the galaxy since I noticed a screen in the MAST building pointing out those systems as belonging to the major factions, I want to set up fast travel spots within those systems since I anticipate I'll be doing a lot of missions within them.

And after you've explored those systems, you will find the same abandoned lab, the same cave, the same "dungeon", all over again. There's literally ZERO reason to "explore" in this game after a few hours. I'm 28 ish hours in and have stopped finding new locations in planets, everything is literally repeated.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I already wrote comments about the game? Right now im doing the Ryujin quest line and its good. Did you know New Atlantis had a slum area? Had no idea until 60 hours in.
Can you link them? Must have missed them sorry. Interested to see your comments about the quests and narrative design since there is a lot to discuss.

Reactions: EDMIX

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
What bunch of story content? A couple of leaflets here and there? The game is so sparse on story it's not even funny. And worse, it doesn't connect with the player. I honestly never found myself so disinterested about other characters and what they do in a video game.
Game has a poor story and shallow characters, but hey, decorating your home
Starfield isn't a character-driven story. It's more event-driven. There are events that have happened/ are happening in the world and you get to learn about them or play a part in the said events. Personally, I prefer event-driven stories in video games in general. Very, very few games do character-driven well. Off the top of my head, I can only think of RDR2, Last Of Us 1, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. The medium doesn't lend itself to strong character motivations.

Starfield does a good job of creating small and interesting stories here and there, very similar to The Witcher 3. In TW3, you could help a village with a monster problem and you get to learn something about the village events there tie in with the whole state of the world. Most of those stories didn't tie back to Geralt. Some of the missions you do in Starfield affect the world or how NPCs view your character. You get new dialogue options or new random encounters. This is basic Bethesda game design.

It's ok if you don't like activities like home decoration, it's bad form to scoff at them.
Exploration is non-existant from the moment that

a) "dungeons" are almost always the same
b) planetary activities are all the same
c) you can go from mission to mission without having to even leave the planet you're currently in
And after you've explored those systems, you will find the same abandoned lab, the same cave, the same "dungeon", all over again. There's literally ZERO reason to "explore" in this game after a few hours. I'm 28 ish hours in and have stopped finding new locations in planets, everything is literally repeated.
Exploration is rewarded with discovery. My example showed a discovery I made while exploring. That discovery prompted some action from me. That discovery influences how I get to play the game. If for example, I have a bounty with UC, I know which system to avoid before I clear it.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Starfield isn't a character-driven story. It's more event-driven. There are events that have happened/ are happening in the world and you get to learn about them or play a part in the said events. Personally, I prefer event-driven stories in video games in general. Very, very few games do character-driven well. Off the top of my head, I can only think of RDR2, Last Of Us 1, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. The medium doesn't lend itself to strong character motivations.

Event-driven, as in, visiting the same location 53 times in 10 different worlds?

No need to come up with excuses for shitty dead wood characters.

Starfield does a good job of creating small and interesting stories here and there, very similar to The Witcher 3. In TW3, you could help a village with a monster problem and you get to learn something about the village events there tie in with the whole state of the world. Most of those stories didn't tie back to Geralt. Some of the missions you do in Starfield affect the world or how NPCs view your character. You get new dialogue options or new random encounters. This is basic Bethesda game design.

Give me some examples of small and interesting stories here and there that are of any consequence.

It's ok if you don't like activities like home decoration, it's bad form to scoff at them.

I'm not scoffing at them, I'm just saying that these things should be considered tertiary at best, and you're treating them as window dressing for an interesting plot with poorly written characters

Exploration is rewarded with discovery. My example showed a discovery I made while exploring. That discovery prompted some action from me. That discovery influences how I get to play the game. If for example, I have a bounty with UC, I know which system to avoid before I clear it.

Discovery of the same cave 25 times? What about the same abandoned lab in different places on the same planet?

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Event-driven, as in, visiting the same location 53 times in 10 different worlds?
That is not what Event-driven is, you can look it up. From there it should be easy to see how Starfield's narrative is event-driven, from the lore to the stuff that is happening in the game.
Give me some examples of small and interesting stories here and there that are of any consequence.
I've already shared this earlier in the thread
I was prompted to write my checkpoint review after my experience on New Homestead where these human colonists were insistent on living traditional lives, but Tradition to these folks meant wind power and horticultural pods and mining methane, something which I found to be hilarious, they took great pride from being able to trace their heritage from Earth and they seemed very offended with outworld tourists viewing their way of life as a quant curiosity.

I also enjoyed the bureaucratic stuff in Trevor's questline from Cydonnia, who was trying to get mining equipment for his miners but had to go through a lot of red tape due to Deimos & UC entanglement. The story here tied in a corrupt governor and there were actual decisions I had to make that'd affect the lives of people on Mars

These sorts of stories are what I find really great about Starfield's narrative. It might break down further as I get further rinto the game but so far I find them great
Happy to say the quality of these sort of stories have been maintained the further I've gotten into the game.

Discovery of the same cave 25 times? What about the same abandoned lab in different places on the same planet?
Can we stop getting into this cycle where I share a point and you keep going back to the same argument of being in the same cave/lab multiple times? Are you going to pretend there aren't unique places and locations to explore in the game?

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
I'm not scoffing at them, I'm just saying that these things should be considered tertiary at best, and you're treating them as window dressing for an interesting plot with poorly written characters
I wouldn't say such activities are tertiary, especially in a roleplaying game. Stuff like that along with shipbuilding are how your character presents themselves in the world. They are also a great expression of creativity

• haha

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
That is not what Event-driven is, you can look it up. From there it should be easy to see how Starfield's narrative is event-driven, from the lore to the stuff that is happening in the game.

I was being cheeky, but I can argue that while event-driven, the events themselves are presented in a manner that's so contrived and/or convenient that they lose any and all impact they can possibly have. I cannot find myself invested in the lore, the story, and the pacing, because everything feels inconsequential.

Happy to say the quality of these sort of stories have been maintained the further I've gotten into the game.

While those stories may be cute, how do they tie into the overall narrative of the game? They are gentle reminders of world-building, sure, but they are again of no consequence to the overall narrative and to the game at large.

Can we stop getting into this cycle where I share a point and you keep going back to the same argument of being in the same cave/lab multiple times? Are you going to pretend there aren't unique places and locations to explore in the game?

We can when you stop trying to sell this game somehow rewards / encourages / is even remotely good at inciting exploration, when your rewards from such exploration are of no consequence other than a few credits and maybe a couple of cute notes. I'd rather bethesda had invested a little more in providing actual interesting and unique locations in a smaller denser couple of planets so that I can at least suspend my disbelief. It becomes very hard, if not impossible, to be invested in exploration when the game rewards you with the same place over and over again.

I never said there are not unique locations in the game.

I wouldn't say such activities are tertiary, especially in a roleplaying game. Stuff like that along with shipbuilding are how your character presents themselves in the world. They are also a great expression of creativity

That would be acceptable if they managed to build a game world that was up to acceptable RPG standards. My main gripe is that we're here talking about collecting snowglobes (or succulents, like a friend of mine does), when the world is mostly barrent, the characters are uninteresting, and the quests are unimaginative.

I'd be more than happy to discuss the great achievements of ship customisation (which I like) and the collecting of books (which I do for the kick of it, not because it immerses me in the world) if any of the systems tied to those things were of substantial consequence to the story, to my character, and to how the world is lived in.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
I was being cheeky, but I can argue that while event-driven, the events themselves are presented in a manner that's so contrived and/or convenient that they lose any and all impact they can possibly have. I cannot find myself invested in the lore, the story, and the pacing, because everything feels inconsequential.

While those stories may be cute, how do they tie into the overall narrative of the game? They are gentle reminders of world-building, sure, but they are again of no consequence to the overall narrative and to the game at large.
I haven't finished the story but given this is a BGS game I don't have high expectations when it comes to writing compelling characters. Honestly, if my enjoyment of video games were solely based on how characters are written I probably wouldn't be playing video games, it's a glaring weakness across the board. A game like BG3 is very special due to how well the characters are written.

The strength of video game narratives is in the fact that you can interact with them. That is what I find rewarding in playing a game like Starfield, it's reacting to your actions more than most video games in the industry.
We can when you stop trying to sell this game somehow rewards / encourages / is even remotely good at inciting exploration, when your rewards from such exploration are of no consequence other than a few credits and maybe a couple of cute notes. I'd rather bethesda had invested a little more in providing actual interesting and unique locations in a smaller denser couple of planets so that I can at least suspend my disbelief. It becomes very hard, if not impossible, to be invested in exploration when the game rewards you with the same place over and over again.

I never said there are not unique locations in the game.
Within the thread, my first complaint about the game was how disjointed the exploration is. It's easily the game's biggest weakness compared to other BGS RPGs. I find that a fairer critique than saying the game has no exploration. I only argued against that statement. I didn't say the game is doing a good job in rewarding exploration, I just pointed out an instance where I was rewarded for exploration.
However, the biggest flaw I've found with the game is how disjointed everything is. Usually, exploration in a BGS game is intrinsically rewarding with meaningful narrative discoveries that can start whole questlines, here you'll just find points of interest that are randomly placed on massive maps. It's frustrating to trek a bunch of kilometres just to find some abandoned mining facility or a meaningless cave. The best way to experience the narrative is by doing missions. Within the missions is probably where I've experienced the most sense of wonder and I think Starfield has some of the best mission structuring in a BGS game since you get to learn a lot about the world. One of my favourite missions in the game so far was a tour of a colony settlement. There's an issue here because some missions are complete duds only handing you XP and credits.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I haven't finished the story but given this is a BGS game I don't have high expectations when it comes to writing compelling characters. Honestly, if my enjoyment of video games were solely based on how characters are written I probably wouldn't be playing video games, it's a glaring weakness across the board. A game like BG3 is very special due to how well the characters are written.

Fair enough, but just so we're clear, I didn't say my enjoyment of video games is solely (or even remotely) based on how characters are written. However, if the game I'm playing has any sort of individual narrative, I'm expecting them to be compelling. Bethesda gets a free pass because... I don't even know why.

The strength of video game narratives is in the fact that you can interact with them. That is what I find rewarding in playing a game like Starfield, it's reacting to your actions more than most video games in the industry.

Sorry to be blunt, but I can interact with a turd, it doesn't make interacting with shit any more fun.

Within the thread, my first complaint about the game was how disjointed the exploration is. It's easily the game's biggest weakness compared to other BGS RPGs. I find that a fairer critique than saying the game has no exploration. I only argued against that statement. I didn't say the game is doing a good job in rewarding exploration, I just pointed out an instance where I was rewarded for exploration.

The game, when you play it for what it is, has no exploration. You can literally play the game without "exploration" and still gain access to most missions and even side content. The "exploration" bit feels completely tacked on, almost as if it was part of a different game.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Fair enough, but just so we're clear, I didn't say my enjoyment of video games is solely (or even remotely) based on how characters are written. However, if the game I'm playing has any sort of individual narrative, I'm expecting them to be compelling. Bethesda gets a free pass because... I don't even know why.
Not every video game has to have a strong individual narrative. FO4 might have the strongest individual narrative but it conflicted with what folks expect from BGS games. It's pretty common for people in this type of game to go off and do their own thing.
Sorry to be blunt, but I can interact with a turd, it doesn't make interacting with shit any more fun.
I don't know what you are comparing Starfield with to come to the conclusion it's "turd"-like.
The game, when you play it for what it is, has no exploration. You can literally play the game without "exploration" and still gain access to most missions and even side content. The "exploration" bit feels completely tacked on, almost as if it was part of a different game.
If you don't participate in any form of exploration you'll miss a majority of the side content in the game.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Starfield is as mid as I knew it would be just like like ghostwire , deathloop & the god awful redfail maybe Microsoft did do them a favour by buying them because everything they were working in is shite time will tell when we actually see something that started development under Microsofts thumb my bet is that it will be microtransaction central to compensate for lack of sales