Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Just thought I'd share a video of an actual contender for the biggest scope game of all time (not Starfield)

Just watch out since it most definitely contains spoilers.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Unless there is proof, I put this on the same level as the YUGE number of PS Plus cancellations articles. People can talk shit online but it doesn't mean anything as proof of everyone. See the huge boycott of Hogwarts Legacy and the impressive sales figures.

If you believe this you must believe the PS Plus cancellations and vice versa. Same grains of salt.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Unless there is proof, I put this on the same level as the YUGE number of PS Plus cancellations articles. People can talk shit online but it doesn't mean anything as proof of everyone. See the huge boycott of Hogwarts Legacy and the impressive sales figures.

If you believe this you must believe the PS Plus cancellations and vice versa. Same grains of salt.
There is no numbers from PS Plus cancelations.
But for Starfield it increased around 100k the numbers of refunds in the day of the early access launch on Steam.
Typical Steam has around 200k refunds per day... on the early access Starfield launch it peaked to 300k.

Is that normal? Not... most games doesn't have a increase in daily number of refunds.

How much that matter in the big picture? Nobody knows... because we don't how many early access was sold on Steam.... I mean 100k refunds from 500k early access is sensible number but 100k refunds from 2 million early access is not.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
To be fair, I don't think it is anywhere near that colossal screw-up that Fallout 76 was,

I agree that Starfield has been overhyped for sure and has a lot of problems but I don't think they are in the same comparative ballpark.
This is what I'm saying. I'm enjoying the game so far. They used a lot of Expanse designs in the game from what I can tell. Also, the quests are what take you across the galaxy. I would have never hyped the game up to be a free-roaming scifi like Bethsoft did because it's really just an open world RPG that isn't going to be entertaining unless you follow and go specifically where the quests take you.

I just can't get over these videos of the graphcis because what I'm playing (MAX settings) it's a gorgeous game. They have ambient occlusion on everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING! Something most games just don't have.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I just can't get over these videos of the graphcis because what I'm playing (MAX settings) it's a gorgeous game. They have ambient occlusion on everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING! Something most games just don't have.

Dude, common. I'm playing this game in max settings, it's not gorgeous. It has its moments, but its graphics are wildly inconsistent. It doesn't hold a candle to RDR2 or HFW.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Dude, common. I'm playing this game in max settings, it's not gorgeous. It has its moments, but its graphics are wildly inconsistent. It doesn't hold a candle to RDR2 or HFW.
It is gorgeous because it's lighting is great. The textures are great.. the FX are good. I'm not sure what you think it is NOT great and not sure why you are comparing the game to those 2 as only RDR2 has the ambient occlusion that I was talking about (which really helps with lighting). If you are looking for some kind of colory painterly game then it won't look great to you. This game doesn't have that kind of color scheme like HFW. So I'm going to assume your impressions are subjective -- which can't be argued.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Meristation guy gave 5.8 and the Xbox fanboys are very angry

F5FtPhzbMAA_mF1

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
It is gorgeous because it's lighting is great. The textures are great.. the FX are good. I'm not sure what you think it is NOT great and not sure why you are comparing the game to those 2 as only RDR2 has the ambient occlusion that I was talking about (which really helps with lighting). If you are looking for some kind of colory painterly game then it won't look great to you. This game doesn't have that kind of color scheme like HFW. So I'm going to assume your impressions are subjective -- which can't be argued.

Why does having or not having ambient occlusion matter? The game is not gorgeous by any stretch of the imagination, it just isn't. The lighting is not great, it's decent enough. Textures are great in some places, not all - New atlantis comes to mind as a place where some sections look great, while others look Fallout 4 levels of bad. And no, I'm not comparing its colours to HFW, I'm comparing graphical quality. HFW has much better lod and above all, is much more consistent.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Why does having or not having ambient occlusion matter?
This statement shows your ignorance actually. Ambient occlusion is one of the most important things in lighting. It's not something that games can do without.

For example, here is RE4 without AO on EVERYTHING like I mentioned.. The wooden planks need to cast shadow on the wall and it doesn't. I can find this all over HFW as well (we all know HFW doesn't have a good lighting model).

And here is Starfield using AO on every single object.

There is literally NOTHING wrong look-wise to this video. If you would claim what is not beautiful about this ship I'm all ears.