Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Different opinions…

I believe what was adverse should take in consideration of what the game delivered.

A dumb hypothetical example… a game was advertised as a TPS and when the reviewer go score it and find out it is a FPS then he should score it low because he didn’t get what was advertised.

And that affects a lot of consumers that will probably buy the game thinking it is TPS and realize it is a FPS… that consumer has all the right to score it lower and even ask refund.

So if you market/advertise your game buy it end not filling these promises then it should be reviewed lower imo.

Even this hypothetical is really wrong-headed. MGS2 was advertised as a game where you play as Snake. Should reviewers pan it because you actually play as this sniveling kid Raiden?

If your bait-and-switch FPS is actually great, it would read completely insane for a review to be like "I expected 3rd person. 5/10. Poor."

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
guys,guys,guys,guys,guys,guys,guys,guys the PC MC score drop to 87!!!!!!!.Let's Go!!!!!!!!!
You really are enjoying this.

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Even this hypothetical is really wrong-headed. MGS2 was advertised as a game where you play as Snake. Should reviewers pan it because you actually play as this sniveling kid Raiden?

If your bait-and-switch FPS is actually great, it would read completely insane for a review to be like "I expected 3rd person. 5/10. Poor."
Yes… and that is why MGS2 was a bad sequel.

MGS3 and MSG4 are way better games.
Kojima learned with his mistakes.

Anyway MGS2 is a bad example why you still play part of the game as Snake that was used for advertising.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
My impressions after 5 hours. Its a Bethesda game with prettier graphics and same old loading screens galore. That menu navigation is atrocious, and you have to do that everytime to travel between planets.

Why doesn't have an opinion just to pint amd automatically land don't know

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yes… and that is why MGS2 was a bad sequel.

MGS3 and MSG4 are way better games.
Kojima learned with his mistakes.

Anyway MGS2 is a bad example why you still play part of the game as Snake that was used for advertising.
truly unique brain processing at play

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
truly unique brain processing at play
Wut?

Everybody knows MGS2 was a bad game for me and 3 and 4 are basically masterpieces.

And I just said what the game is… you play as Solid Snake for part of the game that makes the advertising correct.

You tried to denial my example but used a example that has nothing to do with my example 🤷‍♂️

If a game was advertised as TPS and the first part of it you play in TPS but the rest in FPS I should not use as an example lol

Hell let’s give you another example…

You advertise a tool that clean up ass but when a reviewer test it doesn’t clean up ass but he unexpectedly found out it clean up nose pretty well… so should he score it higher because it clean up noses instead the advertised ass? Or should you score it lower because it doesn’t do what it is suppose and advertised to do?

You can have fun cleaning your nose but it is a tool that should score low because it doesn’t clean up your ass as advertised.

It is pretty clear… advertising needs to be part of review scores.

PS. I can create dozen of examples with the exactly same meaning…

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Any good meltdowns from resetera about the dunky review or is he conveniently a banned source ?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I've decided to restart my save since I made a bunch of dumb mistakes. Started as an Explorer, and added Alien DNA and Neon Street Rat as my perks. Below is a brief review of my previous experience + current playthrough. I had around 8h with my previous character and am just sitting shy of 4 with my current character.

Graphics [8/10]
  • I'm running the game on the highest possible graphical settings, with diminished motion blur and film grain. I have VRS, DRS set to 0.85, and FSR2 enabled.
  • I have not measured my framerate, but it seems mostly stable and fluid. I'm actually impressed that the game runs as good as it does
  • Quality is inconsistent. Some stuff, like your ship, the first cave, etc. look good, while others, like New Atlantis, look dated. The game is not a looker by any stretch of the imagination, and is behind games like RDR2, HFW, or Cyberpunk.
  • Visually, the game is an ode to interstellar (the movie).
Sound [6/10]
  • Sound design is passable, but the soundtrack... gets on my nerves. Not only there's random volume swells that make little to no sense, but there's also the inappropriate usage of certain tracks that do not fit the mood. Sometimes I glance at an enemy super far away, not engaging in combat, but the game thinks the enemy has gone aggro (they haven't) and plays a more action focused theme.
  • The sountrack itself would not be out of place in interstellar or AI, however it's like the wish version of these. It's very copy paste from recognisable themes. Me and @Dr Bass even discussed this more in depth.
Gameplay [5/10]
  • I'm actually impressed at how well the game controls, but it's dated. Compared to other Bethesda titles it would be a 10/10, but unfortunately I cannot in good conscience leave it at that.
  • You can't reload while running, your character briefly freezes when being attack, especially melee, the "climb" animation is janky as sin, some key bindings make no sense...
  • Inventory management is ass, absolute ass. It's confusing, janky, there's too many menus that make little sense, everything seems like it was designed by a five year old.
  • Loading screens are everywhere and this breaks immersion. While I can almost forgive a loading screen to get into orbit, it's inexcusable to have a loading screen (fade in / fade out) when getting in and out of buildings, or caves. This is archaic game design
  • The AI is pretty bad. While enemies are passable and not completely horrible, your companions and certain AI elements like turrets are... Absolutely redundant, stupid, and borderline useless.. An example comes from a dynamic side quest - I boarded their ship, enabled the turrets to help me defend, and started killing enemies. There was 1 enemy missing, and both the ships captain and the turret were firing... at a wall. He was on the floor below behind a door, stuck.
Story [N/A]
  • Will not comment on the story since I haven't completed the game

"Fun factor"
  • I'm actually having fun. I genuinely feel this game is better than the sum of its parts. If I had to review it based on what I experienced so far and ignoring the story, I'd give the game an 8/10, even though the above would point to a 6/10. My opinion may change, of course.
Good post.

As a note, I've picked up on some more pretty directly lifted music from other movies. Blade Runner, A.I., Alien, and even shades of Star Trek 2. It's kinda shameless in that sense.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
About 2 hours in. Graphics are fine. They're not as bad as they;re made out to be. Atmosphere is nice. Combat is decent. Not the best but it was worse in other Bethesda games.

The only thing I really dislike so far is the performance and menuing. Not only does 30 fps look janky at first (I get used to it) but the game is really slow with menus. To the point that I can't really be bothered opening it to see new stuff.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Out of curiosity guys and girls, can people leave their personal user reviews on Metacritic, or is there some sort of loop that people need to jump through?

@Satoru @Dr Bass @Exanthus have you guys considered this or is it to much work.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
At least on PC, this game highly benefits from VRR/Gsync. My experience on a modest laptop 3060 has been generally very good. Playing locked to 30 on a Series X sounds like a big drawback.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The dunky review seems personal to me and like he has an axe to grind with Microosft in particular. He goes out of his way to expose xbox fanboys (Colt Eastwood in particular) as insane and ends his video with Phil Spencer admitting they cant make good games. Thats more than just not liking Starfield and giving it a 5/10. I wouldnt be surprised, since Dunkys thing is showing glitches in games, that he has been blacklisted and probably threatened in some way behind the scenes from MS and bthesda, both of which make buggy and incomplete games.

Ami reading too much into it?

• haha
Reactions: voke