Starfield

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Looking forward to Starfield but its DOA on consoles, feel bad for anyone not playing on PC.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Remember what happened with Redfall? Well, we all know it was not because of Redfall, but the consistent incompetence from Xbox. The meme 'wait until next year' was born, the constant talk of 'doom and gloom' from Xbox influencers, the 'bait and switch' from Halo: Infinite—'The King is Back,' they said...then a year without releases.

It's crazy to think that Xbox hasn't been able to produce a game/IP that fits the criteria of GOTY/Game of the Generation/Genre Defining Game since Forza Horizon in 2012.

Starfield is one such game... The GOTY/The Game of the Generation/The Genre Defining Game... the most important RPG of the last ten years... But not only that, it has become the savior of Xbox — a savior that the very own President of Gaming and Gamer, Phil Spencer, doesn't believe in.

The thing is; this game should absolutely function as the savior of Xbox.

Every metric MS/Xbox has , should be substantially UP because of this game:

1. Subscribers to Game Pass
2. Engagement
3. Revenue
4. MAU.
5. game sales
and most critically:
6. Xbox console sales.

Just like in movies, when looking at the Box Office earnings during the first two weeks, one can quite accurately project the amount of money the movie will make by the end of its theatrical run.

Starfield's commercial performance should indicate to Microsoft/Xbox how a game of this significance can positively impact the growth and reach of an 'ecosystem' and why such games are fundamental to their ambitions.

you can say: "Oh, don't be so dramatic. Xbox is fine and it will be more than fine in the future". Oh, of course....As a Division. but i am talking of Xbox as a console.

I truly believe Starfield is going to determine whether supporting the Xbox console is worthwhile, or if it's better to discontinue it in order to achieve the Xbox growth that Microsoft needs. This is because, as it stands now, Xbox Consoles hinder and limit the grand vision of Xbox to reach all gamers wherever they choose to play.

and if a game like Star field fails to do so....what else?. remember: Starfield is 20 years in the making...( or something like that).

in normal circumstances there should not be 'concern' or even skepticism.

But we're talking about Xbox and Bethesda, whose track record and reputation are at a low point.

I just have this weird sensation of "How is MS going to fuck up things again".

is going to feel like a true miracle if there is no drama around the game at launch.

• Informative
Reactions: Ezekiel

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Remember what happened with Redfall? Well, we all know it was not because of Redfall, but the consistent incompetence from Xbox. The meme 'wait until next year' was born, the constant talk of 'doom and gloom' from Xbox influencers, the 'bait and switch' from Halo: Infinite—'The King is Back,' they said...then a year without releases.

It's crazy to think that Xbox hasn't been able to produce a game/IP that fits the criteria of GOTY/Game of the Generation/Genre Defining Game since Forza Horizon in 2012.

Starfield is one such game... The GOTY/The Game of the Generation/The Genre Defining Game... the most important RPG of the last ten years... But not only that, it has become the savior of Xbox — a savior that the very own President of Gaming and Gamer, Phil Spencer, doesn't believe in.

2. Engagement
3. Revenue
4. MAU.
5. game sales
and most critically:
6. Xbox console sales.

Just like in movies, when looking at the Box Office earnings during the first two weeks, one can quite accurately project the amount of money the movie will make by the end of its theatrical run.

Starfield's commercial performance should indicate to Microsoft/Xbox how a game of this significance can positively impact the growth and reach of an 'ecosystem' and why such games are fundamental to their ambitions.

you can say: "Oh, don't be so dramatic. Xbox is fine and it will be more than fine in the future". Oh, of course....As a Division. but i am talking of Xbox as a console.

I truly believe Starfield is going to determine whether supporting the Xbox console is worthwhile, or if it's better to discontinue it in order to achieve the Xbox growth that Microsoft needs. This is because, as it stands now, Xbox Consoles hinder and limit the grand vision of Xbox to reach all gamers wherever they choose to play.

and if a game like Star field fails to do so....what else?. remember: Starfield is 20 years in the making...( or something like that).

But we're talking about Xbox and Bethesda, whose track record and reputation are at a low point.

is going to feel like a true miracle if there is no drama around the game at launch.

The lack of advertising makes me think they might know it’s a turd.

But I could be wrong.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I don't think the marketing not kicking off right now is big deal. If we don't see any marketing around 2 weeks before launch then that is weird.

It was probably better they didn't start marketing now anyway, baldurs gate 3 would have overshadowed it.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

2. Engagement
3. Revenue
4. MAU.
5. game sales
and most critically:
6. Xbox console sales.

Imo the game will do well on PC (but below expectations) and absolutely horrible on xbox. They really dug their own grave with the gamepass strategy. It's going to turn a game that could've sold 20m+ to a game that sells ~8-10m.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
To me these kind of games you can try them on game pass but if you really want to play them you have to buy them.

I haven't done everything in Skyrim and not even played lots of the total conversions the game has and still put 350 hs on it. How the heck do you play 350 hours of a game in GP? It would be more expensive than buying the game.

Game pass is great for:

Seeing how a game runs on PC
Playing shorter/smaller games.
Playing games out of your comfort zone
Trying big games and purchase later.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
To me these kind of games you can try them on game pass but if you really want to play them you have to buy them.

I haven't done everything in Skyrim and not even played lots of the total conversions the game has and still put 350 hs on it. How the heck do you play 350 hours of a game in GP? It would be more expensive than buying the game.

Game pass is great for:

Ideally they wouldn’t be subscribing to only gamepass and just get hooked into the sub forever.

Plenty of players just b-line to the game’s finish. Casuals in other words. That’s fine tho. You don’t have to see everything and plenty will not bother. Would I? If I liked the game then yes extensively but that’s subjective to each of us so whatever.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Game is forgotten already, nobody is talking about it, the marketing push is barely existent.
Then came Larian and stole Starfield's thunder.
BG3 will come sweeping awards, Starfield never had a chance.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

2. Engagement
3. Revenue
4. MAU.
5. game sales
and most critically:
6. Xbox console sales.

You have to go all the way back to 2012 to find Forza Horizon, the 85 MC Xbox "masterpiece". :ROFLMAO:

They then proceeded to milk it to death.

The bar for Xbox is so low.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Game pass is great for:

This is one of the fatal flaws of Gamepass. I also disagree that it's good for 'shorter/smaller' games because they're usually about the cost of one month of GP. Like if you're a subscriber and mostly played Tunic over 2 months, you got ripped off.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Game pass is great for:

It's only more expensive if that's the reason you've signed up for the service. If you're getting constant high quality games, then it all basically evens out (in theory).

But we also know that ain't happening.

I have the GP for a dollar thing that lasts until 2025. I haven't really used it, but for Starfield I will. But I am so sick of subscriptions for everything and the fact they are constantly going up. I just want to be done with it all.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's only more expensive if that's the reason you've signed up for the service. If you're getting constant high quality games, then it all basically evens out (in theory).

But we also know that ain't happening.

I have the GP for a dollar thing that lasts until 2025. I haven't really used it, but for Starfield I will. But I am so sick of subscriptions for everything and the fact they are constantly going up. I just want to be done with it all.

The thing is that even if you got the best games on the market on a monthly basis, you would still have to find the time to play them all which is impossible if you have a full time job.

So you would be paying for a subscription that you would be barely using. This goes beyond GP... more of a common theme of the "use it or lose it" subscription model.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The thing is that even if you got the best games on the market on a monthly basis, you would still have to find the time to play them all which is impossible if you have a full time job.

So you would be paying for a subscription that you would be barely using. This goes beyond GP... more of a common theme of the "use it or lose it" subscription model.
I agree with you there. Time is the premium commodity, and it's one of the big reasons I don't like subs. I don't have time to sit and play all this stuff, and I wouldn't want to anyway. It's another reason I liken GP to a cheap all you can eat buffet. Yeah it encourages you to eat a ton of crap, but I would rather pay more for a smaller, healthier, tastier meal.

And the way things are going, I don't think GP is going to be cheaper than just buying what you want anyway. There is practically nothing on GP I would buy as it is. I don't even want my Xbox lol.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If Bethesda brings there Fallout 4, Skyrim game then it will do well. If it scores anything below 8/10, it will have big issues.

They might not do the best combat and pure gameplay but they can pull off an engaging world which is more than enough for alot of gamers.

For example Kingdom Come had a great world but the combat was just too awful for me to play And get engaged. Skyrim combat wasnt amazing but decent enough to enjoy the world. I prefer NPC’s like in Trails in the Sky series because I find it a bit deeper but most other studios arent coming close to Skyrim in there open world games etc

Overall for me, I prefer oblivion setting to Fallout or this kind of space sci fi, but for fans it could be just what they are looking for

Last edited:
Reactions: Frozone

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Well hopefully they will have a polished product with very little bugs. That's my main concern is the bugs. Bethsoft can make an RPG with excellent stories and quests. That's not my worry.

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
I'm a big fan of BGS's work. Starfield looks to be their most ambitious game yet and I hope they stick the landing.

The gunplay looks to have improved. I hope their character work has as well. I hope they've gotten enough support from Xbox to get their games less buggy.

All in all, I'm hyped to get lost in my own adventure within a new BGS Open World.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
1eie7f.jpg

20ndg3.jpg

My genuine sympathies to anyone who thinks Starfield isn't going to be an utter juggernaut.