Steam has been blocked in Vietnam

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Vietnamese gamers may have been restricted access to Steam. This is reported by the SteamDB service, which drew attention to mass complaints from users from Vietnam.

Screenshot of Reddit post on r/Steam (Image via esports.gg)

Screenshot of Reddit post on r/Steam (Image via esports.gg)
According to various posts online, Steam appears to have been banned in Vietnam as of May 7. Vietnamese users on Steam forums, Reddit, and other social media platforms state that their internet service provider (ISPs) are completely blocking access to the platform.

There is currently no official explanation from ISPs or the government for Steam's ban. However, people believe this may due to a large amount of the platform's content not adhering to local regulations.

Last edited:

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
this is what you get in Vietnam now when trying to access the store
xzCrSR8.png

Ico

8 May 2024
the creator of the reddit post said:
Steam is already on shaky legal ground in Vietnam, due to the company not having a local office here. Which means lost tax revenue and no content policing in accordance with local regulation. To make things worse, the platform is getting popular, causing domestic publishers anxiety. I've already figured that one day, the platform would be blocked in Vietnam. I just didn't think that it would happen this quickly, and suddenly.

so, youre telling me that steam ignored local regulation and kept selling games there, knowing that the platform could be blocked harming all their costumers that live in vietnam? god, pc gamers are going to destroy steam now, the playstation crisis we just saw bc of helldivers 2 will be childs play compared to this (sike)

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
the creator of the reddit post said:

so, youre telling me that steam ignored local regulation and kept selling games there, knowing that the platform could be blocked harming all their costumers that live in vietnam? god, pc gamers are going to destroy steam now, the playstation crisis we just saw bc of helldivers 2 will be childs play compared to this (sike)
look, how steambots will hide in caves now like bats at day time.

Last edited:

Ico

8 May 2024
@Yuniac @Exicide we need your help. Get your boys and start boycotting and review-bombing everything on Steam.
honestly, review bombing isnt enough, sony threatened some customers to lose $40 and we had steam allowing refund even if you had more than 2 hours of gameplay. The vietnamese players could lose hundreds or thousands of dollars with this, losing their entire library, we need pc players asking for refund of their libraries to make an even bigger impact, they already showed they can cause big changes, its time to save our viatnamese brothers !!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
So do we boycott Steam now? Won't somebody think of the people in Vietnam not being able to buy games?
Imagine if you thought before you spoke.

It's the gov there that banned it, not Steam stopping its services there.

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
But Steam offered their service there illegally. Do you think they didn't know they could be banned at any time?
It's not Steam's fault. If anything, Steam was providing cheap and convent means to people who live in shitty countries to get to play games and have some enjoyment in their already horrible lives.

A shitty authoritarian government is the one to blame here and I hope they reverse this ban.

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Doesn't matter. It was illegal. I sure hope you delete your Steam account. Wouldn't want to just virtue signal now, would we?
Was it illegal? and if so how did Steam operate for years...? I'm still waiting for people to think before they speak.

Why would I delete my account?

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
It's not Steam's fault. If anything, Steam was providing cheap and convent means to people who live in shitty countries to get to play games and have some enjoyment in their already horrible lives.

A shitty authoritarian government is the one to blame here and I hope they reverse this ban.
Ah the hypocrisy....

Don't you have any empathy or sympathy for all the poor players who for years spent their hard earned money on Steam, while Steam was operating illegally, and now that they are rightfully banned, all these people lost everything?

I think you should get loud again, this time against Steam. Refund as much as you can, review-bomb everything until your fingertips start bleeding. That's the only right thing to do right now.

Last edited: