Steam has been blocked in Vietnam

Ico

8 May 2024
It's not Steam's fault. If anything, Steam was providing cheap and convent means to people who live in shitty countries to get to play games and have some enjoyment in their already horrible lives.

A shitty authoritarian government is the one to blame here and I hope they reverse this ban.
This is not authoritarianism, its just how economies and regulations work in every country, vietnam would 100% allow steam to operate there if they had an office and paid their taxes like any other honest business already do there. Its not like vietnam is going "games bad, ban every game now!", you just have a company avoiding rules to make profit and now they got caught.

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
This is not authoritarianism, its just how economies and regulations work in every country, vietnam would 100% allow steam to operate there if they had an office and paid their taxes like any other honest business already do there. Its not like vietnam is going "games bad, ban every game now!", you just have a company avoiding rules to make profit and now they got caught.
Valve has one office and it's in the USA. Yet it operates all over the world, everything you wrote is just pure cope and stupidity. You people are mentally deranged, first you excuse Sony for pulling the rug from under paying customers now you are excusing a shitty government that wants to take people's stuff away and limit their freedom.

But no problem, you fit right in with the masses on this website.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It's not Steam's fault. If anything, Steam was providing cheap and convent means to people who live in shitty countries to get to play games and have some enjoyment in their already horrible lives.

A shitty authoritarian government is the one to blame here and I hope they reverse this ban.
Steam broke the rules. That "shitty authoritarian government" is just trying to make sure American corpos can't circumvent the law. You loved it when the shoe was on the other foot. Never heard you cry about Valve's shitty authoritarian policies when Sony was selling Helldivers on their turf.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

'shitty countries' wow

Ico

8 May 2024
Valve has one office and it's in the USA. Yet it operates all over the world, everything you wrote is just pure cope and stupidity. You people are mentally deranged, first you excuse Sony for pulling the rug from under paying customers now you are excusing a shitty government that wants to take people's stuff away and limit their freedom.

I'm sorry to ruin any expectations you had for me as a new member, hope you dont hate me for it, but as someone that lives in a "shitty country" like you said, it pisses me off how big companies think they can have their way with us and if our country try to fit them into any of our regulations they pull the card of "muh american freedom".

Talking seriously now, without being a pissed off fanboy, I get that their laws might be impractical but didnt they think about that before doing business there? They arent amateurs. This situation isnt that much different from what sony did, sony ignored that they didnt had psn in some countries, and valve ignored what kind of business customs they were dealing with, like "hey, that country seems hard to do business with, it may bite us in the future, lets do it anyway and profit". Will they refund the vietnamese gamers if the government doesnt reverse the ban?

Banana

10 Jan 2023

True playstation fans are on Steam according to sony, so these must be xbots.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
I'm sorry to ruin any expectations you had for me as a new member, hope you dont hate me for it, but as someone that lives in a "shitty country" like you said, it pisses me off how big companies think they can have their way with us and if our country try to fit them into any of our regulations they pull the card of "muh american freedom".

Talking seriously now, without being a pissed off fanboy, I get that their laws might be impractical but didnt they think about that before doing business there? They arent amateurs. This situation isnt that much different from what sony did, sony ignored that they didnt had psn in some countries, and valve ignored what kind of business customs they were dealing with, like "hey, that country seems hard to do business with, it may bite us in the future, lets do it anyway and profit". Will they refund the vietnamese gamers if the government doesnt reverse the ban?
How about Vietnamese stay off the internet since it is an american invention then? Problem solved.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
@Yuniac @Exicide we need your help. Get your boys and start boycotting and review-bombing everything on Steam.
This isn't really something you can fix with a boycott like that, though? This is something legal between Steam and that entire country. (if its really a block and not somehow an outage)

I have sympathy for everyone affected there but this time there is nothing a user can do about it, don't try to take the goodwill of people for granted, once again, no one gives a fuck about having to link their PSN, it was about the countries, that was purely a publisher issue, NOT the entirety of Steam either blocking Vietnam or Steam being blocked by Vietnam.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
from doing a little research, people seem to be saying this is why.

It has to do with Steam not having a legal representation in Vietnam and that they don't go through regulation like other "official releases," Keep in mind, page is translated with GT, it's normally in Vietnamese.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
This isn't really something you can fix with a boycott like that, though? This is something legal between Steam and that entire country. (if its really a block and not somehow an outage)

I have sympathy for everyone affected there but this time there is nothing a user can do about it, don't try to take the goodwill of people for granted, once again, no one gives a fuck about having to link their PSN, it was about the countries, that was purely a publisher issue, NOT the entirety of Steam either blocking Vietnam or Steam being blocked by Vietnam.

You sure? You could start refunding all of your eligible purchases and review-bomb as much as possible until Steam at the very least refunds all the vietnamese Steam accounts, if they are not able to restore services there.

I heard of the famous "willpower" of the PC userbase, now it's the perfect time to show it!

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
There is not a single ounce of integrity in any of the steam users. These people use vpn's to buy games in argentina, Buy keys from shady websites like G2A, encourage piracy although Steam has some of the best sales possible. Master race my ass most of the pc users are piss poor imbeciles that own 1060 's and the 3050's

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
You sure? You could start refunding all of your eligible purchases and review-bomb as much as possible until Steam at the very least refunds all the vietnamese Steam accounts, if they are not able to restore services there.

I heard of the famous "willpower" of the PC userbase, now it's the perfect time to show it!
that literally is not how that works, quit being disingenuous, you're not even making any sense at all. Please explain to me how you're making any sense with that comment?

It worked with Helldivers because it was ONE game, ONE publisher at fault, make it known to the publisher you're not happy with their choice, done.

Vietnam blocked Steam because Steam didn't need to go through regulation process in their country, Vietnam wants steam to have legal representation in their country to continue selling, to Vietnam, Steam is nothing more than a place you can "buy pirated games." Do tell me why the Vietnamese government would care about what Steam users have to say from another country?

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
that literally is not how that works, quit being disingenuous, you're not even making any sense at all. Please explain to me how you're making any sense with that comment?

It worked with Helldivers because it was ONE game, ONE publisher at fault, make it known to the publisher you're not happy with their choice, done.

Vietnam blocked Steam because Steam didn't need to go through regulation process in their country, Vietnam wants steam to have legal representation in their country to continue selling, to Vietnam, Steam is nothing more than a place you can "buy pirated games." Do tell me why the Vietnamese government would care about what Steam users have to say from another country?
Maybe if you steam hypocrites banded together to refund games so valve is forced to have legal representation in vietnam? or is that energy only kept for making free online accounts?

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Maybe if you steam hypocrites banded together to refund games so valve is forced to have legal representation in vietnam? or is that energy only kept for making free online accounts?
Jesus christ will you all quit it with the "oh they're just too lazy to make accounts! steamtards this! steamtards that!" it's honestly kind of sad,

I and many other steam users already have accounts, anyone whining and whinging about not wanting to is just as sad as you're being right now, I have no qualms with linking my PSN, I was only against the change because Sony sold in countries that do not have official support for PSN. If Sony hadn't done that, then virtually no one would care except for a very, VERY loud minority.

If you genuinely think Steam users refunding games so Valve is forced to get legal representation in a country like Vietnam will work, you're off your rocker. It only worked in Helldivers 2's case because it was one singular publisher who fucked up, not the Vietnamese government.