Stellar Blade is estimated to have sold over 1 million copies according to Shift Up | Developer Confirms they are looking into PC Version

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Why are they throwing PlayStation Exclusives under the bus? User score means nothing in an Era of review bombing. The game is mediocre compared to the other PlayStation exclusives.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 220 billion won in sales roughly equivalent to 150million usd, that should mean 2 million copies sold considering 70 million is the revenue for 1 million copies sold

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022

Why are they throwing PlayStation Exclusives under the bus? User score means nothing in an Era of review bombing. The game is mediocre compared to the other PlayStation exclusives.

That's subjective. If you're into sexy main leads and anime-style cyberpunk scifi-action, then yeah something like Stellar Blade would be above most of SIE's 1P output for you.

I mean we're in a time where a lot of people'd rather play something like Stellar Blade than Spiderman 2, but "a lot" is relative. Going by sales numbers it's clear a game like Spiderman 2 has the bigger audience by at least 10:1, but there are still pockets of people who have or who would buy a system like PS5 for games like Stellar Blade primarily rather than for games like Spiderman 2.

And that type of person would be in the hardcore/core enthusiast slice of the customer base, they're likely the type who does a lot of spending on game software and services in comparison to other people in the ecosystem anyway (or at least by a comparable amount).

Reactions: Systemshock2023

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
the main consumer base for AAA games has been shifting to PCs? What a bunch of bullshit 😂

Earlier I was attacked as being a "faux expert" by some people on this board.

I don't think they understand what expertise is.

Statements like this kind of allude to what people see as false expertise and there could be some element lost in translation.

The fact is that the PC has a pretty consistent sized userbase to sell to. Right not that's considerably larger than the PS5 userbase which was recently at 60 million units. Towards the end of the PS5's life cycle, it's going to have considerably more active users buying current gen games than PC and when the PS6 comes out that will continue to be true because the industry will embrace PlayStation as a Platform which will include PS5 and PS6.

It's possible he has more data on domestic behavior in Korea, but it certainly isn't true that AAA gaming is moving more towards PC and it is certainly true that PS5 hasn't outsold the PS4 yet, but these are misnomers.

GTA6 is going to shift the industry significantly, especially if it has an online mode. People playing GTA Online will shift to the new game in droves. It's no contest and so many of them will do it day 1 that we're likely to see PS5 sell out in the west, including the PS5 Pro.

Sony knows all of this. The only people doubting it are fanboys angry about PC ports and while this comment wasn't meant to drive these fanboys, it'll certainly be used as fuel by them. Since this is an "expert".

You can have two "experts" tell you two completely contradictory things.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

It's actually one of the best PS exclsuives this gen. Give me this over horizon any day.

New IP
First Time AAA dev
Exclusive to PS5
+1 million sold in less than 2 months

gaming forums: major flop

swear a lot of folks need to see Zelda numbers to think anything is successful.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

They're trying to excuse why this game hasn't sold super well.

And no, in today's age 1 million is not enough given the budget of these games.

Even if this game only cost 50 million to develop.. that's not a sufficient return on investment for anyone involved.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
It's actually one of the best PS exclsuives this gen. Give me this over horizon any day.

New IP
First Time AAA dev
Exclusive to PS5

Didn’t dragon’s dogma sold like 2 millions on multiple platforms and was considered a success?

Reactions: saltyashell

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
the main consumer base for AAA games has been shifting to PCs? What a bunch of bullshit 😂
Maybe he means specifically in Korea… where AAA space is practically nonexistent

If this game was a PC exclusive, it wouldn’t even get 200k sales. 99% of AAA games on PC do significantly worse compared to PS5. The AAA market could easily exist and still be very healthy without PC but it’d die without PS. That’s why Rockstar isn’t in a rush to put gta 6 on pc.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

New IP
First Time AAA dev
Exclusive to PS5

100% and I love Zelda lol

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Didn’t dragon’s dogma sold like 2 millions on multiple platforms and was considered a success?
It sold 3 million in a familiar time frame, it’s also an established franchise thats been bubbling for many years, and multiplatform.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
As long as SU made enough money to keep the games coming, I’m happy, and gamers win.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

New IP
First Time AAA dev
Exclusive to PS5

just idiots thinks this is major flop.

it is massive success for them, especially with massive hit pieces and other nonsense. they were swimming against the current for sometime before release.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
1 million it's excellent for a new IP

Don't forget bayonetta 3 was only 1 million too on much larger installbase

1719339831-image.jpg

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
Good numbers.
I know it could have sold better, if it wasn’t for all the slander and BS from Western journalists.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
24 Jun 2022
They're trying to excuse why this game hasn't sold super well.

And no, in today's age 1 million is not enough given the budget of these games.

Even if this game only cost 50 million to develop.. that's not a sufficient return on investment for anyone involved.

And how would you know that? Do you have access to the budget documents? By your logic, a game like SF6 should've also been considered a failure because that game did ~ 2 million in a similar span of time across a lot of additional platforms (PS5, PS4, XBS, PC (Steam)).

You also seem to forget this game was part of SIE's China Hero Project; you've no idea what subsidizations were involved in the project, or things like tax breaks or special loans from South Korean banks, or funds provided by Chinese investment firms as part of the China Hero Project, etc. As well, the game is only two months old; it will have the rest of the generation to sell copies, it will have a PC port in the future, and its presence in the meantime on the console along with other games will help provide value proposition that interests more people to buy PS5s.

The idea that every single game, even if it's an exclusive, has to on its own be a mega-gangbuster sales behemoth to justify itself in the market is born from nonsensical and greedy shareholders who don't comprehend the non-tangible benefits exclusives bring to a platform for its platform holder. These types of people are shockingly short-term thinkers and lack the nuance of longer-term market outlooks or a historical understanding of the industry from multiple perspectives to extrapolate a polished long-term outlook thereof.

I don't know if you realize this, but you are inadvertently playing right into the rhetoric various games "journalists" and Xbox console warriors have been using the past few years to diminish various PlayStation exclusives in their pursuit to make exclusives (mainly 3P exclusives) look "anti-consumer"...but only when PlayStation does it. That's the only time it matters (apparently).

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
And how would you know that? Do you have access to the budget documents? By your logic, a game like SF6 should've also been considered a failure because that game did ~ 2 million in a similar span of time across a lot of additional platforms (PS5, PS4, XBS, PC (Steam)).

You also seem to forget this game was part of SIE's China Hero Project; you've no idea what subsidizations were involved in the project, or things like tax breaks or special loans from South Korean banks, or funds provided by Chinese investment firms as part of the China Hero Project, etc. As well, the game is only two months old; it will have the rest of the generation to sell copies, it will have a PC port in the future, and its presence in the meantime on the console along with other games will help provide value proposition that interests more people to buy PS5s.

The idea that every single game, even if it's an exclusive, has to on its own be a mega-gangbuster sales behemoth to justify itself in the market is born from nonsensical and greedy shareholders who don't comprehend the non-tangible benefits exclusives bring to a platform for its platform holder. These types of people are shockingly short-term thinkers and lack the nuance of longer-term market outlooks or a historical understanding of the industry from multiple perspectives to extrapolate a polished long-term outlook thereof.

I don't know if you realize this, but you are inadvertently playing right into the rhetoric various games "journalists" and Xbox console warriors have been using the past few years to diminish various PlayStation exclusives in their pursuit to make exclusives (mainly 3P exclusives) look "anti-consumer"...but only when PlayStation does it. That's the only time it matters (apparently).
Lol, this guy is such a hypocrite 😂 He considers the PC port initiatives a success when they can barely generate 30 million profit after 3+ years. But Stellar Blade generating well over 30 million in 1 month is bad? 🤣

When the game goes to PC and sells 50k copies, he will say it's amazing 🤡 just like his corporate overlords.