Summer Game Fest 2023 | OT | June 8, 2PM PDT/3PM EDT/9PM CEST/8PM BST

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It’s a new trailer. What are you talking about?
I was saying that releasing a new trailer of a game that already had one and also had platforms and release date window isn't a megaton.

I'm just curious how much of this is Atlus's decision vs Sega's, and the latter basically bringing Atlus along. Though IIRC the original terms of that acquisition were that Atlus would basically be allowed to choose where to focus their efforts, so unless that has changed, I would guess it's at least as much Atlus's decision as it is Sega's.

I'm curious what's going to happen with Persona 6 especially if hardcore fans who usually buy on PS Day 1 decide they wait for it to eventually go to Game Pass. Unless it's multiplat Day 1 and somehow MS gets it in Game Pass, could see that being both a big move but also a kick in the crotch to a decently sized subset of the core fanbase.

It's a risky game they're playing with some of these moves, that's for certain.
Sega decided a couple years ago that Sega woud focus more on multiplatform, game subs, worldwide simultaneous releases and better localization, plus also reviving Sega IPs in multiple ways. And this is what Sega is doing.

Atlus is a Sega subsidiary, so they follow Sega's orders and strategy.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I get that the last few conferences have been boring, but no need to wag fingers at me for telling it like it is 🤷‍♂️
Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I'm was saying that releasing a new trailer of a game that already had one and also had platforms and release date window isn't a megaton.

I still don’t get the distinction. It’s a new trailer that showed a lot more than the reveal trailer. And there’s a release window now.

That’s enough of a megaton for some people. Especially fans of the game.

24 Jun 2022
I'm was saying that releasing a new trailer of a game that already had one and also had platforms and release date window isn't a megaton.

Sega decided a couple years ago that Sega woud focus more on multiplatform, game subs, worldwide simultaneous releases and better localization, plus also reviving Sega IPs in multiple ways. And this is what Sega is doing.

Atlus is a Sega subsidiary, so they follow Sega's orders and strategy.

I get that's their strategy, but I'm asking from the perspective of how some diehard/core Persona fans may feel about it, particularly in the West. If moves like MS getting Persona games into Game Pass, or getting marketing deals with the IP in Western territories, causes them to consider stop buying the games outright and just sub to a service like GP for cheap and play it there, or wait for the game to go on sale.

Because while I'm not sure how much it costs MS in particular to make these specific deals for Game Pass, I'm guessing it works on a similar dynamic to Sony's deals with Square-Enix for Final Fantasy games, but somewhat in reverse. I.e the more Sega/Atlus can depend on B2P software sales on non-Game Pass platforms (or places where Game Pass is small factor), the less it costs Microsoft for deals like Persona games in Game Pass Day 1.

Because if so, I think it should shut up the people who complain about Sony not needing to pay as much as Microsoft for 3P exclusivity deals, because MS deals for Game Pass would predicate themselves on similar principals just in different ways. Where instead of costing less because B2P sales are weak on competing platforms, you pay less because B2P sales are stronger on other platforms.

That's what I am thinking about here.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Neither Elden ring dlc or armored core 6 was here. Surely they won’t be at Xbox’s show will they?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I still don’t get the distinction. It’s a new trailer that showed a lot more than the reveal trailer. And there’s a release window now.

That’s enough of a megaton for some people. Especially fans of the game.
Well, people considered megatons the big bombs, some very huge and unexpected game changing news regarding game announcements.

Stuff like some big iconic exclusive going multiplatform (as when it happened with GTA or Final Fantasy) or when there's some unexpected but highly awaited huge return announced (as when happened with Final Fantasy VII Remake or The Last Guardian) and as exclusive etc. or some super important acquisitions (like Bethesda, Activision Blizzard or Bungie).

Regarding this trailer yes, it was a great trailer, really awesome one. I'm pretty sure it will be a top tier game and fans will love it, and its exclusivity will be important. But I think that since it was a trailer for a game we already saw and knew was going to be exclusive and released in that timeframe I don't consider it as a very surprising news.

I get that's their strategy, but I'm asking from the perspective of how some diehard/core Persona fans may feel about it, particularly in the West. If moves like MS getting Persona games into Game Pass, or getting marketing deals with the IP in Western territories, causes them to consider stop buying the games outright and just sub to a service like GP for cheap and play it there, or wait for the game to go on sale.

Because while I'm not sure how much it costs MS in particular to make these specific deals for Game Pass, I'm guessing it works on a similar dynamic to Sony's deals with Square-Enix for Final Fantasy games, but somewhat in reverse. I.e the more Sega/Atlus can depend on B2P software sales on non-Game Pass platforms (or places where Game Pass is small factor), the less it costs Microsoft for deals like Persona games in Game Pass Day 1.

Because if so, I think it should shut up the people who complain about Sony not needing to pay as much as Microsoft for 3P exclusivity deals, because MS deals for Game Pass would predicate themselves on similar principals just in different ways. Where instead of costing less because B2P sales are weak on competing platforms, you pay less because B2P sales are stronger on other platforms.

That's what I am thinking about here.
I think fans won't care if games go multiplatform as long as they can continue playing the on their favorite platform.

Sega also isn't only including some of their games on GP, but also in PS+ or (old classics) in the Nintendo sub. Not only old games, remember Virtua Fighter was day one on PS+. I also think fans won't care, if they have this platform or gamesub will like to see the games included there, as back then I was happy to see Virtua Fighter in PS+.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Because Geoff might have had a deal with Square to show it at SGF for quite awhile?

A bunch of you guys act like Sony can just do whatever it wants, and the only reason something doesn't happen is because it's "dumb."

Big industries like these, just like anything else, revolves around relationships and my guess is Geoff has a lot of very good relationships with many different companies and people. So some of them might actually want to help him put on his show.
Could have switched Spider-Man with one of the shitty GaaS they showed on their conference.

I'm not one of the doom and gloom people but it's ridiculous having your first/second party announcements on a 3rd party show instead of your own. All while deciding to focus on what look like generic GaaS we've seen a million times before and all in CGI trailers too.

Since Sony has been skipping all major events for a while now, you'd think they'd put more effort into a showcase after not having one for 2 years.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Tbh, Atlus making gamepass deals with Microsoft is very smart. The games wouldn’t sell on Xbox because that userbase don’t play JRPGs, so they get GP money and then proceed to actually sell the games on PlayStation and switch 😂