Super Mario Wonder Official Review Thread.

What will be the score?

• 60-70

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 71-80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 81-90

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • 91 to goty contender

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
We will agree to disagree.

They are well made, plays amazing and give a lot of fun.

I will say the Mario 2D platform formula will be fun forever... it is fun for both hardcore and casuals.
The classic 2D Marios, especially SMB3 and World were both timeless game design, and cutting edge in their time. Nintendo hasn't been cutting edge for their time since the Gamecube era, and their game design is increasingly self-referential rather than timeless. The modern indie scene puts Nintendo to shame. The spirit of classic Nintendo is in games like Tunic, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Stray, Guacamelee, It Takes Two, and so many more.

To their credit, I respect Nintendo's commitment to local multiplayer, which is a drought on most other platforms.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The classic 2D Marios, especially SMB3 and World were both timeless game design, and cutting edge in their time. Nintendo hasn't been cutting edge for their time since the Gamecube era, and their game design is increasingly self-referential rather than timeless. The modern indie scene puts Nintendo to shame. The spirit of classic Nintendo is more with games like Tunic, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Guacamelee, and so many more.

To their credit, I respect Nintendo's commitment to local multiplayer, which is a drought on most other platforms.
Well... most if not all modern 2D platform indie games are shit to me... lacks a lot of things that make 2D platform fun.
Mario always hits the right spot 🤷‍♂️

From you list for example I played Cuphead, Hollow Knight and Guacamelee (these last two are more metrovania)... and they fall below this new Mario and in the Guacamelee and Hollow Knight below the Nintendo's Metroids.

The gameplay for example is not perfect like Mario or Metroid.

PS. It Takes Two feels more like Little Big Planet Adventure than Mario 2D... and I put Mario 2D as superior platform game... this new Mario 2D even watching it is fun.

Last edited:

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Stellar Ass?

Personally I think it probably be mediocre, except the ass.

I mean if you got Ass taste you probably like it.

Still day one if the as.. the combat is good

yeah of course we Like the game for the combat. 😏
What? Lmfao. Dude I would never like never I mean never skip spiderman over some indie looking game like Mario. Never . I want spectacle, I want graphics animation cinematics that blows my mind.

No respect towards mr videogame? All just graphical spectacles that’ll look outdated in a year?

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Voted goty contender and still surprised to see how’s it’s reviewing. Looks like what Super Mario World was to me as a kid… and in the era where Mario is the biggest thing in movies too? Jeez. I won’t be surprised if this ends up doing 80 million.

Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Watching some videos made me remember playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii with a ex-girlfriend at her home.
I don't have much memory from this girl (to be fair I remember her father better than her... he was really great) but I really remember that Super Mario Bros. Wii time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75 and Arc

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Watching some videos made me remember playing Super Mario Bros. Wii with a ex-girlfriend at her home.
I don't have much memory from this girl (to be fair I remember her father better than her... he was really great) but I really remember that Super Mario Bros. Wii time.
NSMB always kind of struggled with adhering too closely to the past, I think. Fun games, and quite well made, but they refused to evolve.

The one exception is how much fun playing real Mario co-op for the first time was. Two player, four player, it doesn’t matter. It was absolutely nutty, and hilarious fun, because actually your worst enemy was your SO or friends getting in the way, lol.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
IMG_8145.gif

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
In what planet? Halo Infinite is a bland, last gen looking game, with shitty production value. HFW, while not the best game of all time, is head and shoulders above it.

Yeah, either the halo infinite score needs to be lower or horizon’s score needs to be higher

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The classic 2D Marios, especially SMB3 and World were both timeless game design, and cutting edge in their time. Nintendo hasn't been cutting edge for their time since the Gamecube era, and their game design is increasingly self-referential rather than timeless. The modern indie scene puts Nintendo to shame. The spirit of classic Nintendo is in games like Tunic, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Stray, Guacamelee, It Takes Two, and so many more.

My favourite and deserving of a proper remake:

sddefault.jpg

Yeah, either the halo infinite score needs to be lower or horizon’s score needs to be higher

Halo is a 7/10 at best. For it to be an 87, HFW needs to be a full perfect 100, which it isn't.

Hell, the most overrated game of all time, Elden Ring, is 100x the game infinite is, and a 9 point delta is just a travesty.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Better than midfield, on par with spider man 2.
Both Sony and Nintendo are killing it this year.

Calverz

28 Mar 2023
Biggest release this month. Easily. Will sell gangbusters like starfield last month. Congrats to Nintendo and Microsoft. Both killing it this year.