Switch 2: Reveal early october and $400 for basic SKU, Two Models

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
IPhone doesn't have physical software either numbnuts

Foolish response.

Retailers get a cut of iPhone revenue and they're also able to sell an assortment of high margin accessories at retail. Cases, chargers, cables, car mounts, car chargers, pop sockets plus other products like Apple Watches, airpods, e.t.c.

And the major retailers that carry iPhone are primarily carriers, who also want you to sign up for their services.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Retailers get a cut of iPhone revenue and they're also able to sell an assortment of high margin accessories at retail. Cases, chargers, cables, car mounts, car chargers, pop sockets plus other products like Apple Watches, airpods, e.t.c.
And retailers can't do the same for Steam deck because...? There are also accessories for the system. Valve also has other physical products

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
And retailers can't do the same for Steam deck because...? There are also accessories for the system. Valve also has other physical products

How much demand is there for steam deck specific accessories? What value is in it for retailers to take up precious physical space to sell the steam deck?

There is a reason why Valve doesn't sell the steam deck in retail and its because the margins aren't there AND physical retail has no interest in all digital niche products.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
How much demand is there for steam deck specific accessories? What value is in it for retailers to take up precious physical space to sell the steam deck?
Seems like a catch 22 here. Steam deck accessories don't get demand because the deck doesn't sell in retail. Deck doesn't sell in retail because Valve is boneheaded and doesnt go to retailers there are no accessories.

Except... there's also another all digital console that has been selling in retail. It's called the Oculus Quest 2. 20 million units sold in retail despite no physical presence.

Not to mention the entire home computer market as a whole doesn't do physical media yet computers are still selling. PS5 Digital exists and is being sold in stores despite no physical appearance.

You either do retail or you don't. This seems more like a choice on Valves end rather than a choice on the retailers end.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Seems like a catch 22 here. Steam deck accessories don't get demand because the deck doesn't sell in retail. Deck doesn't sell in retail because Valve is boneheaded and doesnt go to retailers there are no accessories.

Except... there's also another all digital console that has been selling in retail. It's called the Oculus Quest 2. 20 million units sold in retail despite no physical presence.

Not to mention the entire home computer market as a whole doesn't do physical media yet computers are still selling. PS5 Digital exists and is being sold in stores despite no physical appearance.

You either do retail or you don't. This seems more like a choice on Valves end rather than a choice on the retailers end.

It's not a catch 22. It's about margin and peripherals.

Look up the quest on best buy and see how many peripherals they're selling.

Computers are still selling? And why do you think retail sells computers? Again first the margins on the computers themselves. Computers cost more at retail than wholesale. Second, they sell digital software in the store. Third, they sell warranties, printers, ink, paper e.t.c. all of this stuff is higher margin.

It seems like you have no idea how retail works...

• brain
Reactions: 64bitmodels

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Unless it launches with MP4 I’m skipping it. Tired of getting ripped off by Nintendo’s ancient tech standards.

I would love a non-handheld version. Don’t want a portable

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Landiri

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It will be more then that
450 for the base model
550 for the premium model
The inflation is so bad now in Japan and the western world and guess the reason behind this inflation ? The answer is the Russian sanction back in 2022 didn't worked out as the western world and Japan &south korea hoped to be
And now they're suffering the consequences
BTW sorry for going off topic 😅
We knew how the Russian sanctions will end up. Just people were ignorant.

If it end up $450 then people will feel stupid for raging over the pro price. The price didn't come as a surprise though. We knew thses specs are not cheap at all.

Reactions: gokuss4

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Sure Nintendo fanboy. Lol
I’m not a Nintendo fan I’m just stating facts & the reality that Nintendo will never diminish there platform or storefront like PS or Xbox.

At this point I wouldn’t put it past Astro Bot, Sackboy, Ratchet & Clank receiving Nintendo Switch 2 ports. Just saying don’t be shock

Reactions: J_Paganel

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

If it end up $450 then people will feel stupid for raging over the pro price. The price didn't come as a surprise though. We knew thses specs are not cheap at all.

No, they'll just ignore the fact that they raged.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark

I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual OLED version of it will be $500! 🤷‍♂️

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
October 20th is the 8 Year Anniversary of the Switch reveal and RDR2 trailer. I wonder if History will repeat and we get a Switch 2 reveal on the same day as a new GTA VI trailer? I remember logan getting a trailer on either the day before the Switch reveal trailer or the same day but can't remember.
Also Nintendo Directs celebrate it's 13th Anniversary on October 21st, 2024. I wonder if they will have something spooky to announce next month?
Skeleton Dance Halloween GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Just having Mario do this again will be creepy enough!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I expect this to be considerably more powerful than a steam deck.

Not to mention the lite version will probably limit resolution to 720p.

It should have some level of AI upscaling as well.
I think it's more realistic to expect PS4 (if lucky a bit more) level horsepower + latest DLSS on top to upscale to 1080p (portable mode or in 1080p tvs) or 4K (when plugged to 4Ktv).

Priced at $400 with no OLED display (more expensive OLED SKU could be released time later).

I hope DLSS is in, but knowing Nintendo, if it has an additional cost associated with it, it is definitely out.
I think their idea is to add DLSS to differentiate it from Switch 1 in different areas:
  • 4K support on tv mode, 1080p in handheld mode
  • Ease 3rd party porting with decent performance of higher end PS4 gen games
  • Ease 3rd party porting of PS5 gen with almost -a bit worse but somewhat decent- Steamdeck / Series S quality (maybe better in a few areas, worse in other ones) after DLSS but with a PS4 like hardware
I think Nintendo's idea would be to try to get an almost Steamdeck / Series S level in a more cost effective way in order to continue selling hardware at a profit even considering future inflation in the next 8 years or so.

I’m not a Nintendo fan I’m just stating facts & the reality that Nintendo will never diminish there platform or storefront like PS or Xbox.
Nintendo are simply late to the party in every single area. Pretty likely they will discover now 4K, trophies or even cloud gaming.

They took their time to expand to mobile and movies. They will expand to PC too, but who knows when.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
If they call it Super Nintendo Switch I'm in. Switch 2 seems too decaffeinated for Nintendo.

Sony has proven that the numerals work.

Nintendo has a troubled history with naming devices. Almost as much as Microsoft.

Sony got themselves in trouble with the Vita naming instead of keeping portable. Though I wish they had reused the name pocketstation.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony has proven that the numerals work.

Nintendo has a troubled history with naming devices. Almost as much as Microsoft.

Sony got themselves in trouble with the Vita naming instead of keeping portable. Though I wish they had reused the name pocketstation.

Xbox 360 was a confusing name and sold more than the OG. Although I agree that it can exacerbate the issue as the console will have a similar form factor than the first switch.

I still don't understand how people can get confused about this. A 5 min Google search can clarify everything.

And dads these days are millennials that grew up with gaming. Hell even young grampas did.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Xbox 360 was a confusing name and sold more than the OG. Although I agree that it can exacerbate the issue as the console will have a similar form factor than the first switch.

I still don't understand how people can get confused about this. A 5 min Google search can clarify everything.

And dads these days are millennials that grew up with gaming. Hell even young grampas did.

360 at least made it clear that it was after the OG.

It's not like Vita or Xbox One had crazy form factors. Even the Wii U really didn't.

Most people aren't on gaming forums every day. They aren't tuning into the industry. They certainly aren't googling anything. They see a commercial for something that doesn't look like a new product and they can easily think that its just something like the Switch OLED.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
October 20th is the 8 Year Anniversary of the Switch reveal and RDR2 trailer. I wonder if History will repeat and we get a Switch 2 reveal on the same day as a new GTA VI trailer? I remember logan getting a trailer on either the day before the Switch reveal trailer or the same day but can't remember.
Also Nintendo Directs celebrate it's 13th Anniversary on October 21st, 2024. I wonder if they will have something spooky to announce next month?
Skeleton Dance Halloween GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Just having Mario do this again will be creepy enough!

I mean I hope so... But who knows tbh... We'll see soon hopefully though! :cool: