Switch 2 rumor |OT| launch at $400. |UP| Successor to switch will be announced at end of fiscal year.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
90% of "next gen" games are on PS4, so this wouldn't surprise me. And the few that are actually cross gen will bend over backwards to get a Switch 2 port. Idk what weirdos buy 3rd party AAA games on Switch but there's a surprisingly large market, it'll be more worthwhile than Xbox and PC. People on this site really think publishers will make the same mistake twice 😂

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The entire thread on Glar is making fun of this non-source's non-news.

This guy has a bad track record and is saying nothing, no thread on it should have been made here.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
If Switch 2 is basically an Xbox Series S specification wise, they'll get every major AAA third party game because publishers lost out on making a fortune with Switch and won't make the same mistake twice. One game already is pretty much a guarantee in my opinion is Monster Hunter Wilds which is just begging to be a launch title for Switch 2 in March 2025.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If Switch 2 is basically an Xbox Series S specification wise, they'll get every major AAA third party game because publishers lost out on making a fortune with Switch and won't make the same mistake twice. One game already is pretty much a guarantee in my opinion is Monster Hunter Wilds which is just begging to be a launch title for Switch 2 in March 2025.
Its not, they might use new tricks to get more out of the tech than it has on paper but its not going to able to brute force Series S capability, not while maintaining battery life, portable form factor and a price below 400 dollars.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Its not, they might use new tricks to get more out of the tech than it has on paper but its not going to able to brute force Series S capability, not while maintaining battery life, portable form factor and a price below 400 dollars.

I see the hybrid being $400 with native 1440p/60fps/HDR upscaled to 2160p using whatever upscaling tech they're using docked. Handheld I see being native 1080p/60fps/HDR but probably without the upscaling. I am expecting the screen to be an OLED to make up the lower resolution but for their handheld, it would be really good.

We'll see what it ends up being but I would be surprised if it's not at least an Xbox Series S equivalent which if it is, it will get major AAA third party releases.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I see the hybrid being $400 with native 1440p/60fps/HDR upscaled to 2160p using whatever upscaling tech they're using docked. Handheld I see being native 1080p/60fps/HDR but probably without the upscaling. I am expecting the screen to be an OLED to make up the lower resolution but for their handheld, it would be really good.

We'll see what it ends up being but I would be surprised if it's not at least an Xbox Series S equivalent which if it is, it will get major AAA third party releases.

Xbox series S equivalent is not happening. At 7nm, it won't even match the PS4, but maybe it will come close if Nintendo feels extremely generous to Nvidia.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It will be less powerful than a PS4 with some dlss and a few tricks to bridge the gap and keep it energy efficient.

But I'm excited to see what Nintendo developers do with it...not third party.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Dock denialists were saying the same thing before Switch 1 came out and the dock turned out to be nothing more than the world's most elaborate plug. Its not a power brick, its not a hidden CPU, it has a flap to keep the screen from getting damaged and a fan to help it run cooler, nothing more, nothing less.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
I just want the new switch to play the switch games ive held off playing due to poor running on switch

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
PS better put that time cause the clock is ticking.

It’s getting closer & closer. And the lines will be blurred in the future.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
90% of "next gen" games are on PS4, so this wouldn't surprise me. And the few that are actually cross gen will bend over backwards to get a Switch 2 port. Idk what weirdos buy 3rd party AAA games on Switch but there's a surprisingly large market, it'll be more worthwhile than Xbox and PC. People on this site really think publishers will make the same mistake twice 😂
Consumers are a lot smarter then you think, 3rd parties wont sell that much on Switch 2 because its weaker then PS5 and Xbox. I was one of those people that though Switch would be the main sku for mega hits like Fortnight, but it's not because the handheld has the worst versions of multiplats. We know COD signed a 10 year deal so it will be on Switch 2 but that's where it stops. Within 2 years after launch there won't be any Madden or College football released on the thing.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
PS better put that time cause the clock is ticking.

It’s getting closer & closer. And the lines will be blurred in the future.
Ya’ll keep saying this. But nobody over the age of 14, especially people already in the PS ecosystem. Is going to want to play 3rd parties on Switch. Especially when Switch Online is still mid. Switch 2 will still be mostly a 1st party machine.

Reactions: Umar

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Consumers are a lot smarter than you think, 3rd parties wont sell that much on Switch 2 because it’s weaker than PS5 and Xbox. I was one of those people that thought Switch would be the main sku for mega hits like Fortnight, but it's not because the handheld has the worst versions of multiplats. We know COD signed a 10 year deal so it will be on Switch 2 but that's where it stops. Within 2 years after launch there won't be any Madden or College football released on the thing.
Yup MK11 was dog 💩 on Switch. Imagine what switch 2 ports will look like when more UE5 games drop. Lol Also not to mention that Nintendo’s online is still behind Xbox Live and PSN.

Reactions: AllBizness

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Dock denialists were saying the same thing before Switch 1 came out and the dock turned out to be nothing more than the world's most elaborate plug. Its not a power brick, its not a hidden CPU, it has a flap to keep the screen from getting damaged and a fan to help it run cooler, nothing more, nothing less.

All the hardware is supposed to be in the handheld but when docked due to being connected to a 4KTV should simply output at a higher resolution with HDR.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
nintendo-switch-2.jpg

According to Paul Gale, the Nintendo Switch 2 will have “big launch window releases” from third-party studios. These include “significant” AAA games.

Gale posted on Twitter.

This would be nothing new. The Wii U also had a huge launch window lineup. It had everything: CoD Black Ops 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Barman Arkham City, etc. There were even announcements for Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light.

Basically, a whole lot of games from publishers who still believed on the piggyback popularity ride out of the Wii.
And then Nintendo acted towards 3rd parties like Nintendo always acts towards 3rd parties.

We should start seeing decent UE5 games next year. This means they won't be just UE4 games upgraded to UE5 and terrible shader caching, they'll be proper UE5 games using Nanite and all the latest performance enhancements.
If the Switch 2 can't keep up with UE5's bells and whistles, it'll be sidelined by 3rd parties very quickly, again.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
If Switch 2 is basically an Xbox Series S specification wise,

It's very obviously not.

The Series S uses 75W on a TSMC 7nm chip and a RDNA2 GPU. The Switch 2 will use at most 15W (docked) on a less advanced Samsung 8nm chip and an Ampere GPU.
Even if the console's hardware somehow "punches above its weight", it's probably not even reaching half the Series S' performance.
It'll be lucky to reach the Steam Deck's GPU performance on 15W docked mode, and much lower than that in handheld mode. Though CPU performance on the Cortex A78 is much lower than the Zen2 in the Steam Deck and Series S.

The Switch 2 uses 2020 technology and Nintendo isn't going to splurge on exotic hardware at this point because that hasn't been profitable to them since the 90s.

People ought to temper their expectations.

• brain
Reactions: Zzero and The Icon

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
It's very obviously not.

The Series S uses 75W on a TSMC 7nm chip and a RDNA2 GPU. The Switch 2 will use at most 15W (docked) on a less advanced Samsung 8nm chip and an Ampere GPU.
Even if the console's hardware somehow "punches above its weight", it's probably not even reaching half the Series S' performance.
It'll be lucky to reach the Steam Deck's GPU performance on 15W docked mode, and much lower than that in handheld mode. Though CPU performance on the Cortex A78 is much lower than the Zen2 in the Steam Deck and Series S.

The Switch 2 uses 2020 technology and Nintendo isn't going to splurge on exotic hardware at this point because that hasn't been profitable to them since the 90s.

People ought to temper their expectations.

Yeah, it probably won't be a Series S level but im hoping. We'll see what happens.