Switch 2 rumor |OT| launch at $400. |UP| Successor to switch will be announced at end of fiscal year.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
Regardless of how powerful it'll be or won't be so am I looking forward to the NS 2 as I haven't owned any Nintendo related hardware in awhile... So I am very excited for its 2025 launch!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yeah, it probably won't be a Series S level but im hoping. We'll see what happens.
Your hope is in vain. I hope a billionaire randomly makes me his heir but it isn't going to happen and I shouldn't go around pretending like it is.

Reactions: peter42O

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
It's very obviously not.

The Series S uses 75W on a TSMC 7nm chip and a RDNA2 GPU. The Switch 2 will use at most 15W (docked) on a less advanced Samsung 8nm chip and an Ampere GPU.
Even if the console's hardware somehow "punches above its weight", it's probably not even reaching half the Series S' performance.
It'll be lucky to reach the Steam Deck's GPU performance on 15W docked mode, and much lower than that in handheld mode. Though CPU performance on the Cortex A78 is much lower than the Zen2 in the Steam Deck and Series S.

The Switch 2 uses 2020 technology and Nintendo isn't going to splurge on exotic hardware at this point because that hasn't been profitable to them since the 90s.

People ought to temper their expectations.
That's outdated. With the recent news of the Switch 2 using LPDDR5X ram it wouldn't make sense to be an 8nm chip.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
That's outdated. With the recent news of the Switch 2 using LPDDR5X ram it wouldn't make sense to be an 8nm chip.

Why wouldn’t it?
LPDDR5X will be mass produced for longer which is important for a console starting to be sold in 2025, and it's more power efficient. Odds are the switch 2 would be running those at the 0.9V and 0.5V modes.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

Hideki Yasuda (analyst of Toyo Securities) think :

Launch for 1st half of 2025 (April ?).
Performance inefrior to PS4 Pro.
Under 499$.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark

Hideki Yasuda (analyst of Toyo Securities) think :

Launch for 1st half of 2025 (April ?).
Performance inefrior to PS4 Pro.
Under 499$.
Hmm sounds interesting... But we'll see in early 2025 if it's true or not though 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Evilms