Switch 2 rumor |OT| launch at $400. |UP| Successor to switch will be announced at end of fiscal year.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
People expecting this to perform close to a Steam Deck are in for a surprise.
And not a good one.
Somehow there persists a segment of Nintendo’s fanboy population that have never internalized the often-reinforced philosophy Nintendo has of never being on the cutting edge of hardware. How they can be so in denial is a mystery.

Even the N64 and GC were based mostly on tech that was years old and then hobbled by Nintendo’s usual greedy bullshit, but some idiots think that the next system will be a beast anyway. It was hilarious when the WiiU supposedly topped the PS3 and 360 in horsepower, yet games ported from those systems had major performance issues on WiiU.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Somehow there persists a segment of Nintendo’s fanboy population that have never internalized the often-reinforced philosophy Nintendo has of never being on the cutting edge of hardware. How they can be so in denial is a mystery.

Even the N64 and GC were based mostly on tech that was years old and then hobbled by Nintendo’s usual greedy bullshit, but some idiots think that the next system will be a beast anyway. It was hilarious when the WiiU supposedly topped the PS3 and 360 in horsepower, yet games ported from those systems had major performance issues on WiiU.
Bro the Switch rumors were so insane and funny, worse than the PS5 Tom Sawyer rumors lol

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

The N64 had by far the most powerful rasterization hardware of the generation, but was set back by the cartridge medium's storage capacity in comparison to the CD. It had co-processors that could do anti-aliasing, texture filtering, mip-mapping, blending and a bunch of other features that only appeared years later in Direct3D 5/6 hardware (ATi Rage, Riva 128).
The GC had pretty decent hardware in comparison to the PS2, very cost effective but very similar in the end result.

It's from the DS and Wii onwards that Nintendo truly stopped giving a shit about capabilities and insisted on providing the bare minimum to developers, and that actually blew up on their face with the Wii U.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The N64 had by far the most powerful rasterization hardware of the generation, but was set back by the cartridge medium's storage capacity in comparison to the CD. It had co-processors that could do anti-aliasing, texture filtering, mip-mapping, blending and a bunch of other features that only appeared years later in Direct3D 5/6 hardware (ATi Rage, Riva 128).
The GC had pretty decent hardware in comparison to the PS2, very cost effective but very similar in the end result.

It's from the DS and Wii onwards that Nintendo truly stopped giving a shit about capabilities and insisted on providing the bare minimum to developers, and that actually blew up on their face with the Wii U.
I had a very illuminating conversation once with an engineer from Silicon Graphics about the N64.

That system was such a downgrade from what SGI actually designed for Nintendo that they actually tried to stop Nintendo from referring to SGI in any marketing or packaging materials.

The clock was cut in half, the RAM was cut in half and the loading cache removed, the magneto-optical drive was supposed to be the media format instead of cartridges and it was supposed to have native VGA/RGB output.

As for the GameCube, the CPU in it was a three years outdated PowerPC chip.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Nintendo Switch 2 Release Date May Have Just Accidentally Been Revealed by...Gameshark​

For the last several months, it has been heavily rumored that Nintendo is working on a new Switch model. And it appears we might not have to wait much longer as it is apparently releasing this September...according to Ai Shark (formerly known as GameShark)

Update: Both Digital Trends and Bloomberg's Jason Schreier have now reported receiving statements from Altec Lansing that seem conflictingly to double down on the Fall 2024 date and also claim the date is "guesswork." What's likely happening here is that Altec Lansing was, in fact, making an educated guess on the date of the Switch's release based on internal industry conversations as well as analyst models. Whatever the case, we'll have to wait for Nintendo's official word to find out the real date.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Nintendo are scared of the WIIU effect. Watch it be called just New Switch or steal PS thing and call it Switch 2.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nintendo are scared of the WIIU effect. Watch it be called just New Switch or steal PS thing and call it Switch 2.
Idk WTF is going on with them but as usual all eyes on them to see what they pulling even though we already know..

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Switch 2 is the best name either way. Sony needs to get off their ass and get as many portals out there and tweak the software quickly to make it into a PS+ cloud machine

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Switch 2 is the best name either way. Sony needs to get off their ass and get as many portals out there and tweak the software quickly to make it into a PS+ cloud machine
Im waiting for tht streaming capability.

Reactions: kuzon

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Last nintendo I had was nes... as a little kid.
Imagine all the games I;ve never played.
I am actually kinda waiting for switch 2 and hope its backwards compatible. I want to paly that zelda games and mario odyssey

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I am actually kinda waiting for switch 2 and hope its backwards compatible. I want to paly that zelda games and mario odyssey
You can learn ocean magic and plays it on PC...

Well I would't recommend it.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I had a very illuminating conversation once with an engineer from Silicon Graphics about the N64.

That system was such a downgrade from what SGI actually designed for Nintendo that they actually tried to stop Nintendo from referring to SGI in any marketing or packaging materials.

The clock was cut in half, the RAM was cut in half and the loading cache removed, the magneto-optical drive was supposed to be the media format instead of cartridges and it was supposed to have native VGA/RGB output.

The N64 was planned for a $250 release and then it had to be priced down to $200 because of the PS1 and Saturn. The SGI stations cost thousands of dollars at the time.
It was always going to use a very toned-down version of the SGI hardware. Optical drives were quite expensive at the time, and that's why the PS1 couldn't be sold for less than $200 despite the weaker processing hardware.
Of course, during a time where the best you can do on consoles were Mario 64 graphics, FMV cutscenes were all the rage which the PlayStation could do but the N64 couldn't.

As for the GameCube, the CPU in it was a three years outdated PowerPC chip.
The GameCube's Gekko was an optimized version of the PowerPC 750CXe that released that same year with lower core clocks, higher memory clocks, improved FPU and new instructions. Apple sold the G3 Powerbooks and iBooks with that same PowerPC 750CXe until mid-2001.
It also had a pretty advanced DirectX7 GPU, very fast memory with plenty of it to go around and decent I/O capabilities. It owed nothing to the PS2 at the time (the Xbox came out a year later).
Things only really went south with Nintendo hardware when they put the Wii with GC hardware clocked 50% higher.

Reactions: Vertigo
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The only and last two I played then never played my Switch again. Mario was OK and Zelda was boring and mediocre to me :/

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The N64 was planned for a $250 release and then it had to be priced down to $200 because of the PS1 and Saturn. The SGI stations cost thousands of dollars at the time.
It was always going to use a very toned-down version of the SGI hardware. Optical drives were quite expensive at the time, and that's why the PS1 couldn't be sold for less than $200 despite the weaker processing hardware.
Of course, during a time where the best you can do on consoles were Mario 64 graphics, FMV cutscenes were all the rage which the PlayStation could do but the N64 couldn't.

The GameCube's Gekko was an optimized version of the PowerPC 750CXe that released that same year with lower core clocks, higher memory clocks, improved FPU and new instructions. Apple sold the G3 Powerbooks and iBooks with that same PowerPC 750CXe until mid-2001.
It also had a pretty advanced DirectX7 GPU, very fast memory with plenty of it to go around and decent I/O capabilities. It owed nothing to the PS2 at the time (the Xbox came out a year later).
Things only really went south with Nintendo hardware when they put the Wii with GC hardware clocked 50% higher.
I miss the old days where every console ran on vastly different and exotic architectures.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
According to this rumor, SW2 has the same amount of RAM as the PS4, which isn't very impressive these days. However, I doubt that it can come close to matching the PS4's 176 GB/s of RAM bandwidth, especially considering Nintendo's reputation for being too cost-conscious. What is the maximum RAM bandwidth that the SW2 can achieve? Could it be 52 GB/s using LPDDR5?