Switch 2 rumor |OT| launch at $400. |UP| Successor to switch will be announced at end of fiscal year.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
According to this rumor, SW2 has the same amount of RAM as the PS4, which isn't very impressive these days. However, I doubt that it can come close to matching the PS4's 176 GB/s of RAM bandwidth, especially considering Nintendo's reputation for being too cost-conscious. What is the maximum RAM bandwidth that the SW2 can achieve? Could it be 52 GB/s using LPDDR5?

The PS4's GCN had lower effective bandwidth due to not having delta color compression. I'd say an Ampere GPU should get similar effective bandwidth to a PS4 if it has ~90-100GB/s raw memory bandwidth assuming the CPU cores aren't more demanding (which they should be).

Regardless, the T239 had better be equipped with at least 128bit LPDDR5 5500MT/s memory for 88GB/s total plus a boosted up amount of L2 cache. If Nintendo stopped at 64bit LPDDR5, then it's going to be very limited in what it can do above 480p.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
People expecting this to perform close to a Steam Deck are in for a surprise.
And not a good one.
There were actually people surmising that it might get close to PS5 level graphics with DLSS 😄.

Like people totally ignore recent history, and the fact that Nintendo will want to make a sizeable profit on every unit sold. They don't give a shit about providing their customers with anything close to the best technology.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
There were actually people surmising that it might get close to PS5 level graphics with DLSS 😄.

Like people totally ignore recent history, and the fact that Nintendo will want to make a sizeable profit on every unit sold. They don't give a shit about providing their customers with anything close to the best technology.

PS5 levels of power is impossible for a $399 - $499 handheld manufactured on a 7nm process, at best. We know Nintendo ain't paying the big bucks for 5 or 4 or 3 nm.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
This is same convo every gen with the Nintendo fans 😂
They spend 2 years hyping up the graphics before the reveal, and then they spend the next 4 years saying graphics aren't everything.

If you're a Nintendo fan, wouldn't you want them to go 3rd party more than The Haters? Nintendo is just not good at making hardware, they're even worse at making system software, and indie games are reaching the same league as Nintendo AAA productions. It's crazy that a game like Jusant made by a small team is 2 generations beyond Tears of the Kingdom, which is easily Nintendo's most ambitious game. If Nintendo released on Steam, you'd lose nothing because there's going to be major competition in handheld PCs, you'd get to use Steam rather than Nintendo's awful system, and Nintendo games could look and run way better with no additional development effort.

• fire
Reactions: Gamernyc78

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They spend 2 years hyping up the graphics before the reveal, and then they spend the next 4 years saying graphics aren't everything.

If you're a Nintendo fan, wouldn't you want them to go 3rd party more than The Haters? Nintendo is just not good at making hardware, they're even worse at making system software, and indie games are reaching the same league as Nintendo AAA productions. It's crazy that a game like Jusant made by a small team is 2 generations beyond Tears of the Kingdom, which is easily Nintendo's most ambitious game. If Nintendo released on Steam, you'd lose nothing because there's going to be major competition in handheld PCs, you'd get to use Steam rather than Nintendo's awful system, and Nintendo games could look and run way better with no additional development effort.
Don’t look for sanity or logical thinking from Nintendo fanboys. They’re all either 5 years old or mentally frozen at that age.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It’s gonna get slapped by steam deck and struggle to meet ps4 pro spec and the fanboys will claim it’s the start of a new generation. The delusions of the diehard Nintendo fan have no end. This is why they’ll spend $99 on cardboard.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It’s gonna get slapped by steam deck and struggle to meet ps4 pro spec and the fanboys will claim it’s the start of a new generation. The delusions of the diehard Nintendo fan have no end. This is why they’ll spend $99 on cardboard.
It'll play cute Mario with 1,000,000,0000 diff colors and be 4K! Truly next gen gaming 😂

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
It'll play cute Mario with 1,000,000,0000 diff colors and be 4K! Truly next gen gaming 😂

Eventually phone gaming will mature to give us console quality on the go featuring a marketplace of casual touchscreen gaming and hardcore experiences playable however.

This will be a threat to Nintendo in the near future. They did get pushed out of console space last gen. I doubt they’re resting on their laurels considering that either. Fans shrug it off but that’s fanboyism. If parents only need to buy a phone only… they will.

Consolidating all the devs to develop for the same handheld spec benefit them greatly. Having both console and mobile separate in the past caused of a ton of growing pains for them moving into hd era.

I’m hoping that instead of a hybrid it’s either a handheld version and a 4k tv friendly home box. Switch is still expensive at $299 and where the mobile function is lost on me and I’d prefer if the games didn’t look like they’re smeared in Vaseline. How powerful do you expect it to be when switch is still 300 bucks while running games at console standard … 10 years ago.

I still love Metroid and Zelda and will always drop for them or the odd Punchout, fzero and hopefully a wave race reboot in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Eventually phone gaming will mature to give us console quality on the go featuring a marketplace of casual touchscreen gaming and hardcore experiences playable however.

This will be a threat to Nintendo in the near future. They did get pushed out of console space last gen. I doubt they’re resting on their laurels considering that either. Fans shrug it off but that’s fanboyism. If parents only need to buy a phone only… they will.

Consolidating all the devs to develop for the same handheld spec benefit them greatly. Having both console and mobile separate in the past caused of a ton of growing pains for them moving into hd era.

I’m hoping that instead of a hybrid it’s either a handheld version and a 4k tv friendly home box. Switch is still expensive at $299 and where the mobile function is lost on me and I’d prefer if the games didn’t look like they’re smeared in Vaseline. How powerful do you expect it to be when switch is still 300 bucks while running games at console standard … 10 years ago.

I still love Metroid and Zelda and will always drop for them or the odd Punchout, fzero and hopefully a wave race reboot in the future.
Phones are exponentially growing in power at a fast rate so tht will be soon.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Switch 2 Star Fox rumor​

I used to want them to do a straight up StarFox again for quite some time, at least back in the day. I let that go awhile ago. I still think the best one was the SNES release, followed by StarFox 64 (which wasn't quite as good IMO for a couple reasons). The games that have come out since have all been gimmicky and pretty mediocre to bad.

They shouldn't bother with this unless it's going to be another straight up on rails shooter with a ton of replay-ability like the first two.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I used to want them to do a straight up StarFox again for quite some time, at least back in the day. I let that go awhile ago. I still think the best one was the SNES release, followed by StarFox 64 (which wasn't quite as good IMO for a couple reasons). The games that have come out since have all been gimmicky and pretty mediocre to bad.

They shouldn't bother with this unless it's going to be another straight up on rails shooter with a ton of replay-ability like the first two.
Any StarFox done without the original creators at Argonaut is going to be shit.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Any StarFox done without the original creators at Argonaut is going to be shit.
I think 64 was "good" but the SNES one was the best. I don't really agree it has to be "shit" but I wouldn't be hopeful personally. :) They've used the series as a dumping ground for clunky ideas for decades.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I think 64 was "good" but the SNES one was the best. I don't really agree it has to be "shit" but I wouldn't be hopeful personally. :) They've used the series as a dumping ground for clunky ideas for decades.
All because Miyamoto thinks he knows better than everyone else and felt slighted by the praise Argonaut got for the first game. There was an interesting interview with Jez San in an old issue of Edge/Next Generation where he talked about it all.

Basically, Miyamoto is a petty, jealous, insecure prick. Having him as the arbiter of software has undoubtedly held Nintendo back for decades now.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
All because Miyamoto thinks he knows better than everyone else and felt slighted by the praise Argonaut got for the first game. There was an interesting interview with Jez San in an old issue of Edge/Next Generation where he talked about it all.

Basically, Miyamoto is a petty, jealous, insecure prick. Having him as the arbiter of software has undoubtedly held Nintendo back for decades now.
I've read all that stuff. I don't really agree with your take, but I stand by your right to voice that opinion lol. :p

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
First game had the cockpit stages too.. 64 is great and got a ton of mileage from mp but og is the best for sure.

Could use a reboot without the furries to be honest but rather someone outside of Nintendo do a spiritual sequel.

I miss classic star fox a ton and it has never come back the same way as we knew it at its best. Assault is the last one I ever played tho.

Was there anyway out of the secret zone in the first game? I figured it was just a fun secret and you were just there. I can’t remember if fox’s father was in there too…

Blew my mind as a kid when we first discovered it