Tencent is looking to buy Ubisoft

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
That's funny I thought tencent would divest if anything, but I guess the stock price has gone so low that it makes sense to double down.

If Tencent buys Ubisoft, the writing is on the wall for them. They'll be dead within 5 years.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Tencent will soon have enough sudios to have an own console. Would be funny if they enter the space and make everything they own exclusive to their console.

Aren't you one of the people who throw laughing emojis when I say big tech is likely to buy 3rd party publishers and could eventually foreclose access?

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I thought Ubi was trying to go private. So many people would lose their jobs if acquired by Tencent.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Aren't you one of the people who throw laughing emojis when I say big tech is likely to buy 3rd party publishers and could eventually foreclose access?

For sure I do, I mean, it's pretty funny when your idiotic solution to that is to whore out your main selling point - exclusive games - to other platforms, instead of doubling down on that in order to be prepared for that eventuality.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Tencent is better than MS but it's still dangerous.

What a fall from grace for Ubisoft. The scandal from a few years ago killed them, the same way it killed Activision.

It's like it's the same MO for both but the buyer is blocked on this case 😒

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I thought Ubi was trying to go private. So many people would lose their jobs if acquired by Tencent.

Tencent buying them would be them going private. They would no longer be a publicly traded company.

Nothing is going to stop job loss at Ubisoft at this point. It's just a question of how bad.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Would that cause an issue with regulators because Tencent would also be buying the cloud rights for every ABK game released and those that will release for the next 15 years?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
For sure I do, I mean, it's pretty funny when your idiotic solution to that is to whore out your main selling point - exclusive games - to other platforms, instead of doubling down on that in order to be prepared for that eventuality.

The reality is Sony needs to generate as much revenue and operating income as they can in the short term in order to do bigger and better things and to stay competitive in the future.

You're shortsighted, but hopefully, Tencent buying Ubisoft will wake you up to this reality.

Apple will be next if they win their case against the DOJ.

Amazon and Netflix will respond to Apple...

EA
T2

And yes even Japanese companies will be on the menu as well.

You want to double down on exclusive games, but these games have a ceiling in terms of sales. They absolutely do. It's one of the reasons why SIE isn't worth more than EA or even T2 despite being market leader for nearly 30 years.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
As much as I hate government intervention, I would hope for the French government to step in and prevent a 20 000 employees company from getting sold to a company that is ruled by the Chinese Communist Party.

Chinese companies buying European ones to steal all their IP and know-how and then fire everyone has been happening all over Europe way too often, in other industries.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
The reality is Sony needs to generate as much revenue and operating income as they can in the short term in order to do bigger and better things and to stay competitive in the future.

You're shortsighted, but hopefully, Tencent buying Ubisoft will wake you up to this reality.

Apple will be next if they win their case against the DOJ.

Amazon and Netflix will respond to Apple...

EA
T2

And yes even Japanese companies will be on the menu as well.

You want to double down on exclusive games, but these games have a ceiling in terms of sales. They absolutely do. It's one of the reasons why SIE isn't worth more than EA or even T2 despite being market leader for nearly 30 years.

Great, let's see who is shortsighted once PlayStation has no selling point for their consoles against other big players who aren't stupid enough to whore out their content.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They made no money from the PC ports. It is literally pennies in the grand scheme of things. Like 30 millions if you add them all together (not Destiny and Helldivers).

And you don't know how much they lost on the other side with people getting sick of PlayStation and not buying their consoles anymore because of all the drama. You're the one being shortsighted.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
As expected right on cue. Could have seen this a miles away from the moment Ubi Soft opened their arms to Tencent allowing them to buy up stakes in the company. Yves is no different from Bobby Kotick.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They made no money from the PC ports. It is literally pennies in the grand scheme of things. Like 30 millions if you add them all together (not Destiny and Helldivers).

And you don't know how much they lost on the other side with people getting sick of PlayStation and not buying their consoles anymore because of all the drama. You're the one being shortsighted.

You can tell from their financial reporting that it is more than that, but it's very convenient for you to leave off Helldivers.

And again, PS5 is on pace to sell as well as PS4.

You have a theory based purely on your own biases and fanboyism, which isn't born out in reality. And it's ironic since that mentality would actually result in the end of PlayStation.

Ask gamers who don't come to message boards how much they care about games getting ported years later... they don't...

• haha
Reactions: Zzero and arvfab

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
All the gaming giants are buying publishers except for Sony lmao. Soon all the gaming publisher will horde ip & studio talent for there own platform exclusive like Apple, Mata, Netflix, Tencent, MS, Saudis etc

In the mean time Sony/PS is releasing remaster & remakes that will perform poor & review mediocre due to PC/Steam players telling Sony/PS to fuck off.

Sony should’ve acquired Square Enix back in 2020 when MS acquired Zenimax & Capcom when MS acquired ABK it’s clear the consolidation won’t stop as everyone secures there future as they horde ip.

Square Enix
Capcom
Kadokawa

Hoyoverse/Withurin Wave/Arkangels (any Korean/Japanese/Chinese mobile developer to make open world anime gacha games)

Arc system work
Level 5

The studio behind Metal Slug Tactics/TMNT shredders. Or even buying Tom Clancy of Ubisoft & getting the studio behind Rainbow 6 Siege, Wildlands/Breakpoint & the division to make military shooters ie use talent & revive SOCOM & inject Tom Clancy characters to make 1 ultimate military shooter