The best thing that could happen in the industry is Call of Duty losing mindshare

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The fact that so much of the gaming discussion for the past two years has centered around such a stagnant and bland franchise that used to be the butt of jokes when Cold War came out is fascinating to see. Everyone joked that “this is the reviewer that gave CoD a 9/10” and now everyone is damn near kneeling to it as the king of fucking video games. Sony went out of their way to give it free marketing for the past two years claiming that the sony ecosystem would crumble without it.

Microsoft spending 70 billion dollars on it, more than Disney spent on FOX. Regulators tripping over themselves to try and explain how much of a big deal it is, and failing miserably.

And worst of all, all of this pretty much erased all the wrong-doings and scumbaggery that Activision and Kotick has been accused before hand. It was so bad for Activision that their stock prices were plummeting, they were being sued left and right, people forced Geoff Keighly to make a statement about them and not present of their games at the awards. Nintendo, Sony, and reluctantly Microsoft came out to make PR statements about how they need to change, only for Microsoft to go behind the scenes to bail them out. They completely saved the company from a death spiral that they 100% deserved.

Now everyone is back to celebrating Call of fucking Duty like its the pinnacle of gaming. It bizarre that people in gaming communities that normally couldn’t give a fuck about this franchise, and would groan when it would appear during showcases are now acting like they can’t wait to play an entire library of absolute mid shooters for the past decade.

This is the perfect time for Sony, EA, Epic, Ubisoft, etc to all get together and make something happen. Stop putting out trash shooters, no more battlefield 2042’s and Predator Hunting Grounds.

Time to innovate and give us a new king maker for multiplayer.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Not just Call of Duty but GTA, Minecraft, FIFA, Pokemon etc

Theres simply no competition for these games and you see the results.

GTA5 has been here since the PS3/X360 days yet people continue buy it.

Pokemon is average at best yet the sheep still buy it.

EA may have lost the FIFA license but they continue to regurgitate the same game again and again. Nothing a simple update couldn’t do.

These franchises need competition.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yup, it depends on everybody possible not buying and spreading to their friends not to buy..... giving them good alternatives to spend their time on etc.

I certainly wont be buying another one, ever.

They can't force consumers to do things they don't want to do, to support products they don't want.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It will be intersting to see what happens when sony stops marketing it and puts that money behind something else. It won’t make a huge dent but give 10 years of huge marketing dollars to any other product and it will slowly start to chip away

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The best thing that could happen to the industry is for Satya Nadella to be replaced by someone who doesn't believe in what Xbox is doing.

We were just so unlucky that Xbox hanged around for so long, while PC player are extremely lucky because it got MS attention away from Windows allowing Valve to pretty much hijack PC gaming.

As for CoD, I don't understand it's popularity at all. Are kids actually playing this? If not who is playing it? These games are absolutely played out.

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The best thing that could happen to the industry is for Satya Nadella to be replaced by someone who doesn't believe in what Xbox is doing.

We were just so unlucky that Xbox hanged around for so long, while PC player are extremely lucky because it got MS attention away from Windows allowing Valve to pretty much hijack PC gaming.

As for CoD, I don't understand it's popularity at all. Are kids actually playing this? If not who is playing it?
Probably manchildren like Wings of Remdeption, personal I don't know anyone who plays COD because I am from Asia. But COD always has a fanbase of neckbeards "hardcore gamer" behind them.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
First thing first. Folks are pissed about ABK merger results and are venting out on these threads. Next thing you know you'll have a new one stating : Akchually... Skyrim and BGS output wasn't that great!!

But yeah, the heart of the matter is that most folks like to play these kinds of games. The "silent majority" of gaming so to speak.
The most generic and souless multiplats are the games that drive console sales. Not the """prestige""" games as much as forum folk would like to think. Stuff like COD, FIFA, GTA, NBA2K, Madden, Minecraft, Pokemon, Battlefield... those are the backbone of console gaming.

It is what it is. ABK output does not resonate with me at all other than Diablo/Starcraft/Crash. Lets just hope some of that COD money goes back into developing some great single player games. Rebooting old franchises.... I don't really like Fortnite but thanks to that game I got a lot of freebies on the Epic games store, so whales, keep spending as I want more games.

If I had my way we would have more tank controlled survival horror games with pre rendered backgrounds, inmersive sims, car combat games, arcade racers and SF Alpha 4 instead of Fortnite Fighter 6 but I guess those games don't sell.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
First thing first. Folks are pissed about ABK merger results and are venting out on these threads. Next thing you know you'll have a new one stating : Akchually... Skyrim and BGS output wasn't that great!!

But yeah, the heart of the matter is that most folks like to play these kinds of games. The "silent majority" of gaming so to speak.
The most generic and souless multiplats are the games that drive console sales. Not the """prestige""" games as much as forum folk would like to think. Stuff like COD, FIFA, GTA, NBA2K, Madden, Minecraft, Pokemon, Battlefield... those are the backbone of console gaming.

It is what it is. ABK output does not resonate with me at all other than Diablo/Starcraft/Crash. Lets just hope some of that COD money goes back into developing some great single player games. Rebooting old franchises.... I don't really like Fortnite but thanks to that game I got a lot of freebies on the Epic games store, so whales, keep spending as I want more games.

If I had my way we would have more tank controlled survival horror games with pre rendered backgrounds, inmersive sims, car combat games, arcade racers and SF Alpha 4 instead of Fortnite Fighter 6 but I guess those games don't sell.
Come one now, Bethesda games were always shit. They are the Ubisoft of RPGs, uninspired design, big and wide with no depth and use mods as a crutch.

Anyone that likes Skyrim has absolutely no taste.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
In the next 10 years, MW would have its remakes. Blac ops would have it remakes. I doubt Cod will be as popular in 10 years.

Perrott

21 Jun 2022
Not just Call of Duty but GTA, Minecraft, FIFA, Pokemon etc

Theres simply no competition for these games and you see the results.

GTA5 has been here since the PS3/X360 days yet people continue buy it.
GTA V is a timeless masterpiece, regardless of its story flaws. That's why it continues to sell, because the game itself is just as good and impressive today as it was ten years ago.

Watch Dogs, Cyberpunk, Saints Row, Mafia... all modern day sandbox titles that came after V have failed to live up to the new standard set by a PS3/360 game. That's not Rockstar's fault and they shouldn't lose shit unless someone else out there decides to put out a better product than them, which, let's be fair, is never gonna happen.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
GTA V is a timeless masterpiece, regardless of its story flaws. That's why it continues to sell, because the game itself is just as good and impressive today as it was ten years ago.

Watch Dogs, Cyberpunk, Saints Row, Mafia... all modern day sandbox titles that came after V have failed to live up to the new standard set by a PS3/360 game. That's not Rockstar's fault and they shouldn't lose shit unless someone else out there decides to put out a better product than them, which, let's be fair, is never gonna happen.
GTAV is peak open world, it has all the quality and share most of the shortcomings of RDR2 it just happens to have a worse story.

Tell me that you have no fucking clue about videogames without telling me that you have no fucking clue about videogames 👆
If you like Bethesda RPGs you are just basic, now tell me I don't know anything about RPGs before finding out I have been playing CRPGs for decades.

Bethesda games are a great litmus test to find out if someone only cares about maximizing how efficiently they are waste their time or if they care about quality/gameplay/story.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

GTA V is just the first GTA built from the ground up with online in mind. If we talk about the campaign I think its below GTA SA and IV at least. And games like Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row IV and Watch Dogs are more fun to play or more unique at least. GTA is the Big Mac of open world gaming.
GTA is sucessful because by the time they release one, a new generation of kids wanting to play thug is born, and for them is their first open world game. So stuff like getting into a car, causing traffic jams, beating up prostitutes and killing bystanders feels fresh.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
GTA V is just the first GTA built from the ground up with online in mind. If we talk about the campaign I think its below GTA SA and IV at least. And games like Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row IV and Watch Dogs are more fun to play or more unique at least. GTA is the Big Mac of open world gaming.
GTA is sucessful because by the time they release one, a new generation of kids wanting to play thug is born, and for them is their first open world game.
Sleeping Dogs has nothing on GTAV, I guess it has Batman/Spider-man like combat if that's your thing.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The core fans will always have a lot of influence over the casuals....

So if everyone possible starts spreading that they have moved away from COD and to Apex or Destiny etc. there could be a strong change. I'm not saying it will collapse COD but it could make a dent.

Until Sony decide to pull the plug, then COD will crawl on to survive as long as they have an acceptable game every 3 years. Over the longer term, Sony and their partners could definitely make something to overshadow it though.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sleeping Dogs has nothing on GTAV, I guess it has Batman/Spider-man like combat if that's your thing.
Sleeping dogs has way better combat than GTAV and at least an innovative setting in east asia. The story was better than GTAV, which was the weakest of all main GTA.
With all the money Rockstar puts in their games I expect them to push the envelope much further. Their mission design is straight from 2004 and controls pretty much around that era as well.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sleeping dogs has way better combat than GTAV and at least an innovative setting in east asia. The story was better than GTAV, which was the weakest of all main GTA.
With all the money Rockstar puts in their games I expect them to push the envelope much further. Their mission design is straight from 2004 and controls pretty much around that era as well.
Their mission design is also bad in RDR2 doesn't stop it from being great anyway.

It's not like the standard for mission design in open world games is high. I think you give Sleeping Dogs way too much credit when it share most of the flaws GTAV has and is likely an even worse offender in most of those aspects.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Their mission design is also bad in RDR2 doesn't stop it from being great anyway.

It's not like the standard for mission design in open world games is high. I think you give Sleeping Dogs way to many credit when it share most of the flaws GTAV has and might be an even worse offender.

I give these smaller open world games the benefit of the doubt because they try to differentiate themselves from GTA

Saints Row (Powers, Superhero Stuff in 4)
Watch Dogs (Hacking)
Saints Row (Martial Arts)

And most of all, because they dont have the gargantuan budget GTAV had. I wish critics had the balls to be hard with R* just like they do with all other games in the genre. Reminds me of how folks blow From Software all the time and fail to see their shortcomings. And I say this as a huge Souls fan.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I give these smaller open world games the benefit of the doubt because they try to differentiate themselves from GTA

Saints Row (Powers, Superhero Stuff in 4)
Watch Dogs (Hacking)
Saints Row (Martial Arts)

And most of all, because they dont have the gargantuan budget GTAV had. I wish critics had the balls to be hard with R* just like they do with all other games in the genre. Reminds me of how folks blow From Software all the time and fail to see their shortcomings. And I say this as a huge Souls fan.
The quality RDR and GTA have is production value, attention to detail, for an open world game that has a huge impact on my enjoyment. R* is usually far ahead of competition when it comes to narrative as well.

R* is to open world games what ND is to cinematic action games, they are on a league of their own and it shows.

You blowing Sleeping Dogs and criticizing people that like From Software games. No game needs to be perfect and none of those are they just really excel on the things that they set out to do.

Sleeping Dogs is nowhere close to the quality of GTAV/RDR2, it was never meant to be, it's an ok game for it's time.

R* budget shouldn't be held against them because they cost the same as other games for consumers and all the many spent shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Umar