The Evil West: Resolutions and Recommended Specs.

D

Deleted member 13

"In an interview with German outlet Xbox Dynasty, Tomek Gop, the Lead Producer at Flying Wild Hog, disputes the claim that the Xbox Series S is "an albatross around the neck of production." When questioned about potential limitations introduced by the Xbox Series S, Gop was unequivocal, "No, why would it?" He went further, citing that there is no requirement to "make the Series X version look exactly like the Series S, so we're not limited as developers.""

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wait, wouldn't it be like a 4700S, but severely downclocked/crippled? It can't reach anywhere those frequencies. Wouldn't this be why games are limited to 30fps now?

How can it be a downclocked 4700s when the base clock for that CPU is 3.2GHz? At most it would be a slightly downclocked 4700G, or an overclocked S or GE

4700S - 3.2GHz
4700GE - 3.1GHz
4700G - 3.6GHz

Let's not conflate base clocks with Turbo Core please. And not, I'll press X for doubt in the CPU being the limiting factor for these games achieving 60fps. If that was the case, last gen consoles would have never been able to run games at 60fps with their toaster CPUs.

You can't compare a minimum spec to the console if you don't know what graphics resolution or graphics settings it will have (or how expensive each of the settings are). We need data on the graphics settings and count the ms in them to determine why the consoles have to go to 1080p/60FPS.

We know exactly the resolution and framerate, we just don't know the "settings". And hardware specs are absolutely a measure to predict how a game can run. Did you even bother to take a look at the hardware charts I posted? Are we now suddenly going to ignore that these consoles can run heavy games at 4k 30fps or 1440p 60fps? Or are they suddenly at the same level as a entry level laptop from 2018? Oh, I know, there will be some random measure of bullshit that will somehow show this game "objectively" looks better than Miles Morales, GoW, amongst others, that have absolutely no issues running on a PS5 at 1440p upscaled, some at over 60fps with ray-tracing (I'll keep hammering the RT).

Here's a tweet comment from them.

XboxOne/OneS: 1080p @ 30fps
XboxOneX: 2160p @ 30fps
PS4: 1080p @ 30fps
PS4 Pro: 1080p @ 30fps (with improved graphical quality compared to PS4)
XSS: 1080p @ 30fps
XSX: 2160p @ 30fps (quality) / 1080p @ 60fps (performance)
PS5: 2160p @ 30fps (quality) / 1080p @ 60fps (performance)

Somehow the PS4, that manages to be within 70% of the resolution for the Xbox One X, only runs at the same framerate with 4x lower resolution? The Series S, regardless of graphical settings, can't do 1080p60 when it's about on par with the recommended PC specs?

Yeah, they didn't give a fuck about console versions, and I don't really blame them, you have 7 SKUs to optimize for for a game that will probably not sell that much.

"In an interview with German outlet Xbox Dynasty, Tomek Gop, the Lead Producer at Flying Wild Hog, disputes the claim that the Xbox Series S is "an albatross around the neck of production." When questioned about potential limitations introduced by the Xbox Series S, Gop was unequivocal, "No, why would it?" He went further, citing that there is no requirement to "make the Series X version look exactly like the Series S, so we're not limited as developers.""

When your hardware baseline is an FX-6300 and a GTX 750 (pretty much PS4 level baseline) the Series S is not a problem 🤡

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
When your hardware baseline is an FX-6300 and a GTX 750 (pretty much PS4 level baseline) the Series S is not a problem 🤡

chris colfer GIF

D

Deleted member 51

How can it be a downclocked 4700s when the base clock for that CPU is 3.2GHz? At most it would be a slightly downclocked 4700G, or an overclocked S or GE

4700S - 3.2GHz
4700GE - 3.1GHz
4700G - 3.6GHz

Let's not conflate base clocks with Turbo Core please. And not, I'll press X for doubt in the CPU being the limiting factor for these games achieving 60fps. If that was the case, last gen consoles would have never been able to run games at 60fps with their toaster CPUs.
Honestly speaking, even comparing the ps5 to a 3700x is all the way wrong. It's more like a 2700x if even.

P

peter42O

Let me know your impressions bro. I'd like to buy it but not sure I want to spend the $60 just yet.

I will but it's going to be a while before I play it. Once I complete GOWR, it's Callisto Protocol time and then Evil Dead. By the way, you'll appreciate this - I bought Elden Ring for PS4 (will be playing on PS5 via BC to get a locked 60fps) yesterday but not sure when I will play it. I'm not expecting to complete it whatsoever and have no idea how many hours I will put into the game since im not a souls guy whatsoever (most I ever played was 10 hours give or take in Bloodborne) but I want to see what all the hoopla is about.

Reactions: Deleted member 13
P

peter42O

Was going to pick it up with Callisto but will now pick it up after work on Wednesday after watching Mr. Matty Plays review. Still need to watch Skill Up's review even though I know he liked the game. Definitely sounds good based on Matty's review. Looking forward to playing this after Callisto or GOWR. Not sure which.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
blurry mess. no wonder xss didn't hold anything back, when game on sxs and PS5 looks atrociously 😂

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If I can kind of understand a game that looks as good as Plague Tale Requiem running at 1440p30 on current gen consoles, because it's actually doing something graphically, even if it is poorly optimized (it got better, much better, with the latest patch). this game is just... An absolute graphical mess.

• Texture quality and resolution are poor
  • Parallax Occlusion Mapping is pretty much absent in a shitload of textures (it's on some), making the environments look flat as hell
  • Ambient occlusion is pretty poor in some sections
  • The quality modes for consoles and 4k mode on PC are BLURRY
  • Anisotropic filtering, even on PC, is poor
  • Shadow quality is just... Laughable. Limited to no traces of contact shadows even on PC ultra. The only thing is character self shadowing that looks somewhat ok
I could only think of comparing it with Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition, not really sure why. This is a Seventh Gen game that was remastered for 8th gen. In may cases, from a technical standpoint, it matches or supersedes Evil West. I don't think it looks as good as Evil West in some instances, but a reminder that it runs on a Series X at 4k60 with no problems.

I won't even compare this with GoW Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West, that run on a PS5 at 4k30. They destroy this game from a graphical and technical standpoint. Anybody that argues current gen consoles couldn't do better should get their eyes checked.

@thicc_girls_are_teh_best would love your 2 cents here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mansoor1980

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I know the lad has been banned, but to answer this, if we match the PS5 APU with known AMD APUs, it would be more or less a match to the Renoir 4700GE. The CPU on the 4700GE is faster than the Ryzen 1600x across the board.

If we're comparing it to the 4700 non-GE version, it's an even bigger difference.

So yet again, talking out of his ass, as a lot of people do in forums when they want to shit on these consoles. Also, the CPU found in XSX and PS5 APUs is similar enough (300Mhz at most is absolutely nothing in today's computing).

As for the CPU, they have both been shown to compete with anything in between the 2060 super and the 2080 (excluding Ray-Tracing). If our baseline is the 2060 super, the performance gap to the 6GB 1060 is massive.

So when I say this game is yet another poorly optimized title, the specs alone reveal this. Both the CPU and GPU on the PS5 and Series X are more than capable of out competing the recommended specs for this game, even if we don't factor in OS overhead which is higher on Personal Computers.
He was always talking out of his ass, but the biggest thing is that a lot of PCMR feel the need to 'impress their superiority'.

The good thing this gen is that top tier developers like Sony will give you really good-looking games running at 60fps.

PC gaming is always there if you wants 120fps+, but it says a lot when people like me are looking at $1,000 as a 'reasonable' price for a top-level card nowadays - to dismiss cost as "irrelevant" is just asinine.

Reactions: Satoru