The Last of Us: Part II Remaster likely in Development based on ND Lead Outsourced Artist LinkedIn Profile

24 Jun 2022
You’re letting Layden off the hook. Even if he didn’t port AAA games, eventually he would have. Those smaller games were probably a test run. When asked on Twitter if porting to PC was his idea, he proudly responded “Yup”. Also you’re kidding yourself if you think Sony is going to scale back on porting games to PC now that Jim Ryan is gone. 😂

How do you know he eventually would have? Even if he did, that doesn't mean it would've been the right decision, just like how it's been questionable under Jim Ryan.

If you ask me, scaling back on total number of GaaS titles but making them Day 1 between PS & PC, scaling back on the ports of modern 1P AAA and AA traditional games, but increasing the volume of remaster compilations of catalog/legacy titles to PC, would actually be a net benefit for Sony's software presence on PC and re-focus the meat and potatoes to the console where it belongs.

We'll see early next year what's what.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I guess you could have a patch making it native PS5 and everything will be fine.

But in the view of the TV Show like happened with TLOU I guess they will take the remaster route for the double dips.

Not surprise because a lot of sales from TLOU come from double dippers.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I guess you could have a patch making it native PS5 and everything will be fine.

But in the view of the TV Show like happened with TLOU I guess they will take the remaster route for the double dips.

Not surprise because a lot of sales from TLOU come from double dippers.

TLOU3 may not happen until a second season of the show is out if even that soon. I’m not shocked about this remaster even tho it seems even less necessary than the last but also makes sense with the prospect of a pc release up to current gen standards.

People forget that Sony’s plan with established and future IP is to do cross media in both gaming and film. All of them and to be successful at it.

We’re gonna be waiting longer for sequels than we ever have. It won’t be an exclusive problem to ND that’s for sure.

I don’t think this will be a patch… seventy bucks. I won’t buy it but plenty will.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You’re letting Layden off the hook. Even if he didn’t port AAA games, eventually he would have. Those smaller games were probably a test run. When asked on Twitter if porting to PC was his idea, he proudly responded “Yup”. Also you’re kidding yourself if you think Sony is going to scale back on porting games to PC now that Jim Ryan is gone. 😂
They'll eventually have to scale back since they won't have nothing to Port In 2 years.

Shawn wanted GaaS on PC day one. I don't recall him ever saying he wanted this prestige titles there but could be mistaken.

I wish they had also followed up on his AA push to get games out quicker and keep certain studios in the green by doing so.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
TLOU3 may not happen until a second season of the show is out if even that soon. I’m not shocked about this remaster even tho it seems even less necessary than the last but also makes sense with the prospect of a pc release up to current gen standards.

People forget that Sony’s plan with established and future IP is to do cross media in both gaming and film. All of them and to be successful at it.

We’re gonna be waiting longer for sequels than we ever have. It won’t be an exclusive problem to ND that’s for sure.

I don’t think this will be a patch… seventy bucks. I won’t buy it but plenty will.
I think they lack a bit of ideias imo.
Release a new remaster to get these dips from the TV show watchers indeed works but I think they could have done better.

For example... instead to do a remaster just push a patch that will give PS5 improvements to the game making it native.
Launch a new edition like "The Last of Us 2 TV Show Edition" with the cover being the actors of the show.
As bonus add some exclusive video or wallpaper from behind the scenes of the show... these stuffs.

It is like a "Game of Year Edition" but focused on The Show.
And the bonus are always good.

I think it is easy than make a new remaster.

But the strategy worked: TLOU, TLOU Remaster 1, TLOU Remaster 2, etc.
So I guess they will again do it.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They'll eventually have to scale back since they won't have nothing to Port In 2 years.

If Sony keeps pretending Playstation started with Uncharted 4 and Horizon then that's absolutely going to be the case.

But it seems that Nixxes will also take care of bringing legacy titles to PS5 and PC. And there are lots of games to port starting with the PS3 HD collections. Ps now flopped so they can use those legacy ports to fill the calendar in between the big AAA releases. Nintendo does it all the time.

• thisistheway
Reactions: toadsage44

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
The next CEO will surely need to clean the mess Kek Ryan left behind. The sales and numbers can only be as good as they are until the game drought becomes unbearable.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, this basically confirms it. I assume it makes business sense and a lot of people will buy it with the season 2 of the tv show.

But well, in my case I personally won't buy it, as I didn't buy TLOUP1 or TLOUR. I had enough with the original game. Also, I assume they also sooner or later would release an impoved PC version, so since they already do it they'd also release a PS5 version some months before.

I wonder how much can TLoU II be improved on PS5. Anyway, day 1 for me!
I assume they'll only add the TLOUP1 game engine improvements and PS5 features, and for the other things they'll simply use the PS4 assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: toadsage44

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
PC ports are hear to stay. Shawn Layden opened up the floodgates, and Jim Ryan turned it up to 11. Lol
I'd say they're still between 6 and 8 at most. Not all games get ported, they get ported roughly 2 years after the og version.

11 would be PC version day and date, for every Sony game with equal promotion... i guess PC gamepass would be something else.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think big picture with naughty dog issue is Sony only has so many “aaa banger” studios and naughty dog is woefully mismanaged as much as people don’t want to admit it. They went from a fun, adventure, whimsical story and graphical showpiece dev to this over the top angry, sensitive, and secretive company that is more or less creatively bankrupt at the moment. They are, or were rather, thought of as Sonys premier studio. The “bungie when they made halo” to Xbox or the team that makes Mario for Nintendo to the last of us factory.

I blame this 100 percent on Neil druckmann. All of this is because of him. He pushed out any henning and then he eventually Bruce starley. He is an outsider coming in to rule the roost. Every achievement they’ve had since he’s been there has been in spite of him, not because of him. And now we see the studio is borderline dysfunctional cancelling projects and going back to remastering games that came out literally 3 years ago.

Sony needs to fire him immediately and try to get naughty dog back in a rythem. If naughty dog thinks they have another 10-15 million seller with last of us 2 politics in 2025 or 26 when a new game could theoretically come out, they’ve lost the plot. It’s not coincidence that as soon as black rock said last month they’re not giving loans for all this diversity and inclusion crap that you see all these cancellations and layoffs happening. It’s a coincidence at all.

Last edited:

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Part II is a personal favorite of mine along with the original. I’ll gladly pay $10 for an upgrade regardless of what’s added. Other than resolution I actually struggle to understand what they could do to make this a $70 buy for new players.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think big picture with naughty dog issue is Sony only has so many “aaa banger” studios and naughty dog is woefully mismanaged as much as people don’t want to admit it. They went from a fun, adventure, whimsical story and graphical showpiece dev to this over the top angry, sensitive, and secretive company that is more or less creatively bankrupt at the moment. They are, or were rather, thought of as Sonys premier studio. The “bungie when they made halo” to Xbox or the team that makes Mario for Nintendo to the last of us factory.

I blame this 100 percent on Neil druckmann. All of this is because of him. He pushed out any henning and then he eventually Bruce starley. He is an outsider coming in to rule the roost. Every achievement they’ve had since he’s been there has been in spite of him, not because of him. And now we see the studio is borderline dysfunctional cancelling projects and going back to remastering games that came out literally 3 years ago.

Sony needs to fire him immediately and try to get naughty dog back in a rythem. If naughty dog thinks they have another 10-15 million seller with last of us 2 politics in 2025 or 26 when a new game could theoretically come out, they’ve lost the plot. It’s not coincidence that as soon as black rock said last month they’re not giving loans for all this diversity and inclusion crap that you see all these cancellations and layoffs happening. It’s a coincidence at all.

Where did he touch you?

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Naughty Dog don’t put out a new game in 3 years and they are suddenly mismanaged and going down in flames and creatively bankrupt.

Some of you need to finally get therapy for Joel dying
Youre missing the part where they spend 3 years developing factions only to cancel it

Remastering games from 2020 ( either lazzines or signs of creative bankrupt )

Some people seeing that as a sign of mismanagement

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Youre missing the part where they spend 3 years developing factions only to cancel it

They haven’t announced that anything is cancelled and they specifically said they have multiple games in development

Remastering games from 2020 ( either lazzines or signs of creative bankrupt )

Ironic, you have a spider-man avatar and they remastered spider-man 2018 in 2020

All the popular ps4 games are getting remasters, has nothing to do with mismanagement. The Last of Us got a remaster a year after the original released also.

The fact is some of you have weird anxiety when it comes to Naughty Dog, whether your issue is with the games, or Druckmann, but its a you issue at the end of the day.

A studio not having a new game out within 3 years of putting out what is considered one of the best and most awarded games of the generation out is not weird. If ND is mismanaged so are the rest of SIE’s studios because none of them aside from Insomniac are putting out new games within 3 years