The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom | Review Thread

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
-discovery: not the first open world to do it, also elden ring doesn't have gliding or climbing so the process of discovery is much different, elden ring has ubisoft towers that you don't have to climb (the telescope points).
-interaction with the world: what interaction does elden ring do with the world? very little lol, there isn't even objects like boulders that you can push, elden ring doesn't have object physics. the most you can do is operate some switches...lol...that's a concept as old as dirt
-.... now you're just trolling, "easy and fun to travel the worlds"???? botw is not the first open world game to do that. double-jump, a completely different concept than botw, and a concept used in plenty of other games dating back to 2d sidescrollers...what are you talking about??
-freedom um, ok not really, in zelda you can go straight to the final boss with no prep, in elden ring you have a set of bosses you have to beat first. so no.
Not to mention the sense of explore and reward is in Souls DNA which is why I love the games, very rewarding finding a new armor or magic even when it was semi open world. Most things in BOTW aren't rewarding and shrines and kakarok shit was meaningless so it did not do tht good!

Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I would argue that more than the treasure that you find in Elden Ring, the rewards are the bosses that you find. I always find combat the #1 most rewarding thing in souls games, meeting new bosses with new attack patterns is the highlight of the game, I love the feeling of running into a room and seeing a new imposing monster and getting the feeling of "oh shit, time to focus up" - the item after beating them is just the icing on the cake. Zelda has nothing like that. There's no feeling of accomplishment from beating the enemies.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They are different games... yes.

Open World aspects very similar... BotW introduced (atually revolucioned) in Open World some things not saw before and Elden Ring follow the same:

• Dicovery: the sense of explore and reward for that so you have fun exploring and that makes you want to do more... the gameplay loop become addictive and lead players to explore even more... that in ncentivizing player discovery was something added by BotW that Elden Ring used pretty well.
  • BotW allows you to interact with the world... and it even push you to interact with the world... so the players start to swing their sword or try interactions with anything in the world... again introduced by BotW open world and so Elden Ring used to make it own world.
  • Allow players to easy and fun to travel the worlds... in Open World before you traveled the world because you need and most players wanted warps zones and teleports to jump these boring parts... in BotW you want to travel because the system and options are great... the climbing system is one of the best saw in a open world game (most doesn't even have one), hourse ridding, shield surfing, paragliding, etc add even more to players wants to travel in that world... Elden Ring used the same ideia and made Torrent a double-jump horse that travel at extreme high speeds.
  • Freedom: man that is probably the big change in Open World games introduced by BotW... freedom to do what you want whatever you want... the physics is so great that only your imagination is really a limitation to create unique experiences and creative solutions to the problemas you will face in the game... all shrine puzzes can be done in limitness ways.... you don't have the same freedom in Elden Ring as you have in BotW but they tried to avoid that weakness with a strong character build system that allow you to create a myriad of playstyles.
Both Open World design philosophies are similar... that is no surprise to anybody because Elden Ring took inpiration in BotW open world design.

The biggest difference in both games are not the Open World.
It is the combat system... or the value you get from the combat.... Elden Ring has a more complex and challenging combat system that can give you more satisfaction when you beat enemies... BotW choose a simple way combat system.

I can understand that most people that says BotW is not a good Open World game is probably not talking about Open World itself but how the combat gameply didn't fullfill their needs... something that Elden Ring does way better.

Open World itself BotW and Elden Ring follow the same designs and are very similar in execution.

You just described red dead redemption 2.

Edit: and Chore of the Wild doesn't have a great open world. It's barren, empty, there's very little to do other than travel from point A to point B.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Edit: and Chore of the Wild doesn't have a great open world. It's barren, empty, there's very little to do other than travel from point A to point B.
Not true at all.

I would argue that more than the treasure that you find in Elden Ring, the rewards are the bosses that you find. I always find combat the #1 most rewarding thing in souls games, meeting new bosses with new attack patterns is the highlight of the game, I love the feeling of running into a room and seeing a new imposing monster and getting the feeling of "oh shit, time to focus up" - the item after beating them is just the icing on the cake. Zelda has nothing like that. There's no feeling of accomplishment from beating the enemies.
Zelda ToTK has great mechanics, puzzles and traversal. Not every game needs to be Dark Souls.

These open world Zelda games and Elden Ring have a lot in common as well, that must be why you are feeling so threatened.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not true at all.

Zelda ToTK has great mechanics, puzzles and traversal. Not every game needs to be Dark Souls.

These open world Zelda games and Elden Ring have a lot in common as well, that must be why you are feeling so threatened.
Not really threatened? I just find it fascinating how certain game companies can get away with things that would tank any other game just based on reputation. By the way you can check my comment history and see that I dinged Elden Ring for technical performance as well.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Still early going for me, but I think the "best game of all time" it is not. It lacks the simple grace of BotW. A very interesting "alternate take" on the formula, though.

Edit: And, fwiw, BotW isn't my personal favorite either.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's clear to me that people look up where things are online, everyone seems to have a cool costume and shield and all I find are rusted swords and ugly looking Bokoblins weapons.

• sad

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's clear to me that people look up where things are online, everyone seems to have a cool costume and shield and all I find are rusted swords and ugly looking Bokoblins weapons.
Hummmm you need to fuse material to your weapons/shield... not just create a new one from materials.
The mix can give surprising results.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Hummmm you need to fuse material to your weapons/shield... not just create a new one from materials.
The mix can give surprising results.
How do I create a Hylian Kite Shield using fuse? How do I create a new set of armor using fuse? At least read what people are writing before answering it with the first thing that pop into your head.

People just look up where the items are on youtube and go get them, people aren't randomly finding these items just 4 days after the game released.

• noneofmybizz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
How do I create a Hylian Kite Shield using fuse? How do I create a new set of armor using fuse? At least read what people are writing before answering it with the first thing that pop into your head.

People just look up where the items are on youtube and go get them, people aren't randomly finding these items just 4 days after the game released.
You now said the shield you want... it is not via Fuse.... you just need to enter in a place and get it... you can do it any time.

If you don't mind spoilers
Hyrule Castle

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
My God. I give up, it's like talking to a door, you misunderstand stuff and then keep going on and on about it as if everybody was going along.
I really don't understand because it pretty easy to get early in the game these cool things if you go on Zelda common places even without use any guide at all.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters