The most important question Silent Hill or Resident Evil

OP
OP
Oogabooga

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
It is easy to understand if you look in another way.
For example for Dino Crysis is basically a spin-off from RE and it is not called Horror.
The horror part of Resident Evil is very light with compared with pure horror games.
It is just a part of Resident Evil and not the main focus... Survival is what the franchise focused well at least until they changed to Action.

That is why RE was never cataloged in Horror genre and Capcom had to create a new sub-genre called Survival Horror.
there is still horror elements in it enough to qualify it as horror. Just RE 5 and 6 that has a lot of action, but even both of them still horror. The rest of them are horror straight up. They are so spooky, I don't understand how can anyone think RE is not horror, it makes no sense.

Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
there is still horror elements in it enough to qualify it as horror. Just RE 5 and 6 that has a lot of action, but even both of them still horror. The rest of them are horror straight up. They are so spooky, I don't understand how can anyone think RE is not horror, it makes no sense.
I didn't say it is not horror... it has horror inside but it is very light and not the focus of RE games... it is focused in Survival (or used to be) with exploration, puzzle, and inventory management.

Take original RE... the only scary moment is the dog jumping via the window and that only happens if you don't know it (aka the first time you play)... after that there is basically no scare moment anymore.

Last edited:

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Take original RE... the only scary moment is the dog jumping via the window and that only happens if you don't know it (aka the first time you play)... after that there is basically no scare moment anymore.

You are out of your mind

• haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You are out of your mind
Nope.
I'm fan of RE.

Shinji Mikami.

"In games in Japan, a typical horror game is something like Clock Tower or Silent Hill but survival horror, the kind of game I like to create, is also entertainment,"
"The horror aspect of the game and the entertainment aspect of the game have to mix together"
"It's a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it's tough"
"I've made Evil Within to be a very difficult game but when you finish the game, you will feel a sense of achievement. It is scary, but don't be scared too much."

They turn down the scary in favor of entertainment... that is what Resident Evil is.

BTW can you list any other scary point in original Resident Evil (excluding the spiders if you have arachnophobia)? The big bosses are not presented in a scary way to you... neither the zombies, Hunters or others enemies... even the last boss is not presented in a scary way.

Maybe there is some zombie that jumps from a scary point that I'm forgetting but these moments are rare... the biggest one and more classic are the dogs jumping the windows and it only works the first time.

Maybe you have to play pure horror games to understand?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Silent Hill had a great unique vibe back when the first and second games were released, and back then I prefered its non-tank controls. But other than that I prefer RE in everything since back then until now: story, visuals, characters, puzzles, music, gameplay in the non tank-control ones, production values, amount of big entries released in the last couple of decades etc.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Nope.
I'm fan of RE.

Shinji Mikami.

"In games in Japan, a typical horror game is something like Clock Tower or Silent Hill but survival horror, the kind of game I like to create, is also entertainment,"
"The horror aspect of the game and the entertainment aspect of the game have to mix together"
"It's a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it's tough"
"I've made Evil Within to be a very difficult game but when you finish the game, you will feel a sense of achievement. It is scary, but don't be scared too much."

They turn down the scary in favor of entertainment... that is what Resident Evil is.

BTW can you list any other scary point in original Resident Evil (excluding the spiders if you have arachnophobia)? The big bosses are not presented in a scary way to you... neither the zombies, Hunters or others enemies... even the last boss is not presented in a scary way.

Maybe there is some zombie that jumps from a scary point that I'm forgetting but these moments are rare... the biggest one and more classic are the dogs jumping the windows and it only works the first time.

this is why Resident Evil 4 is easily the best Resident Evil game

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
this is why Resident Evil 4 is easily the best Resident Evil game
I confesse I could not pass the first 30 minutes of the original RE4... so I hope the REmake at least makes it less boring to me to give you a better opinion ;)
And for that reason I never played RE5 and RE6 even so I have all of them purchased... it was always in my backlog but I neve back to play backlogs so I moved forward instead.

I just played RE again with REVII in VR Mode and it was game changer... I mean even counting my nostalgia about original RE... RE7 in VR is the best RE experience I ever had... that is why I choose to wait PSVR2 to play Village.

Plus I hope REmake 4 can be played in PSVR2... do it Capcom.

PS. Sometimes I keep dreaming with original RE made in VR... it should be fucking awesome.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022

I played this game when I was like 12 and the entire thing was terrifying, scary doesn't just mean an effective jump scare. The simple door loading screens were a very inventive way to create tension for example. Scary? Depends on how you're defining it but it's absolutely creepy. The whole first section of the game before the labs is super creepy and even when nothing is happening you feel uneasy. REmake taking this further with stuff like jiggling doorknobs and the crimson heads, the retooled dog window scare, etc.

The game is old hat now and the genre well worn, but give this game to a kid who has never played horror and I don't think he's gong to say there was only one jump scare in an action game, it's a generally creepy game and your first time you are walking around with your cheeks clenched because you don't know what the fuck is going to come at you. That's scary.

I would say none of the other moments are as effective or memorable as the dog jump scare, but it's absurd to say there is only one scare in the game.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I played this game when I was like 12 and the entire thing was terrifying, scary doesn't just mean an effective jump scare. The simple door loading screens were a very inventive way to create tension for example. Scary? Depends on how you're defining it but it's absolutely creepy. The whole first section of the game before the labs is super creepy and even when nothing is happening you feel uneasy. REmake taking this further with stuff like jiggling doorknobs and the crimson heads, the retooled dog window scare, etc.

The game is old hat now and the genre well worn, but give this game to a kid who has never played horror and I don't think he's gong to say there was only one jump scare in an action game, it's a generally creepy game and you're first time you are walking around with your cheeks clenched because you don't know what the fuck is going to come at you. That's scary.

I would say none of the other moments are as effective or memorable as the dog jump scare, but it's absurd to say there is only one scare in the game.
Interesting... I played at 14 years old in 1996.
But I was used since very kid to watch B-side horror movies... I loved Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street, 13th Friday, etc.... it was my favorite movie genre since 8-9 years old... at school we used to schedule movie sessions at each other home after school to watches theses movies... if you think about it was prohibited to our age here in Brasil but I think our parents saw we don't have fear instead enjoyed a lot (the mon at each home sometimes watched with us) so they left us watch them.
That can explain why I was very used to scary things.

Side note... when I have around 10 years old I have a strong fever at night over 40C and I started to have hallucination and one of them has the Jason from 13th Friday at the middle of the door... I knew it was not real but it was at the same time so real that I could not call my mon/father instead I took the courage to wake up from the bed, run over it and cross the hallucination to reach my parentes bedroom and talk with my mon... after that I have to go to hospital... but that experience I remember as if it was today.... it was crazy.... it was for me super real.

I have fever others times as kid and I always expected to see well hallucinate again with some monster from the horror movies but it never happened again :(

PS. When I have nightmares it is due frogs... I have absolute and extreme terror with frogs... I have panic attack if I see frog in either dream or real life... in dreams with monsters I enjoyed to fight them... like if I dreamed with Zoombies I to cut them with Katanas or use guns to kill them like in games :D :D :D

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What movies have you guys been watching lately for Halloween? I've been watching :

Insidious Collection
Firestarter 2021 (uck! the old one is much better)

I plan on watching more this weekend even though Halloween will be over. Need to get in some Omen and Possession movies

I have the Omen Collection but only watched the first one.... was one of the most unsettling films I watched at the time, the old one!

The remake wasn't was scary at all.... lost a lot of the nuances / feel.

@Oogabooga I will play 7 first so!

Reactions: Oogabooga
OP
OP
Oogabooga

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
I didn't say it is not horror... it has horror inside but it is very light and not the focus of RE games... it is focused in Survival (or used to be) with exploration, puzzle, and inventory management.

Nope.
I'm fan of RE.

Shinji Mikami.

confused-math.gif

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: ethomaz
D

Deleted member 13

I have the Omen Collection but only watched the first one.... was one of the most unsettling films I watched at the time, the old one!

The remake wasn't was scary at all.... lost a lot of the nuances / feel.

@Oogabooga I will play 7 first so!
100% agreed. It was and still is extremely scary.. so is the Exorcist. Those films had such impact for me back then because I was very religious at the time. Even now, I'd probably see Omen but not Exorcist alone in my house.. lol

• brain

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
100% agreed. It was and still is extremely scary.. so is the Exorcist. Those films had such impact for me back then because I was very religious at the time. Even now, I'd probably see Omen but not Exorcist alone in my house.. lol

Yeah, my friend came to my house when I was younger with a TV version of the Exorcist taped on a VHS and it sat under the TV for weeks, I was so scared to watch it cause it has such a reputation alone.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Look what I got on the PS triple today!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-02 19-44-20iconera.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-02 19-44-20iconera.png
    851 KB · Views: 0

Obi-Wan

Hello there!
24 Jun 2022
It’s strange because Silent Hill is more my ‘type’ in terms of the atmosphere and story, but Resident Evil is the one I grew up with as a gamer, and absolutely irreplaceable. I think I like the REs better as games too.

And. Resident Evil 4. It’s kind of hard to put aside what’s been a clear contender for best game ever made for almost twenty years.

Reactions: RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
It’s strange because Silent Hill is more my ‘type’ in terms of the atmosphere and story, but Resident Evil is the one I grew up with as a gamer, and absolutely irreplaceable. I think I like the REs better as games too.

And. Resident Evil 4. It’s kind of hard to put aside what’s been a clear contender for best game ever made for almost twenty years.
I'm about 25 minutes into silent hill 1 and it is quite good. It holds up better than re1 in my opinion graphically but I am having a bit of an issue getting use to firing the gun tho.

Reactions: Obi-Wan

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Okay, I am almost at the end of silent hill 1 and man, it is better than re1 and re3. I still think re2 is better but wow, I am shocked how well Silent Hill 1 on PS1 still holds up in 2022

D

Deleted member 13

Okay, I am almost at the end of silent hill 1 and man, it is better than re1 and re3. I still think re2 is better but wow, I am shocked how well Silent Hill 1 on PS1 still holds up in 2022
Wow. I liked SH2 a lot because of her melee weapons but man, I'm hoping they do make a SH Remake.