The official opinions from Sony, Ubisoft, WB, BN, Apple, Riot, Google and more about the Activision Blizzard acquisition (From ERA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
Does Sony have something to compete against CoD? Maybe.

Does MS have something to compete against Wolverine.

I didn't know this game got released. I haven't seen any reviews or gameplay videos unless I missed something. Can you post a link so I can check it out.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I didn't know this game got released. I haven't seen any reviews or gameplay videos unless I missed something. Can you post a link so I can check it out.

woah GIF

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think alot of xbox paid for astroturf shills and ambassadors are making sonys statement as a sign of weakness or spells doom for them, but what they said is objectively true. COD is huge and it would take alot of money and time to replicate that. The doom sayers make no sense to me because Microsoft has already stated its staying multiplatform. I think alot of the hostility coming from xbox astroturfers is because they have alot of pent up anger at in 3rd place for over a decade.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I think alot of xbox paid for astroturf shills and ambassadors are making sonys statement as a sign of weakness or spells doom for them, but what they said is objectively true. COD is huge and it would take alot of money and time to replicate that. The doom sayers make no sense to me because Microsoft has already stated its staying multiplatform. I think alot of the hostility coming from xbox astroturfers is because they have alot of pent up anger at in 3rd place for over a decade.
It's not even about being true or not. It's a strategy and it can make the regulators forbid MS to make these games exclusive to Xbox. That's the whole point of what Sony is doing. At the same time, MS is downplaying the games's value hoping the regulators allow them to whatever they want to the IPs.
I don't expect shills to understand how business works, though, but it's crystal clear why both are doing what they're doing.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I mean Playstation won't have to "foreclose" if they lose AB games.. it's sort of a nothing statement in the grand scheme of things, but to regulators the entire point of that statement is exactly what you just said about Sony.. "you are being more dramatic than it is."

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sony is right though, it literally takes every single activision team to make and support call of duty. No one is really trying to dedicate over 4000+ people every single year to one franchise.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Sony is right though, it literally takes every single activision team to make and support call of duty. No one is really trying to dedicate over 4000+ people every single year to one franchise.

You shouldn't make it a yearly game, just like what Bungie's doing with their game. Make a solid game and work on expansions.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
But then how will they milk their fanbase for 15m copies every year? :unsure:

No need to, expansions will do. Also spend that time on making cosmetics and shit. It's like what BF4 used to be, and how Rainbow Six is doing now. Just support the game and keep at it. Bungie been doing good as well, not on COD caliber but good for them. You don't really need to seek COD lunacy as it shown that people just got tired of it and it's declining already.

Reactions: Lord Mittens

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
It's over 3k not 4k and it's across working on like 3-4 products at once. I'd say Ubisoft probably has more people on Ass Creed but Ubisoft is also sort of woefully inefficient with more employees than much bigger ($ wise) pubs.

I have trouble calling Sony "right" here because Sony hasn't tried to compete in the online shooter space in almost a decade. They failed to really get any of their FPS to take off but they were a different company then.. I actually think Sony has a chance to make a GAAS game that does insanely well.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It's over 3k not 4k and it's across working on like 3-4 products at once. I'd say Ubisoft probably has more people on Ass Creed but Ubisoft is also sort of woefully inefficient with more employees than much bigger ($ wise) pubs.

I have trouble calling Sony "right" here because Sony hasn't tried to compete in the online shooter space in almost a decade. They failed to really get any of their FPS to take off but they were a different company then.. I actually think Sony has a chance to make a GAAS game that does insanely well.

I think Sony threw in the towel too early on some of their games.

MAG was pretty decent and had potential to be a successful franchise. Even now it can be revived. Sony had other plans and decided to put all its eggs in the COD basket.

The Getaway is another franchise which has potential. Can't rely Take 2 being independent forever.

Playstation Home is another. Imagine it with VR.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

MAG was pretty decent and had potential to be a successful franchise. Even now it can be revived. Sony had other plans and decided to put all its eggs in the COD basket.

The Getaway is another franchise which has potential. Can't rely Take 2 being independent forever.

Those games were made during the ps3 generation, before MTX, F2P, Cloud Streaming, Mobile gaming dominance, and before they even had a proper online infrastructure. Sony had no real reason to continue and chase Halo when there wasn’t as big of a return on it. Their first party studios also weren’t as strong and noteworthy as they are now. They were basically just throwing everything at the wall back then, which some people loved cause you got a bunch of different genres but a lot of overlap and underperforming titles.

Sony today with the way its studios are run and supported and the way its marketed could put out a few dominate FPS/Multiplayer. The sooner they do it the better while they still have market dominance.

But its all part of the same machine. The never ending CoD machine that makes sure it maintains its mindshare year after year. Like imagine if Ubisoft was actually putting out a new Assassins creed every year? That would be insane, its already crazy how much they put them out but annual AAA game is almost unheard of outside of sports genre.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com

Well I think it probably was a good strategy at the time.

Let these crazy franchises like COD/GTA have the spotlight in their sub-genres and focus on getting marketing / content deals instead of directly competing against them. It certainly worked out fantastically in the short term.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
But its all part of the same machine. The never ending CoD machine that makes sure it maintains its mindshare year after year. Like imagine if Ubisoft was actually putting out a new Assassins creed every year? That would be insane, its already crazy how much they put them out but annual AAA game is almost unheard of outside of sports genre.
Well they've released one most years since the series launched.

Just not quite every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.