The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023 - According to Sources

24 Jun 2022
Putting a link to the article here since I haven't seen a thread up for it yet.

Appears Sony has a PS5 model in the works where a fit-to-form BD-ROM disc drive connects to a base discless model via USB Type-C port. Personally I think it's a great idea, and the biggest benefit is it helps with production/manufacturing logistics.

Instead of needing to manufacture two explicitly different models (one with no disc drive, one with the disc drive built in), Sony can now manufacture a single base model that can act as a replacement to both the PS5 Digital, and PS5 Disc, and the attachable disc drive facilitating the physical media functionality the PS5 Disc model currently provides.

Same expected functionality, two SKU models serving current price brackets, while helping to drive down the costs for shipping (can fit more units in a pallet from say Point A to Point B, to a midpoint warehouse to package together distinct SKUs and then ship those from there to Point C, so you can compartmentalize the shipping better and pay lower costs overall since certain SKUs may only be shipped from shorter distances going forward).

This won't make any different to those with a PS5 Disc or Digital model right now, tho I suppose those with a Digital PS5 might want to know if Sony ever allows for reading/authentication of PS5 BD-ROMs off an external disc drive reader, be it this fit-to-form one or a 3P one. Interested to see what y'all think of this.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If the aesthetics look good, I think it's a great idea. It would help them with the production, it would help the devs to test less stuff and would help users in case they buy a discless SKU and later want to upgrade to the disc one (or to sell the disc reader if don't use it anymore) or even replace it in the future for a faster model or to easly offer a replacement for potentially broken ones. And also reduces the entry point for the 'big SKU' since now players wouldn't get the sense of having 'the worse/weaker' one.

On top of that, the market for physical games gets smaller and smaller, and this would help to keep consoles with disc drive for a longer period of time. In fact, they could use this add-on to make a CD/DVD version to play PS1/PS2/PS3 discs in the future for those interested, while keeping the normal Blueray addon reader as only a Blueray reader to make it cheaper.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
If the aesthetics look good, I think it's a great idea. It would help them with the production, it would help the devs to test less stuff and would help users in case they buy a discless SKU and later want to upgrade to the disc one (or to sell the disc reader if don't use it anymore) or even replace it in the future for a faster model or to easly offer a replacement for potentially broken ones. And also reduces the entry point for the 'big SKU' since now players wouldn't get the sense of having 'the worse/weaker' one.

Yeah, that's another benefit; I'm not sure how much faster Blu-Ray speeds will get tbh, I think they're nearing the ceiling on that front. But in the advent faster drives of notable speed improvements come out, this new design would make upgrading to them a piece of cake.

On top of that, the market for physical games gets smaller and smaller, and this would help to keep consoles with disc drive for a longer period of time. In fact, they could use this add-on to make a CD/DVD version to play PS1/PS2/PS3 discs in the future for those interested, while keeping the normal Blueray addon reader as only a Blueray reader to make it cheaper.

Blu-Ray drives have to have the other laser diodes for CD & DVD, right? I had forgotten about that, but IIRC all three use different diodes and laser types so a drive reading more than one has increased cost because of the extra hardware required for that task. Interesting how that also impacts things.

Reactions: EDMIX

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Blu-Ray drives have to have the other laser diodes for CD & DVD, right? I had forgotten about that, but IIRC all three use different diodes and laser types so a drive reading more than one has increased cost because of the extra hardware required for that task. Interesting how that also impacts things.
I don't remember the details but I think there was a technical difference but obviously paying more you could get both. In addition to this I think there was some licensing stuff that made newer disc drives drop the CD support to cut that cost.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
I don't remember the details but I think there was a technical difference but obviously paying more you could get both. In addition to this I think there was some licensing stuff that made newer disc drives drop the CD support to cut that cost.

Yeah that sounds about right. CDs and DVDs as one example have different laser lengths and strengths, partly why the laser itself is a different color. And same should be the case with Blu-Ray.

Sony save costs since they make their own Blu-Ray drives plus they don't have to pay the licensing fee, but even so, those are costs that eventually add up when making a physically distinct model. Making a drive-less model the base opens up so many benefits on the logistics side, should be interesting to see how this develops.

I'm glad I have my original PS5 disc edition model because I really wouldn't want a digital PS5 with a disc drive attachment via the USB port on the side. Sony should just release a disc drive attachment for those who own a PS5 digital console.

The idea could be that with the detachable fit-to-form disc drive, maybe PS5 Digital owners can use it as a peripheral for discs, it just wouldn't fit to the form factor.

With this D-Chassis design, it's reportedly going to seamlessly integrate with the regular form factor, and not look like some weird bulky attachment add-on like a 32X, Jaguar CD or 360 HD-DVD drive (altho that last one did compliment the console's design very well IMO). I'm more interested in how the model will look like when no disc drive is attached tbh.

P

peter42O

The idea could be that with the detachable fit-to-form disc drive, maybe PS5 Digital owners can use it as a peripheral for discs, it just wouldn't fit to the form factor.

With this D-Chassis design, it's reportedly going to seamlessly integrate with the regular form factor, and not look like some weird bulky attachment add-on like a 32X, Jaguar CD or 360 HD-DVD drive (altho that last one did compliment the console's design very well IMO). I'm more interested in how the model will look like when no disc drive is attached tbh.

Yeah, perhaps. With consoles being limited, I don't understand why Sony is trying to manufacture all these different models when they can't even get the current models on store shelves. I would imagine that this model would replace the current all digital model. One thing I realized is that if this model releases next Fall, then PS5 Pro (if Sony is doing this) would be Fall 2024 which I do see as the halfway point for this generation.

D

Deleted member 13

Yeah, perhaps. With consoles being limited, I don't understand why Sony is trying to manufacture all these different models when they can't even get the current models on store shelves. I would imagine that this model would replace the current all digital model. One thing I realized is that if this model releases next Fall, then PS5 Pro (if Sony is doing this) would be Fall 2024 which I do see as the halfway point for this generation.
I honestly don't think there will be a PS5 Pro.

EDMIX

lol oh.....its happening.

The market for PS4 Pro and XONE X was too good for Sony or MS to ignore, I believe it will be standard thing a few years in like mid gen to put out some Pro version.

1. Its completely optional, they'll still have some Slim or something out.
2. They can market some 8K type thing or upscaling using checkerboard etc
3. They can support that enthusiast market.

Biggest reason I believe we will see a PS5 Pro, because why would Sony sit back and let MS have a Series X.......X, aka the XX, double X, 2 X 2 Furious lol Neither will allow the other to just hog some market with no response, so both very likely will have some other sku to show off all the options they give to consumers. I see no evidence that MS or Sony now magically don't want more money or something lol

D

Deleted member 13

Biggest reason I believe we will see a PS5 Pro, because why would Sony sit back and let MS have a Series X.......X, aka the XX, double X, 2 X 2 Furious lol Neither will allow the other to just hog some market with no response, so both very likely will have some other sku to show off all the options they give to consumers. I see no evidence that MS or Sony now magically don't want more money or something lol
I think the exact opposite. Last generation was the first time the consoles have ever had a more powerful version during a mid cycle generation. It made sense last gen because the hardware was very weak for that time. This time there isn't much more room for the console to grow hardware-wise unless it's putting dedicated RT chips in like Nvidia has done and I don't see that happening. To me, last gen was a one-off and not the beginning of a new trend.

Reactions: toadsage44

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It's time to upgrade that ancient wreck you call a PC of yours. ;)

night sinking GIF

saintjules

Forum Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think the exact opposite. Last generation was the first time the consoles have ever had a more powerful version during a mid cycle generation. It made sense last gen because the hardware was very weak for that time. This time there isn't much more room for the console to grow hardware-wise unless it's putting dedicated RT chips in like Nvidia has done and I don't see that happening. To me, last gen was a one-off and not the beginning of a new trend.

Yeah, there has to be something significant to justify it. If we can see games like The Matrix demo running at that fidelity with 60fps comfortably, then I'd see it making sense.

EDMIX

It made sense last gen because the hardware was very weak for that time.

PS5 and Series X will remain powerful for all time or?

Being weak for "that time" is moot, that is what will occur regardless as years from now, PS5 and Series X will be weaker then the new GPUs that are out. So this has little to do with PS4 or XONE being weak, it has MORE to do with a option to make it more powerful over time.

That option will always exist, unless those systems have infinite power, we'll see some midgen upgrade.

Its even more funny cause you make it sound as if they NEED some exact thing to make the upgrade, the lolz. They don't need to be convinced to make money, you don't need to beg them and they don't have some deep criteria to want to make some other sku to make money, you'll see that happen regardless and we'll hear you say something like

"zomg this isn't needed" or "its not even a huge upgrade" etc.

Your idea on this is based on what you believe technically makes sense, neither of theses companies put out systems based on that, they put it out based on profit, making money, gaining more install base etc. Consider this....this is the same pair of companies that even brought out PS4 and XONE....

Both literally released MORE FUCKING SKUS at the launch of this gen, PS5 disk and diskless, Series X and S, as in, they see the benefits of more options, I don't see that going away and I don't see anything to suggest Sony nor MS make that choice based on technically what makes sense, they make it based on money. Even this whole "it made sense" sir, it will always make sense for them to want to make money lol They didn't put those skus out for some real logical reason, business be damned or something, they didn't give them to us for free to apologize for weak hardware. Even if its a shitter upgrade, they'll make the sku.

Thats it.

@saintjules yea I don't know about that lol PS4 Pro was checkerboard 4K for most games, native for some, as in it was weaker then XONE X, yet that was enough for Sony to "justify" it.

If its more powerful then PS5, they doing it lol They'll just make it 8K checkerboard, more this, more that, 2 slots of M.2, new controller blah blah blah lol They are selling you something, they are not making it based on if it NEEDS to be made, their argument will always be it NEEDS to be bought. So I think many need to start looking at this based on a business perspective.

Watch us debating if its "needed" when it gets revealed lol

P

peter42O

Really? I think the generation will go 8 years making it the longest generation for both platform holders and Microsoft tying Xbox 360. Due to Covid, delays, cross-gen continuing into 2023 and possibly beyond, I see this generation being longer than the 5-6 year average it usually is and both Microsoft and Sony doing a mid-gen console refreshes.

Why do you think that there won't be a PS5 Pro?

Reactions: EDMIX

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
No need for pro consoles. What are you going to market? 8K resolution? Yeah no.

Last generation it kinda made sense because 4K tv’s were brand new. There’s nothing to market with a pro console this generation besides “better graphics.” And in that case if people really want that there’s an entire custom platform for that.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Just make it thin an black and give it a nice premium looking finish.

Cannot wait for a Pro model, I need it. Would love them to focus more on the device design and make it more Apple like.

PS5 is already premium looking. I love it. Black rectangular consoles are so bland and boring. Look at the Series X.

PS5 gives off an apple like product already.