The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023 - According to Sources

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
PS5 is sexy as hell. I got over the shock of initial design. The panda color arrangement is baller too. Sorta think it’s the best looking console to date.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
ps5 is great looking console. super quiet too. I don't need another one.
But existance of weird slim model is fine as long as we don;t get the PRO. I hate the fact that pro consoles exist at all

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This kind of consoles are long gone. If we want power, we have to accept big boxes.
Have you seen what's packed into a Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra? It's a tiny, basically silent, box that stomps a PS5 and runs on 60 watts. Yeah I know it's way more expensive but those designs could definitely be done.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
If the console has a fit to form disc drive, why would it need the USB cable? Wouldn't it just "snap" into place? Also, why have two models when they could just have one model without the disc drive and for those who want it, can just buy that separately and then install/snap it into place once they get home?

Because the USB port is towards the back of the unit and the cable would connect the drive to the port so the system can use it (and presume also provide power).

That's how I interpreted the reading, anyhow.

Perhaps but while the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X were good compared to their respective 2013 base models, the Series S is better than both and the PS5/XSX slaughters both. The SSD with ultra fast/instant load times make them worth it alone. Add in 60FPS as becoming the standard like it should be instead along with a far better GPU and CPU, I would really be surprised if there were people who weren't as impressed as I was. The short loading times and 60FPS were already enough for me. Add in Ray Traced Reflections in Miles Morales, this generation has been a leap that's perhaps not as impressive due to Covid, delays, working from home, etc. and cross-gen appearing to be lasting longer than expected.

I'm actually expecting mid-gen consoles for all three that would improve each component and make Ray Tracing more relevant at 60FPS. We'll definitely know by 2024 as if they do happen, they will be at the halfway point in my opinion.

I think it's still a stretch to think we might get mid-gen Pro models this time around, and I do personally think if anything's holding back games, it's time for AAA development and budgets needing to match accordingly. Ask anyone back in 2013, even 2015 or 2017 if they thought the base PS4 could pull off something like TLOU Part 2 or HFW. They would tell you no; they would tell you you'd need more powerful systems, hands down.

And yet those games look amazing on a base PS4 and run very well on it, too. It was just a matter of time, budget, manpower, and engine maturity. Those things aren't wholly dependent on constantly new, more powerful console hardware. By the end of this gen we'll have games running on base PS5s and Series X systems that we couldn't probably dream of right now.

What kind of techniques will be introduced to games that will make a substantial boost to visuals when consoles can't even render native 4k/60FPS? Everything is using upscaling low resolution framebuffers. RT would be the go-to tech for getting substantial visuals but the consoles don't have dedicated RT cores nor hardware upscaling tensor cores whose only job is to use AI to converge the proper rendering image. The consoles are literally very underpowered for RT games. We aren't waiting for developers to get familiar to the hardware as it's very akin to last gens SDKs.

Well, yes and no. True the consoles don't have the dedicated silicon for RT tasks the way Nvidia's GPUs do, but I don't think the raw hardware is the only way we'll see visual improvements.

Don't forget that AAA dev is mostly a thing due to consoles, not PC. PCs at the spec configuration of the consoles simply don't exist as a large enough customer base to help facilitate the revenue many $100 million/$200 million huge AAA games need or desire. OTOH consoles themselves can reach well into 70 million, 90 million, 100+ million install base territories.

Visual splendor for games on console will continue to improve both at technical level and artistic level as the install base grows, engines mature, more dev time is provided and budgets for AAA development grow. Inevitably this should also mean things like RT improve over time as well. We already have games like Miles Morales that can do RT (granted, it's not GI RT) with up to 100 FPS, that's an early effort for this gen that should bode well going forward, at least for 1P exclusives, if before seeing similar type of stuff for 3P games. But it's also going to depend a lot on the design of the game, and what can realistically be handled.

Some of my favorite prototype designs... would love a slim or pro model along these lines.

View attachment 34

View attachment 35

I'd love something like that for a PS5 Slim. There are some other cool designs too, like:

wxktkQEWhcgX9cZ7XQtbX9-1200-80.jpg

AD-COMPOSITE-PS5-Concept.jpg

Sony-PS5-MarkII-Game-Console-01.jpg

Really fond of the last one there. Anything official that could be visually inspired at least in part by some of these designs would be a treat.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Also, if there is an updated PS5 that runs cooler, is smaller, and looks better, I'll absolutely change mine out.