The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023 - According to Sources

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PS5 is already premium looking. I love it. Black rectangular consoles are so bland and boring. Look at the Series X.

PS5 gives off an apple like product already.
I would have agreed ... until I got it home haha. The loft where I have my PS5 is all decorated black and white too. You would think it would fit in and look great, but IMO it's pretty ungainly in person. Would welcome a bit more svelte version. In fact I would happily trade out my disc version if a refresh was smaller and nicer.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Can a mod kindly rename the title, please?

This is what is stated in the article : "The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2023, say sources."

@Bryank75

Done, as close as possible. Would be too long with everything. Hope that is okay!

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Yeah, perhaps. With consoles being limited, I don't understand why Sony is trying to manufacture all these different models when they can't even get the current models on store shelves. I would imagine that this model would replace the current all digital model. One thing I realized is that if this model releases next Fall, then PS5 Pro (if Sony is doing this) would be Fall 2024 which I do see as the halfway point for this generation.

Well that's why they're probably doing this new model; to get more systems regularly in stock, and reign down on any excesses in production/manufacturing costs. If they bring this model out next year, it should phase out the current Digital and Disc models, so now you just have one SKU without the fit-to-form disc drive acting as the new Digital, and one with the fit-to-form disc drive acting as the new Disc variant.

PlayStation giving everyone the D.

Chassis D.

Excellent idea, by the way. PS5 should have been like this. They could just launch the $399 variant and tack on the $49 disc drive as optional.

Personally I think that optional fit-to-form disc drive will probably retail for $99, not $49, as I'm not seeing a price cut for PS5 next year and this D Chassis model is probably meant to provide equivalent replacements for the PS5 Digital and PS5 Disc models.

But it would be a baller move if Sony could add DVD-ROM and CD-ROM support for it as well if in case they ever enable a way for people to play their disc PS2 & PS1 games on PS5, or at least let the system authenticate their discs for a digital version of the game to install on the system from disc.

Kinda like how MS does it with 360 and OG Xbox games on Xbox Series actually, except in their case you have to redownload the game from the storefront IIRC. I'd rather Sony just do it the way the PolyMega does it, rip a digital copy of the game from the physical disc, no downloads necessary.

I honestly don't think there will be a PS5 Pro.

Can see arguments both for and against it at this point TBH. It's not like the Pro models last gen moved huge numbers. There's also no '4K' moment this gen, and with PS5 at least it was built with everything to facilitate VR this time, unlike PS4 (which needed that breakout box).

OTOH, if there's enough demand, we'll probably still get a PS5 Pro and/or Series X....X.

• brain
Reactions: Heisenberg007
OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Just make it thin an black and give it a nice premium looking finish.

Cannot wait for a Pro model, I need it. Would love them to focus more on the device design and make it more Apple like.

Just as long as they don't charge $499 for a base stand.

Really? I think the generation will go 8 years making it the longest generation for both platform holders and Microsoft tying Xbox 360. Due to Covid, delays, cross-gen continuing into 2023 and possibly beyond, I see this generation being longer than the 5-6 year average it usually is and both Microsoft and Sony doing a mid-gen console refreshes.

Why do you think that there won't be a PS5 Pro?

I can think of one immediate reason: maybe they don't want the performance of a PS5 Pro to impact the first impressions of a PS6 hardware-wise. There are probably a decent number of people who bought a PS4 Pro or One X, that weren't as impressed with PS5 and Series X at launch because maybe the Pro and One X spoiled them a bit on what that generational jump should've otherwise been.

I read that and it's a good idea, one console, you want the disc drive or not? Simple. Later on you can always add the disc drive in? Brilliant stuff. Moreover, the improvements in cooling and decreased wattage and MB formfactor is even greater news the last few weeks imo.

Yeah, those earlier changes already made should carry over to this new model. Those changes were critical in terms of lowering power consumption profiles as you mentioned, while this D-Chassis should simplify production logistics so that manufacturing, assembly and packaging are more scalable and flexible.

Plus, since this model would functionally be exactly the same as the current models, there's really not much any reason someone who wants to buy a system now should wait for the D-Chassis one; it's basically going to be the same PS5 functionally anyway.

Maybe those who specifically want a PS5 Digital but also are interested in disc support at a later date could see it worth waiting until the new model is available, but I don't think Sony would bring that model out and not introduce some way for current PS5 Digital owners to expand their system for disc support as well.

Reactions: EDMIX
P

peter42O

Well that's why they're probably doing this new model; to get more systems regularly in stock, and reign down on any excesses in production/manufacturing costs. If they bring this model out next year, it should phase out the current Digital and Disc models, so now you just have one SKU without the fit-to-form disc drive acting as the new Digital, and one with the fit-to-form disc drive acting as the new Disc variant.

If the console has a fit to form disc drive, why would it need the USB cable? Wouldn't it just "snap" into place? Also, why have two models when they could just have one model without the disc drive and for those who want it, can just buy that separately and then install/snap it into place once they get home?

I can think of one immediate reason: maybe they don't want the performance of a PS5 Pro to impact the first impressions of a PS6 hardware-wise. There are probably a decent number of people who bought a PS4 Pro or One X, that weren't as impressed with PS5 and Series X at launch because maybe the Pro and One X spoiled them a bit on what that generational jump should've otherwise been.

Perhaps but while the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X were good compared to their respective 2013 base models, the Series S is better than both and the PS5/XSX slaughters both. The SSD with ultra fast/instant load times make them worth it alone. Add in 60FPS as becoming the standard like it should be instead along with a far better GPU and CPU, I would really be surprised if there were people who weren't as impressed as I was. The short loading times and 60FPS were already enough for me. Add in Ray Traced Reflections in Miles Morales, this generation has been a leap that's perhaps not as impressive due to Covid, delays, working from home, etc. and cross-gen appearing to be lasting longer than expected.

I'm actually expecting mid-gen consoles for all three that would improve each component and make Ray Tracing more relevant at 60FPS. We'll definitely know by 2024 as if they do happen, they will be at the halfway point in my opinion.

EDMIX

Really? I think the generation will go 8 years making it the longest generation for both platform holders and Microsoft tying Xbox 360. Due to Covid, delays, cross-gen continuing into 2023 and possibly beyond, I see this generation being longer than the 5-6 year average it usually is and both Microsoft and Sony doing a mid-gen console refreshes.

Could be. Sony and MS would want to make a return on their investments and the generation could very well last longer.

Last generation it kinda made sense because 4K tv’s were brand new.

lol 8K tvs are brand new.....
What are you going to market? 8K resolution? Yeah no.
Why not? I see nothing there to suggest they won't do that or something lol

Haven't some of you noticed your just arguing about the same thing not happening this gen, that happened last gen?

4K came out, we got pros
8K comes out, we'll just get pros lol

Oh PS4 and XONE was weak

OHHHHH I see, PS5 and Series X will be the last consoles? Infinite power, nothing above them or? Future proof 100% or?

I just don't see enough here to suggest that was some one off as nothing happening this gen, is some huge massive difference from last gen. Hardware will keep getting better, new formats will release, demand will exist from enthusiast. The same reasons why Sony and MS put out those systems last gen, is the same reasons they'll put them out this gen and before anyone comes in with some bullshit that they did it based on weak systems, it wasn't a free upgrade and that shit wasn't charity out of the kindness of their hearts, they SOLD YOU those pro systems sir, their goal is to make money and money exist to be made with this, the fact that they are even launching PS5 and Series X with multiple skus shows they favor that format of choice. So even if its not native 8K, you'll just see the same checkerboard argument and a few stand outs that are native or something lol

D

Deleted member 13

There is no need to. Just because the PC gets frequent upgrades every 2yrs doesn't mean the consoles need an upgrade every 3yrs. It was NEVER the trend before. Some people act as if consoles have been getting mid-gen Pro boxes ever since the inception of videogame consoles. That's clearly not the case.

Keeping up with the "jones" when it doesn't make financial sense is illogical. Costs of making consoles are increasing. There is still a chip shortage. Raising the prices even further would garner no interest (i.e. $1k consoles). Wattage is also limited. If there was a PRO model, what would it look like architecturally? Just raising everything across the board would be extremely expensive.

If there is a mid-gen refresh this generation, then I'll gladly assume every generation will have one from here on out. But I'm skeptical right now over the justification of making such a console and having to raise prices even further to the point of putting them out of the market for what the general public can afford.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 13

I'm actually expecting mid-gen consoles for all three that would improve each component and make Ray Tracing more relevant at 60FPS. We'll definitely know by 2024 as if they do happen, they will be at the halfway point in my opinion.
How are you going to expect a console to give 60FPS RT @ native 4k for a PRO model when a 3090 can't even do it?

Reactions: TygerTrip

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think it's a good idea even in the case of that they keep the current SKU with disc drive integrated and this new SKU replaces the current discless SKU.

It would allow the users that join PS5 with the lower entry point to later upgrade it adding the disc drive if desired. Depending on the shape of the external disc drive maybe it could work with the current discless SKU, which would be even better.

What we learned from 2020 til now is that all consoles coming from now on will be a pro console by default, regardless of name.

PS5 is kind of a PS4 double pro

So, next PS will be a pro console of PS5 even if it is called PS6.
It's confirmed that there will be a PS6, a next generation of consoles. This means that there will be games for it that won't run on a PS5. So won't be a PS5 Pro.

I think that there won't be a PS5 Pro because it won't be needed. They will have the mid gen push in terms of hardware of the slimmer models and PSVR2, and in the software side during mid gen we'll start getting the first big AAA games that really take advantage of the hardware of this generation, so the visual quality of the games will substantially boost.

Having fast SSDs in all consoles and more GPU memory combined with certain I/O releated improvements that remove bottlenecks to load stuff (compression, memory management and other stuff) means a paradigm shift that required extra time to build game engines and games that take advantage of it to do stuff seen in the UE5 tech demos, that as always seems fantasy when announced but at the end of the generation we'll have games looking better than the original UE5 tech demo or the Matrix one.

So a PS5 Pro SKU won't be needed, and in any case MS is moving always away and away from their own hardware, and for Sony will be more profitable to focus on a single SKU plus PSVR2 (plus mobile and PC) than in more SKUs. And well, the devs also prefer having less SKU where to having to test their games.

How are you going to expect a console to give 60FPS RT @ native 4k for a PRO model when a 3090 can't even do it?
I think that the upscaling techniques like DLSS and FSR are improving to the point that in a handful years even people like Digital Foundry won't be able to know the native resolution of the games, so the native resolution will stop being relevant: they will be able to render natively at a lower resolution at a higher framerate better looking games and you won't notice it.

Even if rendering internally at a lower resolution with all bells & whistles, they'll output whatever your tv has: 4K, 1440p or 1080p with barely noticiable upscaling artifacts. Devs will decide as always their target FPS, like 30, 60 or 120fps, pretty likely allowing a couple of options (quality and performance).

Then the next gen engines like UE5 will have super detailed original material that will render with more or less detail without requiring devs making stuff like LOD depending on the available hardware horsepower, streaming speed and GPU memory size available and target FPS.

This will mean games looking way better, including more RT stuff for things like a more natural and realistic 'real time illumination' with current hardware like the one included in a PS5. $2000 GPUs won't be needed to get a substantial quality boost. In most genres players will have enough with 30, 40 or 60fps, let's say 120fps in certain modes for certain games as extra for the small percentage of players with a 120Hz tvs.

Only a tiny percent of PC players, an insignificant part of the total, will demand to go beyond that or things like 32:9 or 48:9. As always AAA games will be designed and optimized mainly for the best selling hardware, which always is the PS of that generation so this gen will be the base PS5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

What we learned from 2020 til now is that all consoles coming from now on will be a pro console by default, regardless of name.
There is no evidence or official statement from either MS or Sony that they are going to continue development with a mid-gen Pro version for every new piece of hardware produced.

If you have an article or video, etc.. that officially states this, please share the link with the community here.

D

Deleted member 13

I think that there won't be a PS5 Pro because it won't be needed. They will have the mid gen push in terms of hardware of the slimmer models and PSVR2, and in the software side during mid gen we'll start getting the first big AAA games that really take advantage of the hardware of this generation, so the visual quality of the games will substantially boost.
What kind of techniques will be introduced to games that will make a substantial boost to visuals when consoles can't even render native 4k/60FPS? Everything is using upscaling low resolution framebuffers. RT would be the go-to tech for getting substantial visuals but the consoles don't have dedicated RT cores nor hardware upscaling tensor cores whose only job is to use AI to converge the proper rendering image. The consoles are literally very underpowered for RT games. We aren't waiting for developers to get familiar to the hardware as it's very akin to last gens SDKs.

P

peter42O

Could be. Sony and MS would want to make a return on their investments and the generation could very well last longer.

If the generation goes eight years, then I do believe that mid-gen consoles will happen because the tech will be old and outdated. The upgrades would be $500 and the consoles now would be reduced to $300 or replaced with a $300 slim model. Similar to 2016 for Sony and 2016/2017 for Microsoft.

There is no need to. Just because the PC gets frequent upgrades every 2yrs doesn't mean the consoles need an upgrade every 3yrs. It was NEVER the trend before. Some people act as if consoles have been getting mid-gen Pro boxes ever since the inception of videogame consoles. That's clearly not the case.

Keeping up with the "jones" when it doesn't make financial sense is illogical. Costs of making consoles are increasing. There is still a chip shortage. Raising the prices even further would garner no interest (i.e. $1k consoles). Wattage is also limited. If there was a PRO model, what would it look like architecturally? Just raising everything across the board would be extremely expensive.

If there is a mid-gen refresh this generation, then I'll gladly assume every generation will have one from here on out. But I'm skeptical right now over the justification of making such a console and having to raise prices even further to the point of putting them out of the market for what the general public can afford.

I agree and I personally don't want mid-gen console upgrades. I simply stay on the "expecting" side so if/when it actually happens, im already prepared to make the transition since I would and if it doesn't happen, then I save money. Win win situation for me. I simply prefer to be prepared for mid-gen console upgrades.

In short, am I expecting mid-gen console upgrades? Yes. Am I preparing for them? Yes. Do I actually want them? No. I would prefer next generations instead in Fall 2026 but I simply see the generation lasting to Fall 2028 mainly due to Covid and the domino effect caused by it.

I never said with native 4K resolution. My thinking is that the resolution stays a native 1440p and then gets upscaled to 2160p or they use those resolution techniques similar to PC where the picture looks like a native 4K but doesn't use the resources to accomplish it. I simply believe that Sony especially will want to really showcase Ray Tracing reflections, lighting, shadows, etc. at 60FPS so a mid-gen console upgrade would most likely be necessary to pull it off.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What kind of techniques will be introduced to games that will make a substantial boost to visuals when consoles can't even render native 4k/60FPS? Everything is using upscaling low resolution framebuffers. RT would be the go-to tech for getting substantial visuals but the consoles don't have dedicated RT cores nor hardware upscaling tensor cores whose only job is to use AI to converge the proper rendering image. The consoles are literally very underpowered for RT games. We aren't waiting for developers to get familiar to the hardware as it's very akin to last gens SDKs.
To make it easier to understand, the upcoming next gen engines are adding Nanite-like and Lumen-like tech.

In the past an artist had to manually make 3D objects like let's say a game character multiple times each one with different level of detail to use one or the another depending on the distance they were from the camera. All the ones what were going to be pontentially used in the next half a minute or so were loaded in the memory. The programmer had to control a budget for the memory deciding what was kept in memory, what was streamed into memory and what was removed from there.

This meant that in memory there was a lot of assets that didn't need to be there and that in many cases were never used. Space that could have been used to include extra detail on them, or to add other objects. Level design took these budgets into consideration limiting the density or variety of stuff on each level, or in screen.

Stuff like Nanite does all this process in a way more optimized way: first thanks to the new way faster streaming devs won't have in memory what may or may not appear in screen in the next minute or half a minute. They only need to put there what will be in the next second or half a second. Meaning that all these props, environment art, enemies etc that are in a 'distant' part of the level won't need to be in memory. You'll only have to keep in memory what's seen on screen and a bit more around you, the stuff that you may see in the next second or so.

This means that there is a lot of stuff removed from memory, and having more free memory means you can show more detailed stuff in front of your face. On top of that, new GPUs like the PS5 one allow the engines let's say to modify stuff like superdetailed 3D models and scale them down in the fly, super fast, something they could do with older hardware: meaning they won't have to make each object multiple times with different levels of detail and won't have to calculate which one to show and to optimize them to keep decent FPS.

They only will need to have a single super detailed one, let's say the one that in the past they did for cinematics. The engine will stream that super detailed one and thanks to the new GPU hardware will scale its detail down to the point that will be needed according to the target FPS, the target resolution (which will be way smaller than the one of the tv thanks to the new and upcoming upscaling techniques) and potential minimum distance from the camera in the next second or so. So that object will be only once in the memory and with the most optimized detail and size for that situation, without requiring the coder, artist or level designer worry about specific budgets.

Let's say the engine 'automatically' handles it in a way more optimized way than it was done before, leaving more GPU and CPU compute and memory free for other stuff, allowing to include more stuff and more detailed than before because they are taking way more advantage of the capabilites of the hardware, which with current/past engines weren't milked enough because of multiple bottlenecks.

This also means that many tricks that were made in the past to simulate detail like with fake bump mapping or lighting/shadows won't be needed anymore: the GPUs will have a super detailed model of the scene with proper materials/textures. This means that all GPU and CPU compute and memory spent on these tricks will be gone in the next gen only engines/versions of the game for next gen.

This means that again they have more detail and space available to show more detailed stuff (or make a more dense and populated scene) on screen during the next second or so.

Then there's the lighting, shadowing and reflections part. Like the previous part they are still working on it because all these things aren't as ready and optimized as needed for commercial games, but they are working on multiple Lumen-like approaches.

The goal is again to get rid of old baked tricks to fake lighting, shadows or reflections (again, freeing more CPU and GPU compute and memory) and to replace them with a single real time global illumination method that would take that entire scene of the stuff to be potentially shown in the next second or so taking into consideration the behavior of 'real' light sources and materials.

They are doing it in a different approach of how RTs are used today, again in way more optimized way. Again, calculating it in a let's say way smaller "resolution" taking into consideration the whole scene on real time with a single solution optimizing the time spent for it and also using that each 'ray traced' at the same time for lighting, shadowing, reflections and 3D audio.

And then they are using and making different techniques (relatively similar to the upscaling ones mentioned before) to give it more detail. They are also testing to calculate it at different speeds and other tricks to achieve a better quality. The goal is again getting a way more natural and realistic lighting, shadowing and reflections making a way more optimized approach than they did before, replacing many tricks to fake stuff with a more realistic single global approach.

But well, they are still working on it and testing a lot of stuff withing that somewhat similar approach and they still have a lot of work to do. It will take years to see all this stuff, and the earlier versions will be unoptimized and not that polished, but early tests lead to think we'll get games looking better than the original UE5 demo and the Matrix demo on PS5 by the 2nd half and specially late years or PS5. In fact I assume that the properly polished and optimized versions will be released on PS5 after the PS6 release.

Btw, the idea is that all these things will be scalable meaning that with more powerful hardware like PS6 or current high-end PC hardware would allow more detailed and dense scenes, higher fps, lighting/shadowing/reflections/3D audio, higher native resolution (even if not very noticiable). Because the idea is that with these kind of engines is that given the output resolution of the TV, the original scene and the target FPS the engine would try to go as far as possible when adding detail setting the tv resolution as limit.

As I remember with the early, not final implementation of UE5 they already were able to get 4K on a PS5 at 30fps with high end visuals or 1440p at 60fps, meaning that very likely with future more optimized versions they were going to achieve 4K 60fps or beyond specially considering the upcoming upscaling techniques.

In the next gen (PS6) we could expect somewhat similar high end visuals in terms of detail at 120fps or 8K (even if it's for supersampling) with a more detailed lighting due to more RT stuff available, better upscaling, faster streaming and bigger memories so even more detail, density or variety in the scenes and related lighting/shadowing/reflections.

Last edited:
  • brain
D

Deleted member 13

I never said with native 4K resolution. My thinking is that the resolution stays a native 1440p and then gets upscaled to 2160p or they use those resolution techniques similar to PC where the picture looks like a native 4K but doesn't use the resources to accomplish it. I simply believe that Sony especially will want to really showcase Ray Tracing reflections, lighting, shadows, etc. at 60FPS so a mid-gen console upgrade would most likely be necessary to pull it off.
And I was addressing that as well. A 3090 has the bandwidth to do 4k/60FPS with DLSS. A Pro model of a PS5 won't have that kinda bandwidth.

D

Deleted member 13

To make it easier to understand, the upcoming next gen engines are adding Nanite-like and Lumen-like tech.

In the past an artist had to manually make 3D objects like let's say a game character multiple times each one with different level of detail to use one or the another depending on the distance they were from the camera. All the ones what were going to be pontentially used in the next half a minute or so were loaded in the memory. The programmer had to control a budget for the memory deciding what was kept in memory, what was streamed into memory and what was removed from there.

This meant that in memory there was a lot of assets that didn't need to be there and that in many cases were never used. Space that could have been used to include extra detail on them, or to add other objects. Level design took these budgets into consideration limiting the density or variety of stuff on each level, or in screen.

Stuff like Nanite does all this process in a way more optimized way: first thanks to the new way faster streaming devs won't have in memory what may or may not appear in screen in the next minute or half a minute. They only need to put there what will be in the next second or half a second. Meaning that all these props, environment art, enemies etc that are in a 'distant' part of the level won't need to be in memory. You'll only have to keep in memory what's seen on screen and a bit more around you, the stuff that you may see in the next second or so.

This means that there is a lot of stuff removed from memory, and having more free memory means you can show more detailed stuff in front of your face. On top of that, new GPUs like the PS5 one allow the engines let's say to modify stuff like superdetailed 3D models and scale them down in the fly, super fast, something they could do with older hardware: meaning they won't have to make each object multiple times with different levels of detail and won't have to calculate which one to show and to optimize them to keep decent FPS.

They only will need to have a single super detailed one, let's say the one that in the past they did for cinematics. The engine will stream that super detailed one and thanks to the new GPU hardware will scale its detail down to the point that will be needed according to the target FPS, the target resolution (which will be way smaller than the one of the tv thanks to the new and upcoming upscaling techniques) and potential minimum distance from the camera in the next second or so. So that object will be only once in the memory and with the most optimized detail and size for that situation, without requiring the coder, artist or level designer worry about specific budgets.

Let's say the engine 'automatically' handles it in a way more optimized way than it was done before, leaving more GPU and CPU compute and memory free for other stuff, allowing to include more stuff and more detailed than before because they are taking way more advantage of the capabilites of the hardware, which with current/past engines weren't milked enough because of multiple bottlenecks.

This also means that many tricks that were made in the past to simulate detail like with fake bump mapping or lighting/shadows won't be needed anymore: the GPUs will have a super detailed model of the scene with proper materials/textures. This means that all GPU and CPU compute and memory spent on these tricks will be gone in the next gen only engines/versions of the game for next gen.

This means that again they have more detail and space available to show more detailed stuff (or make a more dense and populated scene) on screen during the next second or so.

Then there's the lighting, shadowing and reflections part. Like the previous part they are still working on it because all these things aren't as ready and optimized as needed for commercial games, but they are working on multiple Lumen-like approaches.

The goal is again to get rid of old baked tricks to fake lighting, shadows or reflections (again, freeing more CPU and GPU compute and memory) and to replace them with a single real time global illumination method that would take that entire scene of the stuff to be potentially shown in the next second or so taking into consideration the behavior of 'real' light sources and materials.

They are doing it in a different approach of how RTs are used today, again in way more optimized way. Again, calculating it in a let's say way smaller "resolution" taking into consideration the whole scene on real time with a single solution optimizing the time spent for it and also using that each 'ray traced' at the same time for lighting, shadowing, reflections and 3D audio.

And then they are using and making different techniques (relatively similar to the upscaling ones mentioned before) to give it more detail. They are also testing to calculate it at different speeds and other tricks to achieve a better quality. The goal is again getting a way more natural and realistic lighting, shadowing and reflections making a way more optimized approach than they did before, replacing many tricks to fake stuff with a more realistic single global approach.

But well, they are still working on it and testing a lot of stuff withing that somewhat similar approach and they still have a lot of work to do. It will take years to see all this stuff, and the earlier versions will be unoptimized and not that polished, but early tests lead to think we'll get games looking better than the original UE5 demo and the Matrix demo on PS5 by the 2nd half and specially late years or PS5. In fact I assume that the properly polished and optimized versions will be released on PS5 after the PS6 release.

Btw, the idea is that all these things will be scalable meaning that with more powerful hardware like PS6 or current high-end PC hardware would allow more detailed and dense scenes, higher fps, lighting/shadowing/reflections/3D audio, higher native resolution (even if not very noticiable). Because the idea is that with these kind of engines is that given the output resolution of the TV, the original scene and the target FPS the engine would try to go as far as possible when adding detail setting the tv resolution as limit.

As I remember with the early, not final implementation of UE5 they already were able to get 4K on a PS5 at 30fps with high end visuals or 1440p at 60fps, meaning that very likely with future more optimized versions they were going to achieve 4K 60fps or beyond specially considering the upcoming upscaling techniques.

In the next gen we could expect somewhat similar high end visuals at 120fps or 8K (even if it's for supersampling) with a more detailed lighting due to more RT stuff available, faster streaming and bigger memories so even more detail, density or variety in the scenes and related lighting/shadowing/reflections.
I don't understand why you are going into detail with me over this. You know I know about this stuff. ;)

Nanite/Lumen has been shown on the consoles and they had to lower resolution down to 1080p in order to render @ just 30FPS. There is no more room in the hardware to take it with higher performance.

I also don't think studios will be able to duplicate what UE5 is doing this generation. Epic has the resources and money to innovate like that but private studios don't have those kinds of resources and a lot of game engines would require overhauls for these kinds of features. It took Epic 6yrs to implement tech like Nanite/Lumen.

• they're_right_you_know
P

peter42O

And I was addressing that as well. A 3090 has the bandwidth to do 4k/60FPS with DLSS. A Pro model of a PS5 won't have that kinda bandwidth.

True but PS5 can do dynamic 4K at 60fps with Ray Tracing now. It's just not "complete" Ray Tracing and not to the level I believe Sony wants it to be. Sony is the visuals company. It's what they care about the most plus having a more powerful console allows them to push their future TV's as the perfect combination with PS5.

We'll see what happens. I prefer a 6 year generation and no mid-gen consoles but I wouldn't be shocked or surprised to see an 8 year year generation and mid-gen consoles in 2024.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't understand why you are going into detail with me over this. You know I know about this stuff. ;)
You asked, I replied
Nanite/Lumen has been shown on the consoles and they had to lower resolution down to 1080p in order to render @ just 30FPS. There is no more room in the hardware to take it with higher performance.
In newer, more optimized builds achieved what I said and not only with UE5. Yes, there is way more room with the current hardware and they shown it. And there will be more with upcoming engine optimizations and with upscaling improvements.

I also don't think studios will be able to duplicate what UE5 is doing this generation. Epic has the resources and money to innovate like that but private studios don't have those kinds of resources and a lot of game engines would require overhauls for these kinds of features. It took Epic 6yrs to implement tech like Nanite/Lumen.
I can't provide details without leaking shit and fuck friends who signed NDAs but at least several of the current high end AAA engines/teams that you may imagine when thinking about great visuals are working on pretty similar approaches to Nanite/Lumen since several years ago. I know (some publicly mentioned it) a few other ones are moving to UE to reduce costs in engines/tools instead of making their own next gen engine of because their AAA games themselves already have insane costs.

And then there's other ones that I have no idea what are they doing right now but since in the past they did better engines than UE I assume they would be able to do something better than Unreal again even if some may stop making internal engines.

Unreal took the risk of making a shit ton of research (that many of the other ones also did) and prove it was achievable. Knowing it's achievable, having someone else that did it before, knowing the main ideas behind it and having the Unreal Engine 5 source code it's way easier to implement for the other teams.