The Quarry started out as an Until Dawn sequel

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

What you might not know is that a sequel was actually considered at one point by the studio and Sony, with former employees telling the author of this article that the game eventually evolved into what became the 2022 title The Quarry.

We came upon this information back in 2022, during an investigation into Supermassive's work culture (prior to its acquisition by Nordisk Games in July of that year). At the time, we spoke to 6 employees, all of whom alleged that the first few entries of The Dark Pictures Anthology had been subject to mismanagement and a lack of resources/time and that the studio itself didn't offer much in the way of growth, with junior designers being lumped with non-design tasks like inputting animation data.

One employee, for instance, told us, "The Quarry team was originally Until Dawn 2 working with Sony. And Sony basically paid for them to be making this for them as a prototype. Then once the prototype was done, Supermassive turned around and said, ‘We’re going to shop this around and see if anyone else wants it”, which was kind of the final nail in the coffin of any relationship with Sony. They ended up getting picked up by Google who funded it for years."

Another employee seemed to confirm The Quarry was at one point Until Dawn 2, but offered a slightly different take on these events, suggesting it was Sony who broke things off over The Dark Pictures' multi-platform approach: "The Quarry started as a pitch for Until Dawn, but they didn’t have the license. They burnt their bridges with Sony by releasing Dark Pictures on multiple platforms. As far as I’m aware someone else has that license now."
What's fascinating about these recent announcements, considering the remarks from these former employees, is the total lack of acknowledgment from Supermassive Games regarding the news of an Until Dawn movie and the PS5 & PC release. Looking at Supermassive's social media feed, for instance, the company hasn't shared any of the recent announcements to our knowledge, despite fans tagging them in several posts excited about the news.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Apparently the studio Ballistic Moon that is working on the Until Dawn remake, as well as another game, is full of former Supermassive developers. My guess is that if those projects end up doing well, Sony may buy them if anyone thinks they need a studio dedicated to making interactive movie type games.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Well if this is true then I guess I owe Sony maybe a measily apology for never trying to get a sequel. But also how can Sony be mad at Supermassive for going multiplatform? Seems like a very petty way to approach a partnership.

But Supermassive has always been kinda a mess as it took them years to get Until Dawn going to the point Sony had to send in Guerrilla Games to help retool the entire game

Either way The Quarry is a good game, so Shame about that partnership breakdown.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Isnt that until dawn and the quarry are part of anthology series

Im waiting for the next game

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sounds realistic. Since Ballistic Moon has former Until Dawn and Supermassive devs plus very capable devs from other studios, I assume that they made the remaster/remake to get uset to Until Dawn again and to have something fresh for the movie, and after it they'll make Until Dawn 2.

Isnt that until dawn and the quarry are part of anthology series
No.

Well if this is true then I guess I owe Sony maybe a measily apology for never trying to get a sequel. But also how can Sony be mad at Supermassive for going multiplatform? Seems like a very petty way to approach a partnership.

But Supermassive has always been kinda a mess as it took them years to get Until Dawn going to the point Sony had to send in Guerrilla Games to help retool the entire game

Either way The Quarry is a good game, so Shame about that partnership breakdown.
I'd bet it wasn't only because of that. Until Dawn was originally a PS Move game for PS3, but it had many changes they took forever to release it. Sony had a lot of patience with them, and also funding not only this game but many previous ones they did that weren't that popular or successful. Sony was patient and kept funding their failures.

Then, when the studio gets the first success, it makes sense that Sony would want to continue with them following that route. But Supermassive instead decided to go with someone else, maybe because they had some asshole taking decisions there and wanted more money that the one Sony was offering him. That, or maybe the Until Dawn 2 prototype sucked and they again were having issues.

Something happened there. In any case, now they're making a remaster/remake with a team who has ex-Supermassive devs and I assume after that will make a sequel after warming up the new team with the remaster/remake.

I still have this in my backlog. Any fans?
I played it with pretty low expectations and was very surprised. If you like slasher horror movies (you know, horny young people make a trip to a cabin in the woods and...) this is your game. Basically the game is the Quantic Dream gaming version of these movies (it's an adventure, not an action game like Resident Evil), with visuals that back then were stunning.

It was very fun and here the decisions really have consequences: as I remember you can complete the game with everybody dead, with everybody alive or somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Anybody know if Ballistic Moon poached Supermassive people before or after The Quarry launched? Because The Quarry is really fucking good, so one of these teams got the good people and one might be hindered going forward. I know that's an oversimplification and maybe wrong, but I would keep an eye on it.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
So basically Sonys relationship with Supermassive went sour so Sony made their own studio with ex Supermassive employees.

The remake is just a taste of whats to come from this studio.

This has eventual acquisition written all over it.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
So basically Sonys relationship with Supermassive went sour so Sony made their own studio with ex Supermassive employees.

The remake is just a taste of whats to come from this studio.

This has eventual acquisition written all over it.
Never went sour with supermassive studios sony part ways with quantic dream not supermassive

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I still have this in my backlog. Any fans?
It's excellent. The characters are up there with the most realistic faces I've seen in a game, and they're all actual actors. The story isn't super original, but it is told very well. It's a great game to play with friends who don't typically game, passing the controller around. Takes about 10 hours to complete.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
You have to be pretty dense to not see how it is identical to Until Dawn. Dumb people, country folk swerve and monster reveal are the exact same. BUT much better endings.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You have to be pretty dense to not see how it is identical to Until Dawn. Dumb people, country folk swerve and monster reveal are the exact same. BUT much better endings.
Yeah most thought it was a spiritual successor.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The fuck else can it be? The Anthology games were trash and Sony owns Until Dawn. Make a cheap copy of their best game.
You know ppl batzy out there lol they come up with all kinds of theories..

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Never went sour with supermassive studios sony part ways with quantic dream not supermassive
Yes it went sour because Supermassive went behind Sony's back with their prototype for the sequel.

Sony took their IP and left. Now it's Ballistic Moon handling it.

One employee, for instance, told us, "The Quarry team was originally Until Dawn 2 working with Sony. And Sony basically paid for them to be making this for them as a prototype. Then once the prototype was done, Supermassive turned around and said, ‘We’re going to shop this around and see if anyone else wants it”, which was kind of the final nail in the coffin of any relationship with Sony. They ended up getting picked up by Google who funded it for years."

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko