The reason exclusives exist

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Being on topic here

exclusives do not make profit on one platform nowadays, SM2 costs $300mil+ and sold 10mil+ copies yet Sony reported low incomes, the ship can't keep floating if it's loaded all of the loot on deck, they need another ship

now who'll explain why HD2 sold better on PC than PS5? isn't PS the best place to sell exclusives? fax :cool:

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
This Totoki guy clearly doesnt know the importance of exclusives

Reactions: Bryank75

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You're the biggest fanboy for a brand I have ever seen in my life and then you say this shit. Full hypocrisy and zero self-awareness 🤦‍♂️

What is Valve even publishing nowadays that makes you wet like this?
you're the one projecting on me. the thing i find interesting is taking regular pc-compatible parts and making an end-to-end experience indistinguishable from a console. i've had a windows pc plugged to a tv in my living room since like 2004. it's always been a sucky experience. in 2018, valve started making some big breakthroughs, culminating in the steam deck. they're kinda the only ones doing it, so i obviously follow them. microsoft had 20 years to do this, they're in a much better position than valve to do it, and they never even tried. i'd be happy to see a totally open source version of the PC+console concept too.

• party
Reactions: Kx11

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Being on topic here

exclusives do not make profit on one platform nowadays, SM2 costs $300mil+ and sold 10mil+ copies yet Sony reported low incomes, the ship can't keep floating if it's loaded all of the loot on deck, they need another ship

now who'll explain why HD2 sold better on PC than PS5? isn't PS the best place to sell exclusives? fax :cool:
But said exclusives do attract people to that ecosystem, yer?

Reactions: Bryank75

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
But said exclusives do attract people to that ecosystem, yer?

that's true, if his goal is selling the hardware they need exclusives but covering the costs by selling exclusives only on one platform is so wrong these days, Nintendo gets away with it because they have kids buying multiple copies for their siblings...etc PS/Xbox don't have it anymore so they need the extra 1+ mil copies from PC

• haha
Reactions: arvfab
24 Jun 2022
These are reasons but not good ones.

As a consumer I’ve always felt like the exclusive war between Xbox and PS has only harmed us. SquareEnix is one of the richest Japanese companies, they did not need a boost from PlayStation, and if they did, then fuck them. The latest game in a franchise with 16 titles + spin-offs should be on every system. I don’t care about the business dealings, it does nothing positive for the culture to deprive such a staple in gaming from people. I only pick on that game because it’s a recent occurrence, but there are many other examples.

If Sony wants to downsize their exclusive output while spreading it to more systems I think that’s a great option. It’s not losing. If anything it’s a pulling back of the veil and admitting none of the brand loyalty stuff matters. Maybe years ago but not now. Games should be everywhere.

No one is being deprived of FF 16. Square-Enix aren't discriminating or banning people from playing the game based on their skin color, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, politics or religious creed. Regardless of what mold you fit in those ways, if you want to play the game, you can freely go buy the platform with the game on it, buy the game, and have yourself a good time.

What you are describing is a world where there is no consequence for competition, meaning there are not stakes for those involved. Which usually also means, you get lower quality of offering since there isn't a genuine motivation for many to excel and do their best. And THAT ends up negatively affecting customers. Speaking of which, what you are describing is also something where customers face no consequences, positive OR negative, for their freedom of choice in a capitalist market. Again, companies aren't preventing people from buying their product, so the decision on what product to buy is that of the customer.

If the customer buys a console that doesn't have a certain game on it, then that customer should've either bought both or all the consoles, or better educated themselves before committing to the initial purchase. If they can't afford multiple consoles, that is their own personal problem financially, and maybe they should consider reevaluating their spending in other areas or get a better job, or establish an additional stream of income. Doing any of thsoe would also have the net benefit of enabling more options financially in other areas of their life.

To me, that is real pro-consumerism and real competition in effect.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
in the past, the first party title's purpose was to make the console popular. but strong content has greater potential than the console. playstation is one of the best publishers in the industry and probably has the most world class teams out of any publisher. their success is limited by the number of playstations in the world and the fact that all playstations expect to sell around 100-150M. there's no obvious path to the next playstation selling 500M worldwide. if you want playstation teams to keep pushing the envelope, either tools will have to massively improve (i.e. so fewer people can do more) or playstation games will have to be available to a wider install base than just the console.
And yet Sony and Nintendo players purchase software. PC gamers steal software or wait for massive discounts. They spend all their money on hardware because their hobby is, generally speaking, performance chasing. Xbox players simply don't buy games and use Game Pass.

I don't think anything you've said in this thread is true, and it's simply the new narrative being pushed by Xboxers to explain away the failure of the platform. It's ok to have a good piece of the market and be profitable and not expect massive growth year over year. PC is a competitor, and closely aligned with Microsoft's (and Valve's) interests no matter which you slice it. It's not this "agnostic" platform where everything should end up. On top of that it's IMO the worst user experience of any gaming platform, by far.

Both Sony and Nintendo are better off staying platforms, keeping their titles exclusive to their devices, and trying to make those places the very best place to play they possibly can. Putting previously exclusive games on PC is simply poisoning the well.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
that's true, if his goal is selling the hardware they need exclusives but covering the costs by selling exclusives only on one platform is so wrong these days, Nintendo gets away with it because they have kids buying multiple copies for their siblings...etc PS/Xbox don't have it anymore so they need the extra 1+ mil copies from PC
Total and utter bull crap. Sony and Nintendo exclusives sell because large numbers of individual players want to play them and spend their money to do so.

• brain
Reactions: arvfab and Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If at least PC ports were being used to make a PlayStation portable with crossplay with PS5 but no, PlayStation players get nothing out of it.

GaaS games day one on PC, flagship single player games should never be ported and should at least take a long time and include Denuvo.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
you're the one projecting on me. the thing i find interesting is taking regular pc-compatible parts and making an end-to-end experience indistinguishable from a console. i've had a windows pc plugged to a tv in my living room since like 2004. it's always been a sucky experience. in 2018, valve started making some big breakthroughs, culminating in the steam deck. they're kinda the only ones doing it, so i obviously follow them. microsoft had 20 years to do this, they're in a much better position than valve to do it, and they never even tried. i'd be happy to see a totally open source version of the PC+console concept too.
Yeah sure, PC is just a generic brand and you don't care about who, what, where that's why you're furiously against the Epic Store and you want everything on Steam only 🤡

SteamDeck is just a chinese knockoff you don't care who makes it 🤡

It goes against everything you've been arguing for months but okay

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

You and your xtots friends got the word from Phil that his console is dying so you're trying to take down Playstation along with it. Masks off 🤡

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It's nonsense for sony to release games on pc.
They have to pay steam or epic, they don't control anything.

On psn/their own platform they control the prices, market and get all 30% or whatever from everything being sold.
+exclusives pull new customers in. yes... even old pc players might finally snap with that one game.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah sure, PC is just a generic brand and you don't care about who, what, where that's why you're furiously against the Epic Store and you want everything on Steam only 🤡

SteamDeck is just a chinese knockoff you don't care who makes it 🤡

It goes against everything you've been arguing for months but okay

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

You and your xtots friends got the word from Phil that his console is dying so you're trying to take down Playstation along with it. Masks off 🤡
Tim Sweeney is an active blocker on the advancements I want to see. He's the enemy.

I don't care if Steam Deck is a "chinese knockoff". Something I keep saying is that consumer hardware is a bad business, and software is where the money is. If the market is flooded with cheap Chinese x86 handhelds running something like SteamOS, that's a wildly attractive way to get into gaming.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
As a result, we could have already gotten sequels to Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima, but DG was slashed, and nothing is known about GoTs, I doubt that the sequel was allocated as many resources as Naughty Dog and Guerrilla projects...
Why do people insist in this lie? Days Gone was not slashed, their director did not want it and did not propose it to headquarters. GoT has been in development since 2020, and unfortunately they are also working on an online game, so they have the budgets.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I see that the dynamic duo of half functional neurons has yet again joined this thread to port beg. It's getting fucking tiring.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
It's always the loser platform creating these narratives

Xbox has poor player counts? All games should be cross play
Xbox has terrible sales? Sales don't matter, engagement and subscriptions matter
Xbox has shitty exclusives? Exclusives shouldn't exist