The reason exclusives exist

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Provide the quote where he says PS isn't profitable

You: "Sony does not have an issue with profit"
Totoki: "overall growth, sustainable profit generation, and higher margins... is an issue for the organization"

See my confusion?

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
If Sony finally manages to launch their own store on PC then I do believe they will do day 1 releases because why not. From their POV it will make a lot of sense.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Soul? We are going into esoteric territory now.

There is no market that is more competitive than the PC one. Sony is free to build their PC store if they want to cut Valve out. They know they dont have the time, reach, expertise or content needed for it to thrive and it will bomb like Origin or the others did.

FFS Epic gave away an entire collection of games and has the most popular engine and game on the planet. EGS still bombed. I wouldn't want them to go away but they have to compete better vs Steam. Let people review the games and post comments at least...

Anyone who is against exclusive software on unique hardware is not old enough to have lived through the golden era of gaming.

Or lived through it and understood it was something specific to that era and its not coming back. For the better. Last time Sony tried with unique console hardware they had to sell a couple of buildings and divisions to improve their financials. $1.7B in the red thanks to the cell processor R&D if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
You: "Sony does not have an issue with profit"
Totoki: "overall growth, sustainable profit generation, and higher margins... is an issue for the organization"

See my confusion?
The fact you don't understand the difference between being profitable and driving higher margins. I can understand why you'd be confused

Leave the business discussion to the big boys

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Or lived through it and understood it was something specific to that era and its not coming back. For the better. Last time Sony tried with unique console hardware they had to sell a couple of buildings and divisions to improve their financials. $1.7B in the red thanks to the cell processor R&D if I am not mistaken
Do you own shares in Sony? Does their financial situation matter? They may as well be financially bankrupt seems as they're creatively bankrupt.

I guess TLoU and Uncharted releasing as exclusives on the PS3 can be ignored? Infamous, Bloodborne, the order, Spiderman etc etc on PS4?

Anyone who says they don't want unique hardware and exclusive to suit, is a shill, brainwashed, liar or all 3.

There's no benefit, none, zero, zilch, for us as gamers and customers, for the same bland slop to be released on every platform.

Just for the hell of it, how much money has Sony wasted this gen on R+D on a useless peripheral like Portal, or the numerous cancelled games and projects? I bet dollars to donuts it adds up to more than a couple billion.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The fact you don't understand the difference between being profitable and driving higher margins. I can understand why you'd be confused

Leave the business discussion to the big boys
You and the CEO of Sony. Two formidible titans of industry.