The Series S/X are getting cheaper while the PS5 is getting more expensive

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Friend from the US tells me he sees tons of Series consoles just sitting on the shelves for days/weeks. Some pics.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg
I've never even seen a pic of a PS5 available for sale in a physical retail store in the US or Europe. Still like gold dust nearly two years after release.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I've never even seen a pic of a PS5 available for sale in a physical retail store in the US or Europe. Still like gold dust nearly two years after release.
That’s true in Poland. S were always on shelves and still are. It’s a console you get for kids.

X is rarely visible in the store but abundant online and without forced bundles.
Ps5 never saw a retail shelf and it’s only sold in bundles. Now quite often but there are days it’s not there

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
I've seen them listed aways sold out within minutes of listing though.

Reactions: Hezekiah

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
That’s true in Poland. S were always on shelves and still are. It’s a console you get for kids.

X is rarely visible in the store but abundant online and without forced bundles.
Ps5 never saw a retail shelf and it’s only sold in bundles. Now quite often but there are days it’s not there
Yep.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I'd pay €600 for a PS5.
I wouldn't pay €400 for a Series X.
That's too much. Consoles aren't worth that much. Series X neither, in my opinion. Maybe after the games from the publishers that were bought out to take games away from the PS5 come out, but even then...

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
You replied "Is it a good thing Sony is making things more expensive". To me thats a baiting line, and you plus others on youtube, this site are making this out like it's just Sony needing more profits.

When its actually a lot of factors that is forcing Sony to do this just like Oculus.

Meta's worth in total with assets is 165B.
Sony's is 250B on total assets. Their networth is like 104Billion

Microsoft's net worth Over 2 Trillion.
Microsoft as a whole makes more money almost per month than Sony will make in a whole Fiscal year.

Companies like Microsoft, Amazon, and couple others can afford to weather the storm. Others like Facebook/Meta, Sony, possibly Nintendo soon can not.

I think Nintendo might be in a unique position because their console is so old and easier to produce, on top of them having surplus of it, and it being easier to ship/manufacture. They may not have as many issues as Sony when it comes to manufacture/shipping/components.

The narrative I've seen from maybe not you specifically but others has been snarky remarks on "Xbox hasn't gone up"? So Sony is greedy. When in fact its actually more common than you think during a global economic crisis for smaller companies who primarily make consumer electronics to increase prices.

The economy is hard for everyone. Sony is still posting profits. I don't like them pushing the costs of inflation, that affects everyone, on to their customers when other companies are not. If MS is willing to eat those costs and keep prices down for their customers that's a good thing. Companies that value their customers should be rewarded with more business.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
P

peter42O

Companies that value their customers should be rewarded with more business.

Agree completely. Two generations ago when Sony screwed up with PlayStation 3, I switched to Microsoft and Xbox 360. Last generation when Microsoft screwed up with Xbox One, I switched to Sony and PlayStation 4. This generation, when Sony announced $70 games and $10 upgrade fees in an effort to try to be like Nintendo despite the fact that they never will be, I switched to Microsoft and Xbox Series X.

Funny thing is that the brand that becomes my primary is where I end up spending 90% of my money for the entire generation as I simply don't see the other side as being worth more than that 10% I spend on the other brand.

• thisistheway
Reactions: DarkMage619

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Agree completely. Two generations ago when Sony screwed up with PlayStation 3, I switched to Microsoft and Xbox 360. Last generation when Microsoft screwed up with Xbox One, I switched to Sony and PlayStation 4. This generation, when Sony announced $70 games and $10 upgrade fees in an effort to try to be like Nintendo despite the fact that they never will be, I switched to Microsoft and Xbox Series X.

Funny thing is that the brand that becomes my primary is where I end up spending 90% of my money for the entire generation as I simply don't see the other side as being worth more than that 10% I spend on the other brand.
You switched to Xbox because of 10 bucks?
So better not play god of war ragnarok?

P

peter42O

You switched to Xbox because of 10 bucks?
So better not play god of war ragnarok?

I switched primary gaming consoles for several reasons. The $70 price tag, $10 upgrade fees, smaller SSD, gimmick based controller and while PS5 is close, Series X is the overall better console spec wise excluding the SSD. Other reasons were Game Pass which includes all day one first party games and that Microsoft will get a decent amount of third party games into Game Pass day one that I want to play so that was another reason. Ability to use my Xbox One controller was another. Easy refund policy. Free cloud saves. These last three have been huge for me thus far this generation.

Overall, I simply didn't like the direction Sony was going in compared to Microsoft. And all of this was before the Bethesda acquisition which was an unexpected bonus going into this generation.

As for God of War Ragnarok, hahaha, nice try. Just because I switched my primary gaming console doesn't mean that I won't buy the that I want to play which is why I said 90% - 10% once the generation ends. GOWR is a day one disc based purchase.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The economy is hard for everyone. Sony is still posting profits. I don't like them pushing the costs of inflation, that affects everyone, on to their customers when other companies are not. If MS is willing to eat those costs and keep prices down for their customers that's a good thing. Companies that value their customers should be rewarded with more business.

I guess meta doesn’t care either.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I switched primary gaming consoles for several reasons. The $70 price tag, $10 upgrade fees, smaller SSD, gimmick based controller and while PS5 is close, Series X is the overall better console spec wise excluding the SSD. Other reasons were Game Pass which includes all day one first party games and that Microsoft will get a decent amount of third party games into Game Pass day one that I want to play so that was another reason. Ability to use my Xbox One controller was another. Easy refund policy. Free cloud saves. These last three have been huge for me thus far this generation.

Overall, I simply didn't like the direction Sony was going in compared to Microsoft. And all of this was before the Bethesda acquisition which was an unexpected bonus going into this generation.

As for God of War Ragnarok, hahaha, nice try. Just because I switched my primary gaming console doesn't mean that I won't buy the that I want to play which is why I said 90% - 10% once the generation ends. GOWR is a day one disc based purchase.
Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of your choice honestly.
70$ for Sony games is just few games a year if even that.
Upgrade fees were 2 or 3 games. Some games got patch for free like tlou2 or god of war and days gone.
Smaller ssd? This is the worst reason yet to avoid good Sony exclusives until end of generation… it’s big enough to install few games and you can expand cheaper than on Xbox. Nobody is also forcing you to install 10 games at the same time.

Gimmick based controller?! What?!
The controller does everything Xbox controller does and then also haptics and triggers. It’s amazing and does not come at a cost of other features.

Refunds, cloud saves…. Ugh…. If you pay for gamepass anyway, you would pay for ps+ so you would have cloud saves. Refunds? Who the duck cares ?!
And I don’t get people obsession with cloud saves. How many consoles you people are playing your games at?!

The only reason I see is gamepass. But I prefer good unique games rather than free indies myself. And it’s not like ps+ don’t exist now and don’t have amazing games.

So to summarise. That is load of bs argument :p we will see later this gen if you will miss out on big games.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
The "smaller SSD" point is moot IMHO.
While the Series X SSD gives a couple hundred more GB in the built-in storage, the expansion card is proprietary and more expensive than the storage upgrade options available for PS5.

The PS5 works with third party M.2 SSDs that are within spec, which is not only cheaper, but also allows me to re-use the SSD elsewhere if it ever comes to that.

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022
While the Series X SSD gives a couple hundred more GB in the built-in storage, the expansion card is proprietary and more expensive than the storage upgrade options available for PS5.

The PS5 works with third party M.2 SSDs that are within spec, which is not only cheaper, but also allows me to re-use the SSD elsewhere if it ever comes to that.
Proprietary storage is a huge con. Totally anti consumer.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You think the only difference in pricing comes down to a single $10 fee?

No one here sees Meta as a serious gaming platform.

Meta increased their headset by $100 fir same reasons of global economic issues. That was my point. And more consumer electronics are following suit. There’s a article from game industry biz talking about things to come in the consumer electronics landscape. It’s like it went over your head?

Not everything is console wars.

Reactions: BadBurger

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022
Meta increased their headset by $100 fir same reasons of global economic issues. That was my point. And more consumer electronics are following suit. There’s a article from game industry biz talking about things to come in the consumer electronics landscape. It’s like it went over your head?

Not everything is console wars.
Looking at the custom tag he's been given on NeoGaf everything to him is console war material.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Even more moot point if we take into consideration the better compression PS5 often has.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022

The Series X SSD situation is exactly why I sold mine. Like hell I’m buying those overpriced SSDs considering I’ve been a PS owner my whole life and used to standard drives dating back to PS2 era.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster