The Series S/X are getting cheaper while the PS5 is getting more expensive

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The Series X SSD situation is exactly why I sold mine. Like hell I’m buying those overpriced SSDs considering I’ve been a PS owner my whole life and used to standard drives dating back to PS2 era.
Xbox owners are used to proprietary disks since the 360 days!

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The "smaller SSD" point is moot IMHO.
While the Series X SSD gives a couple hundred more GB in the built-in storage, the expansion card is proprietary and more expensive than the storage upgrade options available for PS5.

The PS5 works with third party M.2 SSDs that are within spec, which is not only cheaper, but also allows me to re-use the SSD elsewhere if it ever comes to that.
there was even experiment where people compared how much first year games took, and PS5 with smaller SSD had more space than xbox with their, because of compression.
plus, you can buy 1 Tb way way cheaper than xbox.

i am not gonna even go into other fallacy points, a man just trying just justify his purchase.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
Meta increased their headset by $100 fir same reasons of global economic issues. That was my point. And more consumer electronics are following suit. There’s a article from game industry biz talking about things to come in the consumer electronics landscape. It’s like it went over your head?

Not everything is console wars.
Sounds like my point went over your head. VR headsets are a niche product. Look at PSVR. They get a fraction of the sales of traditional consoles so them increasing their price is largely meaningless unless you are trying to compare the popularity of PS5 to the Quest.

Xbox and Switch are consumer electronics much more like PS5 yet surprise, surprise they are not increasing their prices. There is no consumer focused reason for the PS5 price increase and defending that decision is almost certainly rooted in the console wars that are clearly on your mind. It is OK to call it a bad anti consumer move. It is certainly a much bigger deal than optional proprietary storage solution.

The Series X SSD situation is exactly why I sold mine. Like hell I’m buying those overpriced SSDs considering I’ve been a PS owner my whole life and used to standard drives dating back to PS2 era.
The PS2 had proprietary memory cards too. I find it quite interesting that for all the reasons people don't like Xbox that the optional storage solution was the reason you sold it. People obviously don't know this but you can connect just about any external storage drive to the system. It will store your games just as well. You don't need MS storage drive at all.

• haha
Reactions: BadBurger

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sounds like my point went over your head. VR headsets are a niche product. Look at PSVR. They get a fraction of the sales of traditional consoles so them increasing their price is largely meaningless unless you are trying to compare the popularity of PS5 to the Quest.

Xbox and Switch are consumer electronics much more like PS5 yet surprise, surprise they are not increasing their prices. There is no consumer focused reason for the PS5 price increase and defending that decision is almost certainly rooted in the console wars that are clearly on your mind. It is OK to call it a bad anti consumer move. It is certainly a much bigger deal than optional proprietary storage solution.

The PS2 had proprietary memory cards too. I find it quite interesting that for all the reasons people don't like Xbox that the optional storage solution was the reason you sold it. People obviously don't know this but you can connect just about any external storage drive to the system. It will store your games just as well. You don't need MS storage drive at all.

Everyone in here is literally telling you why Nintendo and Microsoft are not upping their prices. Nintendo's current hardware costs nothing to make so its easier to mitigate, there';s nothing special about a old ass piece of hardware on a very old Node process. Xbox has the whole backing and is in growth mode. So write off wise Microsoft doesnt care.

Xbox could continue to lose shit loads and Microsoft would be unaffected stock price wise.

I am not agreeing with what Sony is doing. It';s very anti-consumer. And to me the bigger issue is to me Japan, they will be irrelevant soon if they continue. I think 2023 is vital for them to do well in Japan.

I think though this is short term and I do believe come Spring next year Sony is actually going to lower the price through bundling the console with PSVR2. And I think they are trying to fast track the new redesign thats been rumored/leaked to make the console cheaper to manufacture and easier to make.

I think Spring 2023 Disc version will be $449, digital $349. With a bundle with PSVR2 being $799.

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022

In what ways can you store XSX games?

Rivet

25 Jun 2022
Successful consoles everybody want can get more expensive, while failing competitors tend to get quickly cheaper. News at eleven.

Nobody will prefer playing Grounded or The Medium to God of War Ragnarok because the console costs $50 less though...

Last edited:
P

peter42O

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of your choice honestly.
70$ for Sony games is just few games a year if even that.
Upgrade fees were 2 or 3 games. Some games got patch for free like tlou2 or god of war and days gone.
Smaller ssd? This is the worst reason yet to avoid good Sony exclusives until end of generation… it’s big enough to install few games and you can expand cheaper than on Xbox. Nobody is also forcing you to install 10 games at the same time.

Gimmick based controller?! What?!
The controller does everything Xbox controller does and then also haptics and triggers. It’s amazing and does not come at a cost of other features.

Refunds, cloud saves…. Ugh…. If you pay for gamepass anyway, you would pay for ps+ so you would have cloud saves. Refunds? Who the duck cares ?!
And I don’t get people obsession with cloud saves. How many consoles you people are playing your games at?!

The only reason I see is gamepass. But I prefer good unique games rather than free indies myself. And it’s not like ps+ don’t exist now and don’t have amazing games.

So to summarise. That is load of bs argument :p we will see later this gen if you will miss out on big games.

No need for me to convince myself which wouldn't make any sense anyway since my decision was made in Spring 2020 long before the consoles even released. Once I make a decision, I don't change it.

Wait, do you believe that I don't own a PS5? Because I do. There's a difference between not owning the console and simply having it as my secondary exclusives only gaming console. The SSD and the other reasons I posted was more of a combination as opposed to any one single reason.

The stuff the DualSense does Xbox One already did. The only difference is that it wasn't overhyped, overblown and over marketed. I hate all that shit and will always see it as gimmicky regardless of who does it. For me, all that shit gets turned off at the system level. I don't like these gimmicks and never will. I just want a standard basic controller and that's it. I don't need it to vibrate in my hands for some odd reason nor do I want the triggers to give me resistance when playing a shooter. No thanks. But hey, if you enjoy it, more power to you. Thankfully, outside of exclusives, I get to avoid that gimmicky ass controller completely.

I DON'T subscribe to Game Pass on a monthly basis. I only subscribe when there's a game I want to play day one and the difference is why would I pay for PS+ when there's no day one games whatsoever for me? You're acting like I subscribe to Game Pass year round or some shit. I fucking don't. And I would never subscribe to PS+ because im not an online gamer so why would I need it? It's of no use to me.

Cloud saves has been HUGE for me. A few games I dropped and then uninstalled but decided to go back to them later on and having the save file in the cloud to where I was able to pick up right where I left off literally allowed me to finish the games because if not, highly unlikely that I would have replayed what I already played just to beat them. Refunds have also been pretty big for me. Over 5+ games I bought digitally and didn't like so I refunded them. On PlayStation 5, I would have been stuck with that shit.

I see Game Pass and PlayStation Plus as both being the same but with one major difference and that's the day one games which is important to me. A Plague Tale Requiem isn't a free indie. It's an AA game that looks like an AAA title. It's also a $60 title that I will be able to play and complete for a $10 monthly rental. Both subscriptions have a lot of good to great to excellent games. No argument there. But I don't care about past games because I have already played and completed the games that would be of any interest to me years ago.

It's not a bullshit argument because it's FOR ME. Not for anyone else. I don't give two shits what anyone else does or doesn't do. I only care about what's best for me. That's it.

And I still don't understand you saying "if I will miss out on big games"? I OWN A PS5. I'm not missing out on exclusive that I want to play day one so I don't understand this comment when I own a PS5.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022

Memory cards for save data is not the same as SSD for game data.

Even though I said the SSD situation on XSX is why I sold it, there were other reasons: The UI sucked really hard. The whole experience felt unpolished. I felt disconnected from the experience of using the console. Somehow, it just felt like the whole thing was rushed and was completely joyless to use. I felt like the console was an empty husk of a UX.

I signed up for 3 years of GamePass using "that one trick" too. The final straw for me selling the XSX was when I downloaded Flight Simulator and while loading I could see a mouse cursor on the loading screen. A FUCKING MOUSE CURSOR. I sold the console the next day. At least I earned a €50 profit for my troubles, but then overall I'm down about $500 on my Xbox experiment because I still have an XSS that I tried to sell but nobody wanted even at the lowlow price of $180.

I then built a PC with a 3080 and I'm much happier. Although the Xbox woes continued with me because the Xbox app on Windows is so downright awful too, but that is another story for another day.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
No need for me to convince myself which wouldn't make any sense anyway since my decision was made in Spring 2020 long before the consoles even released. Once I make a decision, I don't change it.

Wait, do you believe that I don't own a PS5? Because I do. There's a difference between not owning the console and simply having it as my secondary exclusives only gaming console. The SSD and the other reasons I posted was more of a combination as opposed to any one single reason.

The stuff the DualSense does Xbox One already did. The only difference is that it wasn't overhyped, overblown and over marketed. I hate all that shit and will always see it as gimmicky regardless of who does it. For me, all that shit gets turned off at the system level. I don't like these gimmicks and never will. I just want a standard basic controller and that's it. I don't need it to vibrate in my hands for some odd reason nor do I want the triggers to give me resistance when playing a shooter. No thanks. But hey, if you enjoy it, more power to you. Thankfully, outside of exclusives, I get to avoid that gimmicky ass controller completely.

I DON'T subscribe to Game Pass on a monthly basis. I only subscribe when there's a game I want to play day one and the difference is why would I pay for PS+ when there's no day one games whatsoever for me? You're acting like I subscribe to Game Pass year round or some shit. I fucking don't. And I would never subscribe to PS+ because im not an online gamer so why would I need it? It's of no use to me.

Cloud saves has been HUGE for me. A few games I dropped and then uninstalled but decided to go back to them later on and having the save file in the cloud to where I was able to pick up right where I left off literally allowed me to finish the games because if not, highly unlikely that I would have replayed what I already played just to beat them. Refunds have also been pretty big for me. Over 5+ games I bought digitally and didn't like so I refunded them. On PlayStation 5, I would have been stuck with that shit.

I see Game Pass and PlayStation Plus as both being the same but with one major difference and that's the day one games which is important to me. A Plague Tale Requiem isn't a free indie. It's an AA game that looks like an AAA title. It's also a $60 title that I will be able to play and complete for a $10 monthly rental. Both subscriptions have a lot of good to great to excellent games. No argument there. But I don't care about past games because I have already played and completed the games that would be of any interest to me years ago.

It's not a bullshit argument because it's FOR ME. Not for anyone else. I don't give two shits what anyone else does or doesn't do. I only care about what's best for me. That's it.

And I still don't understand you saying "if I will miss out on big games"? I OWN A PS5. I'm not missing out on exclusive that I want to play day one so I don't understand this comment when I own a PS5.
You sound like a fun person…. Ooof.
I didn’t know you don’t own a ps5.

If you made the decision before consoles released and it’s impossible to change… we’ll that tells us everything. That the decision is not rational but emotional.

And about the controller. I understand you don’t like the gimmicks which imo is a huge loss. But what did Xbox controller did that dualsense only now does?
This is bs. I had Xbox one controller and now have series controller too. PS4 and ps5 controllers do more. Or you talking about silly trigger rumble? Because that is not even comparable.

If I start and drop a game and then pick it up gears later, I will still have saves locally on my hdd most likely. But I will delete them and start fresh anyway. Don’t like the idea of starting somewhere in the middle.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: TygerTrip
P

peter42O

If you made the decision before consoles released and it’s impossible to change… we’ll that tells us everything. That the decision is not rational but emotional.

And about the controller. I understand you don’t like the gimmicks which imo is a huge loss. But what did Xbox controller did that dualsense only now does?
This is bs. I had Xbox one controller and now have series controller too. PS4 and ps5 controllers do more. Or you talking about silly trigger rumble? Because that is not even comparable.

If I start and drop a game and then pick it up gears later, I will still have saves locally on my hdd most likely. But I will delete them and start fresh anyway. Don’t like the idea of starting somewhere in the middle.

Hahaha. I'm a blast!!! lol

Now you do. I haven't been a single console owner since the NES.

I listed all my reasons why I switched to Series X as my primary. None of my decisions are emotional simply because im not attached to any company whatsoever. My decision to go from Xbox 360 to PlayStation 4 was made in June 2013, months before both of those consoles released. Would you consider that an emotional decision? You don't need to wait until consoles get released to make a decision and my decision is simply which will be my primary and secondary consoles. It's not like im going to pass on buying what would be my secondary console. I still owned an Xbox One just like I own a PS5. Both consoles will always be purchased.

If you research the Xbox One controller, it had the same haptic and trigger feedback. It just wasn't to the same extent as what Sony did with the DualSense but it still had it. I can use it right now if I wanted to but that stuff just isn't for me. Makes my gaming experience worse which is why I always turn off all that stuff in the console settings. And I never said it was better or this or that. Just that it has already existed, that's all. I don't like any of it so good or bad, it's literally non-existent to me. Speaking of the controllers though, im also not a fan of the touch pad on the PS4/PS5 controller. In my eyes, it's nothing more than an oversized world map button.

Xbox One controller is my best controller ever. No major gimmicks or touch pads. Just a basic standard regular controller. Two analog sticks, directional pad which I prefer on Xbox One over Series X/S and PS in general. Four main face buttons. Four shoulder/trigger buttons. The "main" button to bring up the console menu to go back to the dashboard. And a simple what I call a "start" and "select" button. I'm old school. Not into all the stuff they like to add to controllers. Another positive for me is the battery life. I can use the Xbox One controller for a week of around 50 or so hours before having to fully charge the battery pack while on PS5, when playing Horizon Forbidden West, I had to literally charge it every other day. It's ridiculous.

I have a bad habit of when dropping a game, I delete everything. Sometimes I regret it but knowing that I have the free cloud saves gives me an unseen backup save file which for a few games already is a huge positive. Granted, this is bad pet peeve of mine but still, I did the same last gen with PS4 and for a few games like Control and others, I simply said fuck it because I didn't want to go through the entire first half of the game again.

To each their own though. :)

P.S. - God of War Ragnarok will be a day one disc based purchase. Just because PS5 is secondary for me doesn't mean that im going to ever skip exclusives that I actually want to play. And this applies to timed exclusives as well. If I want to play the game, it's being played day one.

• Informative
Reactions: rofif

DarkMage619

Verified Gamepass Reseller
15 Jul 2022
Everyone in here is literally telling you why Nintendo and Microsoft are not upping their prices. Nintendo's current hardware costs nothing to make so its easier to mitigate, there';s nothing special about a old ass piece of hardware on a very old Node process. Xbox has the whole backing and is in growth mode. So write off wise Microsoft doesnt care.
Sony is still continuing to reduce the cost to produce and weight of the PS5. They have been posting outstanding profits. They did not have to increase the price of their system. They could have added PS+ or included a game if they wanted to up the price yet they did not. I don't care why MS and Nintendo didn't up their prices. I don't want any excuses made for billion/trillion dollar companies to charge gamers more. I highly doubt Sony will be dropping the price any time soon.

• haha
Reactions: BadBurger

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony is still continuing to reduce the cost to produce and weight of the PS5. They have been posting outstanding profits. They did not have to increase the price of their system. They could have added PS+ or included a game if they wanted to up the price yet they did not. I don't care why MS and Nintendo didn't up their prices. I don't want any excuses made for billion/trillion dollar companies to charge gamers more. I highly doubt Sony will be dropping the price any time soon.
Yes boss, you set the tone and agenda.

• haha

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022
I don’t think you know the definition of “objective”.
Game consoles to a casual gamer or a kid see the value as objective. When you see the price and find out you can still play all your favorite games from Fortnite to CoD with faster load times you'll grab the cheaper option. When MS still charged for online play on free games there was an objective value add on PlayStation. That is no longer true. You can play Fortnite without downloading it and for free on XSS. Can the more expensive PlayStation do that? Objectively better.

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022
Just imagine your kid playing Astro on the ps5 controller, the look on his/her face with all those little gizmos,

The look on their face, Priceless.

~That reminds me of this

I know this is a bit of a bump, but this actually happened in my house, so I gotta reply. So true… my youngest kid was BLOWN AWAY by the dual sense with Astro!

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I know this is a bit of a bump, but this actually happened in my house, so I gotta reply. So true… my youngest kid was BLOWN AWAY by the dual sense with Astro!
its just so amazing, the innovation IMO just does not get enough praise.

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022
its just so amazing, the innovation IMO just does not get enough praise.
Ain’t that the truth? Before we got a PS5, I just thought it was a fancier rumble. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the Dualsense is an actual, honest-to-god, next-gen, gaming controller. Hell, the whole system feels next-gen, whereas the XSX just feels like a mid-range PC (to me, in my opinion). It reminded me of going from the NES to the Genesis, or my Saturn to the Dreamcast. I’m not exaggerating… it impressed me that much. If I was exaggerating, I’d say it reminded me of upgrading from my Atari 2600 to the NES (yes, I’m that old… 🦖). Between the dualsense and the instant loading, I sometimes have a hard time choosing to get the PC version or the PS5 version of a game, it’s that impressive (to me)! They should really be marketing those aspects more, IMO.

One more thing I really appreciate is Sony bringing 3D audio back to gaming. I had an A3D card around 20 years ago, and I was really disappointed that Creative buried the technology. 5.1, etc, was a huge downgrade. I guess I can think VR (and Sony) for bringing it back!

• brain
Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Ain’t that the truth? Before we got a PS5, I just thought it was a fancier rumble. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the Dualsense is an actual, honest-to-god, next-gen, gaming controller. Hell, the whole system feels next-gen, whereas the XSX just feels like a mid-range PC (to me, in my opinion). It reminded me of going from the NES to the Genesis, or my Saturn to the Dreamcast. I’m not exaggerating… it impressed me that much. If I was exaggerating, I’d say it reminded me of upgrading from my Atari 2600 to the NES (yes, I’m that old… 🦖). Between the dualsense and the instant loading, I sometimes have a hard time choosing to get the PC version or the PS5 version of a game, it’s that impressive (to me)! They should really be marketing those aspects more, IMO.

One more thing I really appreciate is Sony bringing 3D audio back to gaming. I had an A3D card around 20 years ago, and I was really disappointed that Creative buried the technology. 5.1, etc, was a huge downgrade. I guess I can think VR (and Sony) for bringing it back!
I played Astro, I know there are a few gimmicks involved in certain parts of the game, (~blowing into the controller etc) but the rest of it, skating on ice, felt so god damn real, i could actually feel the smoothness and polish of the surface as i glided about, there is a part where i was wading through quicksand, i could actually feel the resistance of the mud radiating through my body, it was astonishing to me.

I could imagine some games where it could be annoying, shooters, etc, but my mind boggles at the thought of what they can do in the future. Everything these days is just graphics, we focus way too much on that.

I am so happy we have people like Sony in the industry that are looking at innovation, not just the same old tired method that so many have become accustomed too.

• they're_right_you_know

TygerTrip

17 Jul 2022

what he is saying about the Dualsense shows he is just talking trash, just trolling. I use an XBox Elite 2 for my PC (I love those back buttons, and the customizable sticks!), but its rumble isn’t even on the same PLANET as the PS5 haptics and adaptive triggers. It is one thing to say one doesn’t care about haptics and AT… cool, different people like different things. But to claim the Haptics are just another rumble and that AT doesn’t add increased gameplay functionality is an outright lie.

Reactions: rofif