The Snitch: Playstation x "S" announcement is imminent

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That was so long ago. At the time they sold IO they needed money to develop Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. They both flopped so in the end they lost everything, IPs and studios included. Just tragic story.

Microsoft and Embracer will profit from all that eventually.
All I've seen is this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230716-231625.png
    Screenshot_20230716-231625.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 9

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
All I've seen is this:

That story is from 2022. I was talking about IO that was sold in 2017, it had nothing to do with Sony at the time. They wanted money for Avengers instead of paying for Hitman.

The resource conflict Matsuda refers to is almost certainly attributable (at least in part) to the publisher's multi-year partnership with Marvel Studios to create numerous games based on the comic giant's super heroes, starting with The Avengers.

While Matsuda was unable to discuss the partnership in detail, he did say Square Enix has dedicated "considerable development resources" when it comes to its Western studios, to ensure the Marvel games live up to expectations. We already know both Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are working on the first Avengers game, but it's unknown how much of the publisher's Western development budget is accounted for by this and other studios.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Jim Ryan seems like exactly the type of ceo to waste billions of dollars buying up square enix which is already pretty much a Playstation exclusive company, instead of worrying about bigger IP like fifa or fortnite. But then again he bought bungie so this seems like exactly the move he'd make

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Seems a reference to this

5QQNiAX.png

But I don't believe for a sec he would know about aquisitions

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Seems insane that Square dumped Crystal D and IO Interactive to make themselves more attractive as a Playstation pickup. IO is probably the best thing Square had. Likely killed the Deus Ex franchise also.
Investors generally don't care what IP we like. I am sure that sales helped decrease some debt and studios operating at a loss, which is more compelling to a buyer than "imagine making Tomb Raider popular again"

The likelihood of Square was pitching to a buyer is they'd most likely be a Japanese buyer too so international companies would be perceived as less risky maybe

• brain
Reactions: Zzero

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Investors generally don't care what IP we like. I am sure that sales helped decrease some debt and studios operating at a loss, which is more compelling to a buyer than "imagine making Tomb Raider popular again"

The likelihood of Square was pitching to a buyer is they'd most likely be a Japanese buyer too so international companies would be perceived as less risky maybe
Foreign firms will be flagged at hostile. Honesly I cannot blame the government, the Toshiba shitshow make us lose one of the biggest electronic manufacturer, basically it is a national threat.

What we gonna do now, sieze their assets?

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
24 Jun 2022
Probably a Slim model.

I still want a Pro model though, please Sony.

Not sure why Sony would reveal anything about a PS5 Slim (is the detachable disc model even rumored to be slimmer?) in the middle of July, if it's not supposed to release until September.

Just gut instinct, but maybe I'm wrong.

Seems a reference to this

5QQNiAX.png

But I don't believe for a sec he would know about aquisitions

I've seen a couple others reference this too, but @Perrott mentioned that Jason Schreier was the one who broke news on the Bungie acquisition a few hours before it was announced.

AFAIK Snitch accesses non-uploaded Youtube videos to various channels. Maybe Sony have a video announcement for something similar to Bungie, and maybe it involves Square-Enix? Still kinda far-fetched though.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I can't believe we are in a time whereas people would be excited for merger and acquisition.

I favorite merger is probably Bandai Namco. Namco is my favorite video game studio since Bandai merges with Namco they had constantly push Namco part off the edge.

They constantly makes shit decision in 2000s, from stupid platform deal that almost killed my favorite franchise, to a COD clone which is the spit in the face to old fan. Ridge Racer has been in limbo for years, they milked Tekken 6 as much as they can. One Namco major studio was reduced to making shitty idol music game. We must remind Bamco that Pac-Man exists too, because their rot brained executives must have forget about it.

Big merger is never good.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I can't believe we are in a time whereas people would be excited for merger and acquisition.

I favorite merger is probably Bandai Namco. Namco is my favorite video game studio since Bandai merges with Namco they had constantly push Namco part off the edge.

They constantly makes shit decision in 2000s, from stupid platform deal that almost killed my favorite franchise, to a COD clone which is the spit in the face to old fan. Ridge Racer has been in limbo for years, they milked Tekken 6 as much as they can. Namco is reduced to making shitty idol music game.

Big merger is never good.
We all know that but what can we do now? The floodgates are open. Just grab what you can and go

towards the cloud

Black Friday Shopping GIF

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
I've seen a couple others reference this too, but @Perrott mentioned that Jason Schreier was the one who broke news on the Bungie acquisition a few hours before it was announced.

AFAIK Snitch accesses non-uploaded Youtube videos to various channels. Maybe Sony have a video announcement for something similar to Bungie, and maybe it involves Square-Enix? Still kinda far-fetched though.
Jason knew that info 1 hour before because Bloomeberg gets that info 1 hour before the general public.

Now as someone who made tons of threads on The Snitch, he never been wrong. So he most likely knows something.

But if he speculating, if he is refering to the Slim, or another showcase, we should found out very soon lol

kuzon

23 Jun 2023
Do you think Sony would actually purchase Square just to say like whether games would show on Xbox just like Phil has said just to counter abk ?

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Do you think Sony would actually purchase Square just to say like whether games would show on Xbox just like Phil has said just to counter abk ?
Well it makes more sense for Sony to acquire SE then people think. More IPs for their media push, considering Nier anime is also made by Aniplex and it viewership is pretty high domestically. They also need a Japanese arm in video games since they has like 2 out of 17 of their 1st party studio.

Bungie is more of a counter to Activision, they could grow to becomes one. Imo 2.7+1ab is somewhat cheap.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters