THEGAMER: I’m Glad I Sold My Xbox

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
  • Xbox has struggled to keep up with Nintendo and Sony when it comes to system-selling exclusives.
  • Its one ace in the hole, Game Pass, is starting to fall apart as prices skyrocket and the day one promise inevitably fell apart.
  • With talent tossed aside and Microsoft throwing money at the problem instead of addressing the root cause, Xbox feels like it's on its last legs.
Last week, I finally bit the bullet and pawned my Xbox Series X. I had it for a couple of years, but it became nothing more than a glorified, expensive Blu-ray player. I wouldn’t normally bother announcing this to the world, but after months of writing news headlines that are variations of ‘Microsoft craps the bed’, this growing apathy to Xbox is worth discussing.

Let’s look back to the very start of the year. After Microsoft’s record-breaking acquisition of Activision Blizzard King, it laid off 1,900 employees. Immediately, the cracks and unsustainability of its strategy were showing.

Xbox One was often ridiculed for its lack of games while Sony released hit after hit with The Last of Us, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, God of War, and so many more. Microsoft tried to gain a leg up in two ways, Game Pass and enormous buyouts, hoping to turn other studios’ work into its own first-party exclusives.

xbox-series-x-console-official-trailer.jpg

While an affordable library that makes gaming a less expensive hobby is a promising idea, this method is backfiring… badly. Game Pass has always promised day one releases, something Sony would not match with the revamped PS Plus for good reason. As the service continues to prove unfeasible, even negatively impacting sales, this promise turns those expensive first-party exclusives into fodder for a subscription that Microsoft is already throwing billions of dollars at.

In today’s world, games cost a lot to make. Spider-Man 2 ran up a bill of $315 million. But with Game Pass taking away sales, those expensive games are suddenly making a lot less money. Ultimately, this makes an ordinary dud a catastrophic failure. Arkane Austin—a studio with incredible prestige for developing modern classics like Dishonored and Prey—was shut down after just one bad game, despite Microsoft spending $7.5 billion on Bethesda in the first place.

The day one promise is another anchor on developers in a struggling industry already weighed down by countless influences, and Game Pass itself has warped the way so many players view games. It has exacerbated the ‘time equals quality’ debate, turned gaming into disposable fast food, and stripped away ownership, something that is worsening as we move into an all-digital future. Even Microsoft is reckoning with what it has created.

xbox-series-x-1.jpg

Starting in September, Game Pass will introduce a new ‘Standard’ tier for $14.99 per month, which won’t include day one releases. You’ll have to fork out $20 a month for the ‘Ultimate’ tier if you want to keep that perk. It’s an incredibly confusing system (there’s a ‘Core’ and ‘Standard’ version now) that is far less affordable than it once was, but it makes sense.

Game Pass costs a lot to run. Microsoft has to make up for lost third-party sales with big payouts to keep developers invested to continue boosting Game Pass sales that have now started to stagnate. And it’s losing sales on its own games from launching them on Game Pass too. Short of gutting the entire service, the only way to put the toothpaste back in the bottle is to obfuscate it and slowly bury the day one promise.

Buyouts inevitably lead to layoffs, Game Pass is an unsustainable vacuum, and then we have the exclusives themselves. After the disastrous Xbox One generation, the Series X/S stepped onto the scene, and so far, there’s very little to write home about. Halo Infinite, while a good shooter, wasn’t enough in today’s live-service world. Redfall, Hellblade 2, and Starfield—the heavy hitters Microsoft was counting on to bounce back—varied from awful to lukewarm and were swept aside as quickly as they came.

The gems of this generation are the smaller, more experimental titles, like Grounded, Pentiment, Sea of Thieves, and Hi-Fi Rush. But the studio behind Hi-Fi Rush, Tango Gameworks, was shuttered, and all these games were ported to rival platforms. Throwing money at the problem after the Xbox One has not worked, and I can’t imagine that this strategy will ever lead to anything good, especially when talent is being tossed aside so carelessly. We’re seeing disaster after disaster, as Microsoft desperately pushes forward into a ‘game anywhere’ mindset while everyone asks, ‘What games?’
I sold my Xbox because I can just play the exclusives on PC and PS5, and I doubt I’ll ever go back to Game Pass with its prices skyrocketing. It’s a dying console on its last legs that Microsoft is scrambling to make work, but after two incredibly messy generations, you have to wonder when it will finally admit defeat and go the way of Sega.
Game Pass might have put Xbox back on the map, but now it’s a shackle holding it back, and all of those studios it fought to acquire aren’t fixing the lack of games that it’s been trying to address for ten years. I don’t see a future with Xbox at this rate, so what’s the point in sticking around? I’m bowing out early.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
My XSX is unused since Starfield, and that was a pure yawn inducing turd that I couldn't finish.
Should fire it up to try Hellblade 2, but what I've heard and seen doesn't really entice me to try it.
(Have GPU that i don't luckily need to pay for, because I wouldn't 😅)

Played few Yakuza from GPU, but fuck those clickydishitstickky buttons that ruin all the combos.

Everything on Xbox is subpar!

Reactions: Shadow2027

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
There is a video on YT from the 90s i think about commenting how MS thinks throwing money can solve problems. Can't find it.
With what was all stated during the FTC trials we don't even need to see that video. They stated that their "original" plan was to outspend the competition. Plus the fact them saying that changed it hasn't. They're buying up whoever they can and trimming out whoever doesn't generate a positive profit with the numbers they want.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
My XSX is unused since Starfield, and that was a pure yawn inducing turd that I couldn't finish.
Should fire it up to try Hellblade 2, but what I've heard and seen doesn't really entice me to try it.
(Have GPU that i don't luckily need to pay for, because I wouldn't 😅)

Played few Yakuza from GPU, but fuck those clickydishitstickky buttons that ruin all the combos.

Everything on Xbox is subpar!
It really is a loud controller to play on

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I bought my Series X last year for $200 off, for hifi rush.

I didn’t take it out the box for weeks, and then Microsoft ports the game that made me buy the system, on PS5. I ended up buying it on PS5, only to come to the conclusion that the game was mid. I never tried Starfield, but my brother said it was disappointing.

They haven’t released anything of note this year, the only thing I’m remotely interested in is Stalker 2, could give a damn about Indy and Avowed. The series consoles simply had no purpose other than a subscription service.

This multiplatform, very expensive hardware, mega publisher sounds like a far more interesting Xbox than what we have got in the past 10 years. Sad to see because this is the same company that slapped Sony around silly 05-09.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
. Sad to see because this is the same company that slapped Sony around silly 05-09.
and they were buying out everyone to do it. Just making great games, good service, competing priced hardware(albeit rubbish in reliability) and doing strategic partnerships while sony shot themselves in the foot

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
With what was all stated during the FTC trials we don't even need to see that video. They stated that their "original" plan was to outspend the competition. Plus the fact them saying that changed it hasn't. They're buying up whoever they can and trimming out whoever doesn't generate a positive profit with the numbers they want.

But i would love to see that video again. If someone can find it, please provide it.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
To each their own but im loving my Xbox Series X regardless of whatever decisions Microsoft makes. For me, it's all about the games and they finally have the games that I want to play. 😂

Reactions: Sircaw

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I never sell my consoles. But I haven't turned on my Series X since Starfield released. Put about 50 hours into that and was done. The 360 was the last great console Xbox had.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
To each their own but im loving my Xbox Series X regardless of whatever decisions Microsoft makes. For me, it's all about the games and they finally have the games that I want to play. 😂
As long as you are happy, that is what really counts.