‘There’s going to be more change’: Phil Spencer speaks on Indy PS5 news

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Speaking during an Xbox podcast in February, Microsoft's gaming boss Phil Spencer had specifically ruled out Indiana Jones coming to PS5. Speaking during its latest marketing stream at Gamescom today, he was asked to comment on the announcement.

"Going to the PlayStation announcement, obviously, last Spring we launched four games – two of them on the Switch, four of them on PlayStation – and we said we were going to learn," he said. "I think at the Showcase I might have said that from our learning, we're going to do more."

"What I see when I look is that our franchises are getting stronger, our Xbox console players this year are as high as they've ever been, so I look at it and I say, our player numbers are going up for the console platform, our franchises are as strong as they've ever been… and we run a business."

He added: "It's definitely true inside of Microsoft that the bar is high for us in terms of the delivery that we have to give back to the company, because we get a level of support from the company that is just amazing in terms of what we're able to go do.
"So I look at this: how can we make our games as strong as possible, [ensure that] our platform continues to grow both on console, PC and cloud, and I think it's just going to be a strategy that works for us."

In concluding, Spencer mentioned the "pressure" facing the games industry, which has seen thousands of job losses over the past 18 months, including many inside Microsoft, and claimed that traditional ways of distributing games would continue to change.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
He's right. It's solid strategy that the fanboys are incapable of understanding. Games are the platform now. It's no longer the plastic box.
Only true for Xbox. Sony and Nintento broke several records this gen alone. SonyToo is not working.

Also coming from a man that said Nintendo has no idea what they're doing. A company that sells 10 million of almost any franchise they sell, with a console set to become the best selling in history.

The sooner this moron and xbox leave the industry, the better it'll be for everyone involved

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Only true for Xbox. Sony and Nintento broke several records this gen alone. SonyToo is not working.

Also coming from a man that said Nintendo has no idea what they're doing. A company that sells 10 million of almost any franchise they sell, with a console set to become the best selling in history.

The sooner this moron and xbox leave the industry, the better it'll be for everyone involved
The way a tide works is that the water engulfs certain parts of geography before others. They're all witnessing the rising tide, Microsoft was just the first who had to adapt. PlayStation and Nintendo aren't far behind.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
That'a just cope. This isn't colt's echo chamber.
Nah, we've already seen PlayStation put one foot in the water.

All their GAAS titles are day and date with PC and that's the majority of their resource expenditure. Remember, they're spending 60% on GAAS and 40% on single player. Now we're seeing the exclusivity period of single player shrinking all the time.

Games are the platform, not plastic boxes.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
He's right. It's solid strategy that the fanboys are incapable of understanding. Games are the platform now. It's no longer the plastic box.

Sony Too right?

Please don’t bring up no PC ports as the same thing. Cause it’s not.

Oh I see you already did. Predictable.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Yup. Game budgets keep going up and the PC user base keeps getting bigger. It's inevitable for all these companies. I expect Nintendo to get there eventually.
you fell for their PR. they actively want you to spread this misinformation. Reality is Xbox failed. PS and Nintendo will likely never take this turn unless they somehow fail as badly as Xbox did.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
you fell for their PR. they actively want you to spread this misinformation. Reality is Xbox failed. PS and Nintendo will likely never take this turn unless they somehow fail as badly as Xbox did.
I've been saying this stuff for a decade now. It doesn't take a genius to see how budgets perpetually rise and the PC base continues to grow. It also doesn't take a genius to see how much revenue 3rd party GAAS games are generating now.

This is all very predictable.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Xbox player numbers higher than ever with console sales lower than ever and gamepass subs stagnant since ever.
Sure Phil I see you subscribed to the philosophy of girl math

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

Reactions: Johnic
24 Jun 2022
The way a tide works is that the water engulfs certain parts of geography before others. They're all witnessing the rising tide, Microsoft was just the first who had to adapt. PlayStation and Nintendo aren't far behind.

For a second I thought I was reading a Mauler X post :/

Is this like how MS were the first with a subscription gaming service too? Even though SEGA Channel and Satellaview existed back in the '90s? How Microsoft were the first with cloud gaming? Even though PS Now was a thing in 2015? Like how Microsoft were the first with a focus on live TV for a console, when SIE already had PlayTV and Torne during the PS3 era (and even before that, SEGA with the Nomad able to view live TV channels with its tuner....the NEC/Hudson Turbo Express had something similar)?

You guys give MS way too much credit for being "visionaries" and ahead of the curve when they somehow failed to see the dead end their own console hardware was heading towards. A dead end they created themselves due to years of terrible decisions starting even before the XBO generation.

And if anything, I'd say Nintendo are ahead of MS and even SIE when it comes to a console-agnostic future; they're basically positioning themselves as the new Disney in entertainment between games, film, television, toys, & theme park and museum attractions. All while retaining as much vertical integration of control as possible (which always helps in delivering a cohesive message & vision).

Yup. Game budgets keep going up and the PC user base keeps getting bigger. It's inevitable for all these companies. I expect Nintendo to get there eventually.

Step outside of your bubble fantasy and look at the real world. Microsoft's problems in console are not Sony or Nintendo's problems in console, clearly.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Hopefully some day we get a behind the scenes book of what happened at Xbox/Microsoft between 2019 and Now. They went from buying up the industry to becoming third party in the span of 3 years and I don’t think that was supposed to be the plan.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
For a second I thought I was reading a Mauler X post :/

Is this like how MS were the first with a subscription gaming service too? Even though SEGA Channel and Satellaview existed back in the '90s? How Microsoft were the first with cloud gaming? Even though PS Now was a thing in 2015? Like how Microsoft were the first with a focus on live TV for a console, when SIE already had PlayTV and Torne during the PS3 era (and even before that, SEGA with the Nomad able to view live TV channels with its tuner....the NEC/Hudson Turbo Express had something similar)?

You guys give MS way too much credit for being "visionaries" and ahead of the curve when they somehow failed to see the dead end their own console hardware was heading towards. And if anything, I'd say Nintendo are ahead of MS and even SIE when it comes to a console-agnostic future; they're basically positioning themselves as the new Disney in entertainment between games, film, television, toys, & theme park and museum attractions. All while retaining as much vertical integration of control as possible (which always helps in delivering a cohesive message & vision).

Step outside of your bubble fantasy and look at the real world. Microsoft's problems in console are not Sony or Nintendo's problems in console, clearly.
Sony pony. Daddy Phil is a visionary.

I just don't get how a man that has been absolutely FAILING for over 10 years atill has a job. You'd think that someone would look at his performance and think "this man did fuck all, so why is he still here?".

And we still have people buying into his every word.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
They all have the same problem and that problem is money. They want more of it.

As costs continue to rise and other platforms become more attractive, the temptation to release on multiple platforms becomes too great.

We already see 60% of PlayStations resources are going day and date to PC.

We already see a number of their big single player exclusives come to PC after a short time.

Nintendo won't sit idly by as its costs continue to rise. Will Switch 2 marketshare rise at the same rates as Switch 2 budgets? Not likely.

Games are the platform, not plastic boxes.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Wouldn't by your logic the move of Xbox going to PC be suffice to carry the business? Why are they porting to PS5 now? Literally Phil said PS is making being Xbox hard. I thought PC was enough. We have literally e-mails from him off the FTC trials where he is console warring, what are you on about.

Hopefully some day we get a behind the scenes book of what happened at Xbox/Microsoft between 2019 and Now. They went from buying up the industry to becoming third party in the span of 3 years and I don’t think that was supposed to be the plan.
Simple they spent 80 billion and now have to answer to HQ. They are not sustainable let alone able to pay back the debt. Phil thought he would be slick by taking CoD away as a power move but good 'ol ''secret weapon'' Jimmy messed him up in court. I genuinely think he was high on power when he got access to the cheque book and didn't think of the consequences or possible outcomes. He really burnt the entire brand since he took over XGS in 2008.

Phill in that interview:
Bullshit. Blatant lies.
Of course but.. *Mumbles BS* Every screen is an Xbox now or something

F7ByL2_bkAAxfYB

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and Dabaus