‘There’s going to be more change’: Phil Spencer speaks on Indy PS5 news

24 Jun 2022
They all have the same problem and that problem is money. They want more of it.

Incorrect; the CEOs want more of it so they can line their pockets. Shareholders may want more to increase their investment but not if it comes at the risk of the product they bough stocks in. Hence why you had Goldman-Sachs investors questioning SIE on the PC strategy at an investor's call earlier this year.

Y'all really like leaving that part out :/

As costs continue to rise and other platforms become more attractive, the temptation to release on multiple platforms becomes too great.

Costs only continue to rise because of inflation and creative choices in AAA game dev. Only one of those is outside the control of publishers, can you guess which one?

We already see 60% of PlayStations resources are going day and date to PC.

For their GAAS titles. And it's a bad bet on SIE's front; they had lightning in a bottle with Helldivers. Instead that attention has been split up into games like Concord, which will likely fail commercially, leaving less room to fully capitalize on stuff like HD2.

Also, just because a company is doing a certain strategy, doesn't mean it's a smart strategy. See: Microsoft's moves for Xbox consoles over the past 10 years. And, yes, that includes Day 1 Steam for all of their 1P titles (which mainly started happening THIS generation).

We already see a number of their big single player exclusives come to PC after a short time.

And outside of an even smaller portion of them, not exactly setting the sales charts on fire.

Nintendo won't sit idly by as its costs continue to rise. Will Switch 2 marketshare rise at the same rates as Switch 2 budgets? Not likely.

It doesn't have to. Nintendo's one of the most stable companies in the world when it comes to finances, and they haven't been overtaken by greedy dumb shareholders or questionable CEOs. You have this extremely flawed idea that all companies are the exact same, and will chase money to the absolute ends of the earth, their corporate identity, ethos, or culture be damned.

That is simply not the case. Just because you've been hoodwinked by Microsoft and the GAAS market at large, doesn't mean other gaming companies operate in the exact same fashion. It's time you start looking at these companies for what they are instead of what you think they are.

Games are the platform, not plastic boxes.

They are both the platforms. And if those plastic boxes didn't matter, why haven't SIE or Nintendo made their hardware tech open-license for anyone to use to build their own systems? Why hasn't Apple with their iPhones? Google with their phones? Samsung? Even Microsoft hasn't done this (yet) with Xbox hardware.

Once again, reality smacks your farcical fantasy in its face.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
So all games sell on steam & valve gets a 30% cut of everything & hardware prices aren't subsidized so you pay more for hardware ... That's not the future of gaming
That is one of the biggest fault of the pc gamers honestly, they didn't keep nvidia honest and now even amd has started to price gouge. There should have been more pushback with the 20 series and 30 series but they gladly got cucked by jensen huang and nvidia, fucking 8gb 3070's

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
That is one of the biggest fault of the pc gamers honestly, they didn't keep nvidia honest and now even amd has started to price gouge. There should have been more pushback with the 20 series and 30 series but they gladly got cucked by jensen huang and nvidia, fucking 8gb 3070's
Well like I say parts for PC's aren't going to be subsidized because they aren't selling software or subscription services on top of that (they're still overpriced though)

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
One day I will have my dream of all games being multiplat, with console buying being more similar to choosing between a Samsung or Panasonic bluray player.

Until that day comes, however, all I can say for sure is I'm glad Microsoft is going multiplat, and I hope Sony and Ninty follow suit someday.
In any case, this is wonderful news, and I hope Microsoft continues to port their games to other devices and I hope they go a step further and port not just new stuff but their old back catalog too. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Blinx, Blinx 2, Phantom Dust, and Kameo must be freed from the shackles of the past
Your dream will come true. Once Microsoft is gone, and Nintendo is ailing, there will only be the PlayStation. Whether they end up with an all-encompassing PC launcher or PC gaming dies like a dog, again, you'll be able to access all games on one platform.

• party
Reactions: TrishaCat

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Incorrect; the CEOs want more of it so they can line their pockets. Shareholders may want more to increase their investment but not if it comes at the risk of the product they bough stocks in. Hence why you had Goldman-Sachs investors questioning SIE on the PC strategy at an investor's call earlier this year.

Y'all really like leaving that part out :/
Let me get this straight...

I say "The issue is, always has been, and always will be...They want more money."

You say "No. The CEO wants more money and the shareholders want more money."

Um...what?

(Also, don't forget developers want more money by reaching sales benchmarks)
Costs only continue to rise because of inflation and creative choices in AAA game dev. Only one of those is outside the control of publishers, can you guess which one?
Wrong again. Costs rise because the market pushes in that direction. Statistically speaking, it's getting harder and harder to spend less than 100 million dollars on a single player game and succeeding.
For their GAAS titles. And it's a bad bet on SIE's front; they had lightning in a bottle with Helldivers. Instead that attention has been split up into games like Concord, which will likely fail commercially, leaving less room to fully capitalize on stuff like HD2.
HD2 is the fastest selling PlayStation game in PlayStation history. Not bad for a AA game that only scored an 82 on Metacritic.
Also, just because a company is doing a certain strategy, doesn't mean it's a smart strategy. See: Microsoft's moves for Xbox consoles over the past 10 years. And, yes, that includes Day 1 Steam for all of their 1P titles (which mainly started happening THIS generation).
All the most successful companies in the industry are pushing in this direction. Square is moving away from platform exclusivity. Almost all of them are.
And outside of an even smaller portion of them, not exactly setting the sales charts on fire.
Those games weren't made for a PC audience. Obviously a console oriented game is going to do much better on console.

Now think for just a moment on what types of games will get greenlit now that developers know their titles will head to PC after a short window of exclusivity.
It doesn't have to. Nintendo's one of the most stable companies in the world when it comes to finances, and they haven't been overtaken by greedy dumb shareholders or questionable CEOs. You have this extremely flawed idea that all companies are the exact same, and will chase money to the absolute ends of the earth, their corporate identity, ethos, or culture be damned.
No. I never said all companies are the exact same.

All companies observe the same market forces though. Nintendo will likely be the last holdout but the tide is coming for them as well.
That is simply not the case. Just because you've been hoodwinked by Microsoft and the GAAS market at large, doesn't mean other gaming companies operate in the exact same fashion. It's time you start looking at these companies for what they are instead of what you think they are.
All the most successful companies in the industry are pushing towards GAAS and multiplayer release. If all the experts in a field are doing the same thing after observing the same market...it's possible you are wrong.
They are both the platforms.
The first correct thing you said.

However, one platform is growing in strength (GAAS) while the other is diminishing in strength (plastic boxes).

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
And if those plastic boxes didn't matter, why haven't SIE or Nintendo made their hardware tech open-license for anyone to use to build their own systems? Why hasn't Apple with their iPhones? Google with their phones? Samsung? Even Microsoft hasn't done this (yet) with Xbox hardware.
Because corporations chase profits and see such a concept as a threat to the receipt of more money.
I don't know why you'd post this as if this should matter to anyone; I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone besides Apple fanboys who thinks Apple's proprietary bullshit especially isn't frustrating.
These things don't matter not because they don't bring value or profit, but because absolutely no one on this forum should care about the profits of corporations. We play video games. We aren't corporations or investors trying to make profits.

Do you view devs who make freeware or open source software to be doing a disservice; that they're foolish for not trying to make more money?

Everyone should be looking out for consumer interests, not corporate interests. Not that there isn't importance in profit; but the myriad of 3rd party studios implies that you don't need a special plastic box to make a profit off of video games.

Last edited:

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Removing the 'plastic box' removes the incentive to buy from their storefront
Did I order Nier PS3 from Square Enix's storefront years ago because there wasn't a plastic box incentivizing me to do so or because it was selling for a really good deal and I wanted to play Nier

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Did I order Nier PS3 from Square Enix's storefront years ago because there wasn't a plastic box incentivizing me to do so or because it was selling for a really good deal and I wanted to play Nier
Square enix aren't a manufacturer ... They don't have a storefront because they don't have their own hardware with their own OS

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Imagine stanning PC on the day NPD comes out and literally spells out a decline in PC spending. Neogaf might tolerate that shit but this is America @Men_in_Boxes. PC is a dying platform and consoles are the future.
Imagine being a PCMR when the overwhelming sentiment in the PC space is negative due to continual fuckups by Intel and AMD, and ridiculous price gouging and greed by nvidia

• Informative
Reactions: Cool hand luke

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
HD2 is the fastest selling PlayStation game in PlayStation history. Not bad for a AA game that only scored an 82 on Metacritic.
This makes zero sense as an argument. Palworld sold over double what Helldivers did as a console exclusive, which itself is a console exclusive. By this logic Sony should continue pursuing that path.

All the most successful companies in the industry are pushing in this direction. Square is moving away from platform exclusivity. Almost all of them are.

Except for GTA, the literal most successful game on the market 🙄🙄🙄
Those games weren't made for a PC audience. Obviously a console oriented game is going to do much better on console
Gasp, customers want to be catered to. Why is it so hard to understand that console players want console games then??? Hence console-exclusive games.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Kokoloko

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
This makes zero sense as an argument. Palworld sold over double what Helldivers did as a console exclusive, which itself is a console exclusive. By this logic Sony should continue pursuing that path.
Palworld released on XBox and PC. It's coming to PS5 soon. So NOT a platform exclusive.
Except for GTA, the literal most successful game on the market 🙄🙄🙄
GTA is coming out on PS5 and SX and PC about a year later so again...NOT a platform exclusive. It's also hyper GAAS focused now. You are giving great examples of what I'm talking about here.
Gasp, customers want to be catered to. Why is it so hard to understand that console players want console games then??? Hence console-exclusive games.
Nothing wrong with it, but the times they are a changing. I'm a bit older so I welcome the PC influence in my console games.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Palworld released on XBox and PC. It's coming to PS5 soon. So NOT a platform exclusive.
How many copies did it sell before and after it was announced on PS5? 🤔
GTA is coming out on PS5 and SX and PC about a year later so again...NOT a platform exclusive. It's also hyper GAAS focused now. You are giving great examples of what I'm talking about here.
There's no release date or window for the PC port. Also GTA6 announced is the single player component. You know, the one that shattered all records for game trailers? Yeah, that one. They literally haven't said a word about the GTA online portion.

Nothing wrong with it, but the times they are a changing. I'm a bit older so I welcome the PC influence in my console games.
Wild saying this when PC gaming has been around for decades, PC influence has done nothing for games besides release platforms. Where's m+KB on console? Nowhere. In fact controller has taken over popular competitive fps. Hilarious claiming plastic boxes are dying in a month of declining PC revenue and growth in consoles.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
How many copies did it sell before and after it was announced on PS5? 🤔
A lot. But it was a multiplatform release so that helped a bunch.
There's no release date or window for the PC port. Also GTA6 announced is the single player component. You know, the one that shattered all records for game trailers? Yeah, that one. They literally haven't said a word about the GTA online portion.
It'll come to PC about a year later. They always do this.

But again, notice how the franchise started as a platform exclusive and has since gone multiplatform?

Am I having a stroke? How is this not easy to understand?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
“The industry is under pressure.”

Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo selling consoles and 1st party games pretty well. Rockstar, Vallve, From Soft just to name a few who are doing great.

This is Phil talking shite again. The industry was all about Gamepass and shills trying to spin the narrative. Same thing here. Consoles were also dead during the PS3/360 era.
Western media and the ones who worship it are just gonna parrot what the someone like Phil says. Bloomberg, Forbes, IGN etc etc

Dude has struggled since day one, you might as well listen to Michael Patcher at this point.

Business for Xbox/MS is changing, thats all

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke