‘There’s going to be more change’: Phil Spencer speaks on Indy PS5 news

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Microsoft wants to make more money after spending 100 billion dollars. And to do that they’re cutting Xbox entirely in addition to gutting most of Xbox studios.

Gamepass literally killed Xbox and was in decline the moment Halo tanked. Call of Duty won’t do shit since Warzone is the bottom line and free and Rainbow Six has pretty much grown to take that kind of arena player even tho it’s hero shooter trash.

They have to port Indy. Disney is pressuring for their IP to be games that sell 5 to 10 million with all contracts outside Sony’s Marvel project (because those do 30 million anyway). Gamepass shares a rental fee across 700 pieces of shit at time. Not happening.

Not happening with the pc pirates either. It’s a single player game. It’ll be pirated 10x the amount it manages to sell.

It’s also Indiana Jones and no one cares. Doom is way way way more high profile and guaranteed banger and was multi from the beginning.

Microsoft’s future in gaming will only be successful because they now are 100% behind PlayStation and third party.

Jump in.

• haha
Reactions: Infinity

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I addressed this earlier, but you avoided it for some reason. I will ask again...

What was PlayStations marketshare in 1997?
What is PlayStations marketshare today?

As their marketshare shrinks, and costs continue to rise, the natural need to expand to more platforms grows.

But don't listen to me, just observe the shift in real time.
Expand how? By forgoing own eco system and going 3rd party as far as eye can see?

IP can be used in a multitude of ways that complement, not detract - merchandise, Hollywood, TV, Mobile go games, Streaming. Anything and everything bar biting off ones nose to spite their face.

The market is different with more options slicing up the pie, but PS is bigger than ever.

Xbox going 3rd party is not new, they are doing what 3rd party has been doing since the beginning of gaming. And they are forced into it - you think they wouldn't rather have an eco system that supports all the publishers they amassed? Get that 100% while getting 30% off everyone else because they want to be there? They don't and can't so they need to follow step and be the lap dog of Sony and Steam.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Expand how? By forgoing own eco system and going 3rd party as far as eye can see.

IP can be used in a multitude of ways - merchandise, Hollywood, TV, Mobile go games. Anything and everything bar biting off ones nose to spite their face.

The market is different with more options slicing up the pie, but PS is bigger than ever.

Xbox going 3rd party is not new, they are just doing what 3rd party has been doing since the beginning of gaming. And they are forced into it - you think they wouldn't rather have an eco system that supports all the publishers they amassed? They don't and can't so they need to follow step and be the lap dog of Sony and Steam.
Do you see?

You don't even want to answer my question.

You avoided it on purpose. How are we to have an honest discussion when dishonest tactics are used to overtly? Shouldn't we be pursing truth above all else? I don't know why this topic allows human emotion to blind the truth.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Do you see?

You don't even want to answer my question.

You avoided it on purpose. How are we to have an honest discussion when dishonest tactics are used to overtly? Shouldn't we be pursing truth above all else? I don't know why this topic allows human emotion to blind the truth.
I answered your Q ages ago that tech opened up more possibilities for gaming with faster mobile computing and faster internet. Did you miss it?

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I answered your Q ages ago that tech opened up more possibilities for gaming with faster mobile computing and faster internet. Did you miss it?
I will try to make it even more simple for you

ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION...

What does PlayStations marketshare look like today compared to the PS1 days?

(Stop! The question you must answer is above! Look up!)

If this question is avoided a third time I will assume you are a troll. Nothing against trolls but time is better spent talking to more honest and open people.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I will try to make it even more simple for you

ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION...

What does PlayStations marketshare look like today compared to the PS1 days?

(Stop! The question you must answer is above! Look up!)

If this question is avoided a third time I will assume you are a troll. Nothing against trolls but time is better spent talking to more honest and open people.

Edit : updated figures by being more specific on scope of market :

Here's the historical data on the overall video game market cap, PlayStation market cap, and PlayStation's market percentage over the past decade.

1. Overall Video Game Market Cap (Global)​

The global video game market has grown significantly over the past decade. Here are approximate figures:

• 2014: $83.6 billion
  • 2015: $91.5 billion
  • 2016: $101.1 billion
  • 2017: $108.9 billion
  • 2018: $115.4 billion
  • 2019: $120.1 billion
  • 2020: $159.3 billion (pandemic spike)
  • 2021: $175.8 billion
  • 2022: $184.4 billion
  • 2023: $187.7 billion
  • 2024 (estimated): $200 billion+

2. PlayStation Market Cap (estimated from Sony's Game & Network Services)​

Sony's gaming division has consistently been one of the top revenue-generating segments, primarily due to the success of PlayStation consoles, services, and games.

• 2014: $16 billion
  • 2015: $19 billion
  • 2016: $21 billion
  • 2017: $24 billion
  • 2018: $26 billion
  • 2019: $29 billion
  • 2020: $30 billion
  • 2021: $32 billion
  • 2022: $35 billion
  • 2023: $36 billion
  • 2024 (estimated): $37 billion

3. PlayStation Market Percentage​

This is calculated by dividing the PlayStation market cap by the overall video game market cap for each year.

• 2014: 19.1%
  • 2015: 20.8%
  • 2016: 20.8%
  • 2017: 22.0%
  • 2018: 22.5%
  • 2019: 24.2%
  • 2020: 18.8%
  • 2021: 18.2%
  • 2022: 19.0%
  • 2023: 19.2%
  • 2024 (estimated): 18.5%

Notes:​

• The PlayStation market cap includes revenue from console sales, game sales, and subscription services like PlayStation Plus.
  • The surge in 2020 was mainly driven by increased gaming activity during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
A troll. How sad.

Next!
AI spat that out. what's your source and subsequent numbers?

You mentioned Tencent :

PS vs Tencent Analysis​

• Early dominance (2014-2019): PlayStation held a stronger position in the global market compared to Tencent, benefiting from the success of the PlayStation 4 and strong game titles.
  • Pandemic spike (2020): Tencent rapidly caught up due to its focus on mobile and online games, which saw massive growth during the pandemic.
  • Recent years (2021-2024): Both PlayStation and Tencent have become close competitors in market share, with PlayStation slightly ahead in market cap but both companies holding similar market percentages.
Tencent's strategy of diversification and heavy investment in other gaming companies has helped it stay competitive with PlayStation, despite focusing primarily on mobile and online gaming.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I don't interact with trolls. Time can be better spent interacting with more honest and open individuals.

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
A troll. How sad.

Next!

I don't interact with trolls. Time can be better spent interacting with more honest and open individuals.
Watching You Pedro Pascal GIF by The Academy Awards

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I'm just a simple guy. A guy asking a simple question 3 times without getting a response.

It really doesn't get deeper than that.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I'm just a simple guy. A guy asking a simple question 3 times without getting a response.

It really doesn't get deeper than that.
Gaslighting. Because there is no point to be made in the question as it is a misleading premise.

Gaming industry over the last decade is a sufficient sample of where it was and where it is. Sony gaming cap almost 3x over a decade. DO you deny it? Nuff said.

2. PlayStation Market Cap (estimated from Sony's Game & Network Services)​

Sony's gaming division has consistently been one of the top revenue-generating segments, primarily due to the success of PlayStation consoles, services, and games.

• 2014: $16 billion
  • 2015: $19 billion
  • 2016: $21 billion
  • 2017: $24 billion
  • 2018: $26 billion
  • 2019: $29 billion
  • 2020: $30 billion
  • 2021: $32 billion
  • 2022: $35 billion
  • 2023: $36 billion
  • 2024 (estimated): $37 billion