‘There’s going to be more change’: Phil Spencer speaks on Indy PS5 news

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Stop. Just stop. We're moving away from plastic boxes.

Business doesn't work this way.

PlayStation used to compete with hardware manufactureres like Nintenod and XBox. Now they're competition with game makers like Roblox, MoJang, Epic Games, EA etc...
Nintendo is about to release a "plastic box" next year that will go on to sell over 100m units over the course of 7 years. Moving away sounds ridiculous. What are we all moving to then? There will always be a place for consoles as long as native gameplay is superior to streaming.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Airbus and Umar

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
There will always be people who prefer to play on PC, or prefer Mobile, or prefer Console. MS wanting to change that by pushing a narrative which behooves their position due to poor console/content strategy will not change that, nor will the warriors pushing it. There would have to be a real reason to value a change for consumers to adjust their preferance.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Nintendo is about to release a "plastic box" next that will go on to sell over 100m units over the course of 7 years. Moving away sounds ridiculous. What are we all moving to then? There will always be a place for consoles as long as native gameplay is superior to streaming.
Yeah, change doesn't happen overnight.

No one expected Nintendo to go third party anytime soon.

Costs will continue to rise for them though...as has always been the case.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

You're going to be very disappointed in the future if you believe Microsoft... the bronze trophy of the industry is paving the way for everyone else.... just like they did with gamepass correct? :ROFLMAO:

i think you've sipped enough PR koolaid, it's time for a break.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
You're going to be very disappointed in the future if you believe Microsoft... the bronze trophy of the industry is paving the way for everyone else.... just like they did with gamepass correct? :ROFLMAO:
Well, PlayStation is already putting most of their games on PC so I don't think I'll be that disappointed. Let me know when costs start to plateau?
i think you've sipped enough PR koolaid, it's time for a break.
Or have you been drinking the PR koolaid based around what consoles used to represent?

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
When has Phil been right lol
Agree with this statement plus with Phil saying the box has nothing to do with it that's only from a loser perspective he's gotta keep his green ducklings in check somehow. Everyone else doesn't need a subscription to keep engagement.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Some of ya'll really see 160 million MAU on Minecraft and 100 million MAU on PSN and think nothing has changed.

Absolutely crazy...
It's the difference between having a business and having a product (and having a feature). PlayStation is a business. Minecraft is a product.

You say OnLY cHaNGe iS CoNStaNt but fail to take into consideration how much AI will lower costs in game development. You can't see past the current numbers in any direction and assume the change just means current trends will continue.

Your whole schtick on GAF is orgasming over GAAS and thinking it's the future. Nothing more insightful than what we've heard from countless an empty suit.

• brain
Reactions: Airbus and Say1nMan

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Here's a time stamped discussion. Jeff Grubb used to think like you guys. Now he thinks like me.

Not sure if the time stamp works. Discussion starts at 23:04

• haha
Reactions: Umar

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Now he thinks like me.
homer-brain.gif

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Disappointing, but perhaps expected responses from the console fanboys. Imagine fighting for a hunk of plastic lol

• haha
Reactions: Umar

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Disappointing, but perhaps expected responses from the console fanboys. Imagine fighting for a hunk of plastic lol
At the end of the day, you cant trust anything coming out of Phil Spencer's mouth, when ever something fails from them they just morph and move into another direction.

They have an army of paid Yes-men that support their narrative.

As for the future, i am 100% confident there will be a ps6 so regardless of what doom and gloom scenarios that are being put out there.

At the end of the day consoles, specifically PlayStation will be around for the next 10 years minimum.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Bro, we've gone over this. GaaS can be an eco system unto itself, and it can obviously be a juggernaut - but that very GaaS game still needs a sales entry point and a payment broker.

All Warzone, Minecraft and Fortnite micro junk sales via PSN are earning revenue for Sony as a benefactor.

All devs would love to have a mega hit GaaS as a golden goose obviously, but being a platform holder they do not miss out either way.

Nothing has changed for Sony. The GaaS and the platform holder are not mutually exclusive - they complement each other like any game in history has.

Sony is throwing shit at the fan in hope of having a golden goose themselves and are also chasing what may be considered money left on the table with secondary releases of IP on PC. Jury is out on short term gain vs long term brand. But one must say - their consoles are still running off the shelves so it seems they are not overly concerned.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
No need for personal insults

just stfu already

Go back to your xbox echo chamber on resetera or neogaf you dont belong here

Last edited by a moderator:

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Bro, we've gone over this. GaaS can be an eco system unto itself, and it can obviously be a juggernaut - but that very GaaS game still needs a sales entry point and a payment broker.
I addressed this earlier, but you avoided it for some reason. I will ask again...

What was PlayStations marketshare in 1997?
What is PlayStations marketshare today?

As their marketshare shrinks, and costs continue to rise, the natural need to expand to more platforms grows.

But don't listen to me, just observe the shift in real time.

Last edited: