Threads about Gamepass in forums are seemingly nonexistent nowadays

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Has anyone else noticed the gamepass threads have vanished from the other mainstream forums?
A few years ago, there was at least one thread a week trying to positively review the Xbox Series consoles and they ALWAYS revolved the threads around gamepass. "Gamepass, gamepass, gamepass, I have thousands of games available to me" and whatnot.
The review threads used to read like some PR BS or payed ads.
And now they're gone.
As much as I'd like to believe these are paid people, I actually believe these were silly fanboys that hoped that parroting about gamepass would make forum users buy xbox consoles.
But with the release of PS Extra, gamepass became irrelevant and current trends indicate people actually don't care about subscription services in gaming.
What do you think?

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Microsoft has moved on the being disruptive with gamespass, which clearly hasnt worked, to buying publishers and bribing lobbyists to redefine what the market is to make Poor little microsft look as weak as possible and big bad mean sony as evil as possible.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
You know it's because they removed the £1 3year thing, whatever they changed recently. Doubt it's still the "best deal in gaming"
It never was the best deal in gaming. It barely had good games on it, to begin with and now with PS+ Tiers, it became even more worthless than it already was. A PS user has no incentive to buy into the xbox ecosystem if they have PS+ Extra, specially if MS games don't appeal to them, which is true for the vast majority of gamers.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Anytime they say "best deal in gaming" you show them a list of PS+ and that will shut them up (if they can be honest with themselves).

If you're not a shill, 100% of customers will choose PS+ Extra as the best library with the most well-known games (add the PS+ collection too).

22 Apr 2023
Gamepass or PS Extra works for people who
- play lot of games
- have lot of time
if you are like myself who has wife and kids, work and friends then you have a very limited time and that makes me very picky when it comes to the games I play. big AAA games usually skip subscription services and also take lot of time for me to finish.
subscription services make sense for people who can sit and finish a 20h game in just one or two days.
another thing I don't understand when people say Gamepass will target mobile people: you won't find someone playing ES6 on a 6inch phone in a metro a 6AM commuting to work. these people will just play the easiest match 3 game possible and won't be paying 180$ per year to do that.

P

peter42O

I'm an Xbox and Game Pass guy yet I have never created a topic about either and rarely create topics in general due to the fact that if im not working, im busy playing games. Oddly enough, since I dropped Dead Island 2 and signed up for Game Pass last night, I will be playing Atomic Heart later today so when I post my impressions of the game, I will let @Sircaw you know. :)

• Shake
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Serious question, if gamepass doesnt take off, and it isnt, WHERE do Microsoft go from here?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Well there have been massive layoffs in marketing at Xbox, so....
Yep, you can see the moment that their paid astroturfing campaign stopped. And then the CMA documents showing that gamepass cannibalized sales completely killed any mention of it as some holy product on forums.

Reactions: arvfab

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
it can be the case that in near future, they gonna walk out of gamepass, so they aren't pushing gamepass nonsense any more, to die it down.
gamepass would have killed all gaming, all companies except m$. it is like Death Star - planet killer, the same as gamepass, gaming killer.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
20 million Halo players… LOLs. Imaging believing MS’ pr bullshit.

Now down to 20,000 a day total…. At best

Excellent strategy that gamespass. There’s your proof :ROFLMAO:

7B8074EF-A9A6-49EA-9F0B-EA2FC3575CEC.jpeg

Getting beat by Halo that actually needs you to buy it.

• haha
Reactions: voke and Nhomnhom

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
A lot of the lies about Game Pass have been refuted over the last while. It turns out it wasn't getting the number of subscribers we were being led to believe. Phil publicly stated it reached a saturation point on consoles and is not expected to gain much traction beyond what it has now (15%, I think it was). Then there was all the bullshit about how it helps sell more games and is the best thing ever for developers - then it came out that Game Pass cannibalizes sales and developers have stepped forward to complain about how Game Pass hurt their game sales. Finally, we've also seen the calibre of day one first-party releases on Game Pass over the years - sure, there's been a few successes but they're overshadowed by the big releases which were not as good as expected (eg. Halo Infinite, the upcoming Redfall, etc.).

There's probably more, but now that MS is no longer able to keep lying about Game Pass - their fans can't either. I'm personally enjoying the silence because being told 'Game Pass is the future' by some of the most gullible and disingenuous people around was getting very, very tired.

11 Feb 2023
Gamepass has led to the situation wherein the biggest Xbox fans i.e. those who only have an Xbox/only buy third party games on Xbox are content with not buying any games and waiting for them to drop on gamepass. I would really like to know the sales splits of a hit game like Hogwarts Legacy to get confirmation of this change in the buying habits of Xbots. Third parties should think long and hard about releasing any new game on Xbox, unless they get that gamepass bag.