Today marks the 400th day since Xbox last shared Game Pass subscribers count

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Never said they're the same. You should read more attentively. In fact, I explicitly mentioned that MS has said that Game Pass is growing. But at the same time, GP has also been missing internal targets.

For all we know, Game Pass may have decreased in subscribers number,

"For all we know the subs may have decreased even though as of the latest report last quarter, it actually had double digit growth"

clever-stare.gif

Hey you can bring all of your extreme takes here that will get you banned elsewhere, you got an audience for that here at least 🤭

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They've been in a dropping pattern with FYQ3 being the only slight uptick in the last 5 quarters. One expects numbers to rise after a massive revamp, not drop. Wouldn't you agree ?

And if you go back to FY21 Q1 they are up .1 million. How is this relevant? You have a market slump caused by post-covid lift + revamp to their pricing and offers, as you pointed out, two things that can cause a shakedown in their subscription numbers. I wouldn't necessarily say that I expected them to have a substantial increase in revenue, certainly not ~20%. You are also trying to compare a paid service that best case costs $59.99 / year, and worst case costs $119.99, to a paid service you can get for FREE with a pack of crisps.

It's certainly a win to get more bookings with fewer clients, and now that the market is recovering after the production shortages, those numbers will recuperate quickly and may even pass the 50M mark.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
\It's certainly a win to get more bookings with fewer clients, and now that the market is recovering after the production shortages, those numbers will recuperate quickly and may even pass the 50M mark

Sure, no sweat off my back. I'm a subscriber to both companies models so I've vested interest in seeing it grow, whether it's PS+ or Game Pass getting double digit growth each earnings report.

But this specific topic is made with disingenuous intent. 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 417

I'm sorry, can someone show me where Jim Ryan said the future of playstation is PS+? Or where Sony marketed PS+ as the best way to play, on the most consoles? Or where Jim Ryan lied about boosted sales on PS+?

No?

So we are comparing two different strategies. Ps+ is a complimentary service and additional revenue stream to the traditional strategy of PlayStation. Gamepass is integral to the strategy of Xbox and its main revenue stream.

If a main revenue stream decreases, it has more weighting and impact than a supportive revenue stream.

OP
OP
Heisenberg007

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
"For all we know the subs may have decreased even though as of the latest report last quarter, it actually had double digit growth"
And? Seriously, what happened to your comprehension skills all of a sudden?

1) Do you not see the word "may" in here?
2) The double-digit growth is not about the number of Game Pass subscribers. MS never mentioned anything about it. That's why I mentioned that it could be about either the # of subscribers or the ARPU. But we don't know because MS hides those numbers.
Hey you can bring all of your extreme takes here that will get you banned elsewhere, you got an audience for that here at least 🤭
Yes, the victim complex is back. If you have so many complaints about this forum, why are you here?

D

Deleted member 417

Don't take the bait. He is a classic Gaf poster. They draw you in with bait and then report you to mods.

He is no different than senjitsusage, maidenSoyage, bad burger or nobody important.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Don't take the bait. He is a classic Gaf poster. They draw you in with bait and then report you to mods.

He is no different than senjitsusage, maidenSoyage, bad burger or nobody important.
He is different from Maiden Soyage. He doesn’t constantly talk about how high he is, or when he’s going to get high next.

D

Deleted member 417

If MS get any chunk of ABK you know we will hear about the explosion of gamepass users.

"Gamepass now has 250 million users thanks to our great friends on mobile playing such high quality titles as Candy crush, Candy crush Soda and Angry birds. Truly, it has never been a better time to be an xbox gamer and we can't wait until e3 to share more games coming to gamepass. We will leave you with this trailer..."

*Mobile Phone Gamepass World Exclusive*
Roll trailer for Candy Crush Halo

ARCANE

21 Jun 2022
If MS get any chunk of ABK you know we will hear about the explosion of gamepass users.

"Gamepass now has 250 million users thanks to our great friends on mobile playing such high quality titles as Candy crush, Candy crush Soda and Angry birds. Truly, it has never been a better time to be an xbox gamer and we can't wait until e3 to share more games coming to gamepass. We will leave you with this trailer..."

*Mobile Phone Gamepass World Exclusive*
Roll trailer for Candy Crush Halo
XBOTS will say Microsoft is crushing it if they did that

D

Deleted member 417

XBOTS will say Microsoft is crushing it if they did that
That's why MS want those sweet ABK player numbers. It doesn't matter if they play on xbox, pc, mobile or on a smart-fridge. They want that MAU numbers to please Microsoft share holders.

• Informative
Reactions: EN250

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They've been in a dropping pattern with FYQ3 being the only slight uptick in the last 5 quarters. One expects numbers to rise after a massive revamp, not drop. Wouldn't you agree ?

NY8QgVL.png
This is the key difference. PS+ is just a small part of Sony's offerings and their entire strategy doesn't revolve around it, unlike MS and GamePass.

Sony is selling record numbers of consoles and large amounts of actual full priced software. PS+ is just a bonus. It went down a little? They don't care because they are, again, setting records for their products.

If GamePass isn't hitting target numbers it's a massive fail for MS because it's the one thing they are shooting for and they've put all their eggs in that one basket.

I know you know this though. And this is why you annoy people. You're not an "Xbox fan" you act like paid PR. As someone who was an ACTUAL Xbox fan at one point I just don't see how their current actions or performance are defensible in any way.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
PS Plus is losing subs by the millions my friend, not game pass.

Gained subs last fiscal quarter like @Dodkrake said, and set record revenue. To the point where at least Sony are willing to share their services revenue.

Guess who isn't, despite pushing subscriptions as the future of the industry? Even Nintendo shares their services revenue. NINTENDO!!

-----------

Anyway to the main point of the thread...

It's no wonder they don't share the Game Pass numbers. You've done a lot of looking into Game Pass revenue over the year and I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers are within an accurate range. Similar to when we were trying to figure out Xbox Series sold-through as of end of 2022; looks like Brad Smith basically confirmed our own extrapolative speculation (either that or he's lying to regulators by downplaying Xbox market share globally).

Game Pass numbers, I'm guessing they are sub-25 million. Maybe not too much lower, but closer to 20 million than 25 million. Just like with the console sales numbers, what's in the closet will eventually come out. The truth will at some point be revealed or confirmed. And if one was right in figuring out Xbox console sales numbers, chances are they're right about the Game Pass numbers, too.

So we might need to throw two parties 😁

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Didnt they post like 120million users or something when something was down by 13% a few weeks back?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: EN250

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Gained subs last fiscal quarter like @Dodkrake said, and set record revenue. To the point where at least Sony are willing to share their services revenue.

Guess who isn't, despite pushing subscriptions as the future of the industry? Even Nintendo shares their services revenue. NINTENDO!!

-----------

Anyway to the main point of the thread...

It's no wonder they don't share the Game Pass numbers. You've done a lot of looking into Game Pass revenue over the year and I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers are within an accurate range. Similar to when we were trying to figure out Xbox Series sold-through as of end of 2022; looks like Brad Smith basically confirmed our own extrapolative speculation (either that or he's lying to regulators by downplaying Xbox market share globally).

Game Pass numbers, I'm guessing they are sub-25 million. Maybe not too much lower, but closer to 20 million than 25 million. Just like with the console sales numbers, what's in the closet will eventually come out. The truth will at some point be revealed or confirmed. And if one was right in figuring out Xbox console sales numbers, chances are they're right about the Game Pass numbers, too.

So we might need to throw two parties 😁

We all know why they don’t share numbers. Most intelligent people will

They were all about sharing numbers back in the 360 days… When it doesnt look as good they wont talk about it

• fire
Reactions: Hezekiah and EN250
D

Deleted member 417

I'm starting to wonder if the Gamepass numbers are calculated based on consoles that have downloaded/used gamepass. For example, my brother pays for gamepass but he shares it with me by setting my console to his main console. We both have access to gamepass, even though only 1 sub is being paid (£1 upgrade deal for 3 years lol).

Does that mean MS count this scenario as two gamepass subs, or one?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'm starting to wonder if the Gamepass numbers are calculated based on consoles that have downloaded/used gamepass. For example, my brother pays for gamepass but he shares it with me by setting my console to his main console. We both have access to gamepass, even though only 1 sub is being paid (£1 upgrade deal for 3 years lol).

Does that mean MS count this scenario as two gamepass subs, or one?
The thing there is, with so many free or $0.99 a month promos, and all the assholes who exploit various tricks to avoid paying full price for their beloved Game Pass, it’s almost irrelevant, as it seems almost nobody is actually paying full price for Game Pass.

The subscriber count would only highlight how unprofitable Game Pass is.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The thing there is, with so many free or $0.99 a month promos, and all the assholes who exploit various tricks to avoid paying full price for their beloved Game Pass, it’s almost irrelevant, as it seems almost nobody is actually paying full price for Game Pass.

The subscriber count would only highlight how unprofitable Game Pass is.

Let's not forget that gamepass adjacent revenue (mtx, etc) is being counted towards gamepass revenue iirc