Tom Warren: gonna be worth tuning into the Xbox Tokyo game show stream next week

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
Xboxs TGS show will unironically be better than Sonys's state of remasters and GAAS show.
It will be the same games they show for 3+ years, all going to PlayStation anyway.

Then people will astroturf it to be the best showcase ever (As if that matters for anything).

In the end, it will not do anything for Xbox (like every time they show something), not move games/consoles/subscriptions, and we are back at square one.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
FFX is probably in my top 5 of JRPGs

Chrono Trigger
FF7
Persona 5
FFX
Arc The Lad

I definitely didn't love FF12, but the rot definitely starts with FF13. Though you could argue it started with FFX-2.

Nomura's increased influence on the franchise and the pushing out of creative leadership across Square. The unfortunate merger of Square and Enix, removing the biggest JRPG rivalry between the big two. All of which resulted in a lack of variety and quality among RPGs and that increased focus on FF, DQ, and KH...

Could you imagine if Square Enix had put resources towards Star Ocean, Mana, Xenogears (no Xenoblade), Chrono, Parasite Eve, Soul Blazer, Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story...

Instead of making Final Fantasy into an action game, they built up Kingdom Hearts, Mana, and Star Ocean to the same level that Nintendo built up Zelda...

We're in the wrong timeline.

Reactions: Dabaus

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
XIII 3 are downright terrible.
No
Lightning Returns is the best of the trilogy
It's basically JRPG Majora's Mask
I thought it was really cool needing to be in different places at different times of day in order to take on certain quests, and some of the city design helped make that more challenging by having gates that shut at night.
Lightning yelling
"God is dead!" during the final boss fights where she's literally fighting God was really cool

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I could see FF16 not coming to Xbox solely from the fact it would have to launch on the series s & given PS5 & PC run the game kinda sus. I don’t see how FF16 would run on series s unless it was like 540p w a sus 30fps performance likely hitting 20. Either way that game & FF7 would be fundamentally different games cause of the ssd & all of the effects on the screen

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I could see FF16 not coming to Xbox solely from the fact it would have to launch on the series s & given PS5 & PC run the game kinda sus. I don’t see how FF16 would run on series s unless it was like 540p w a sus 30fps performance likely hitting 20. Either way that game & FF7 would be fundamentally different games cause of the ssd & all of the effects on the screen

Yeah, it's a problem.

Microsoft may have to drop the Series mandate before GTA6 releases... it'll be a shit storm either way.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
FFX is probably in my top 5 of JRPGs

Chrono Trigger
FF7
Persona 5
FFX
Arc The Lad

I definitely didn't love FF12, but the rot definitely starts with FF13. Though you could argue it started with FFX-2.

Nomura's increased influence on the franchise and the pushing out of creative leadership across Square. The unfortunate merger of Square and Enix, removing the biggest JRPG rivalry between the big two. All of which resulted in a lack of variety and quality among RPGs and that increased focus on FF, DQ, and KH...

Could you imagine if Square Enix had put resources towards Star Ocean, Mana, Xenogears (no Xenoblade), Chrono, Parasite Eve, Soul Blazer, Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story...

Instead of making Final Fantasy into an action game, they built up Kingdom Hearts, Mana, and Star Ocean to the same level that Nintendo built up Zelda...

We're in the wrong timeline.
Nomura gets a bad wrap, but he has nothing to do with squares bad decisions. Both 10-2 and 13 are all on Toriyama, not Nomura. While all of the bad decisions were happening Nomura was working on Kingdom hearts 2 and trying to work on versus 13. He also was the one pushing to keep FF7 Remake as close to the original as possible.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon