Tom Warren "most ppl at Xbox don't know the full details of what Microsoft will discuss next week 1st-party games.Tom Henderson also agrees/comments.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I was just thinking how annoying it is that we've had to constantly hear about what Xbox and MS are doing this gen because of some BS they're involved in and their army of media shills who never shut up on social media.
Yes and it was mostly bs.

Reactions: flaccidsnake
24 Jun 2022
You are talking about same company who did a complete 180 with XB1 overnight. You had to update the system to bypass the initial DRM code. Their whole strategy with system went out with window due to backlash.

That wasn't Microsoft; it was the Xbox division because the Xbox division was provided autonomy to make that call. This situation sounds like the Xbox division has been stripped of its autonomy. That alone is a significant difference.

Like I was saying last night, these rumors are likely about 100% true. They came frome somewhere up in the ranks, gained traction, and weren't debunked by Phil Spencer's tweet when he has a history of directly debunking fake rumors about Xbox.

What I am in the mindset of, is that people expecting Microsoft to bluntly confirm everything with the rumors next week are going to be disappointed. Not because those things aren't happening, but because Microsoft can get away with gradually confirming aspects of the rumors since they will be implemented in piecemeal over a period of time (12-18 months, maybe even as long as 24 months for certain things like announcement of OEM Xbox devices).

I'm expecting them to clarify the HiFi Rush & Sea of Thieves ports only, and frame the former as a "legacy" title while specifying a strategy for bringing legacy content to non-Xbox consoles for visibility of the brand, then segway to confirming Sea of Thieves for other consoles. Then they'll say something like expansion of legacy content to other platforms will be on a case-by-case basis, to highlight the variety of offerings on Xbox systems, including new experiences only* on platforms where Game Pass exists.

* = at least for some duration of time, as a timed exclusive console-wise. But Microsoft 100% won't refer to these as timed exclusive; they'll just refer to these as "legacy titles" once they're ready to be ported to PlayStation & Nintendo systems. And over time, the window of porting will shrink until probably 2 years from now, they'll be Day 1 across Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo/PC/mobile platforms.

Then if they actually are planning a Series X refresh, they might talk about it and then vaguely hint at "continuing design innovations with future generational Xbox devices", that way the diehards can interpret it as new 10th-gen Xbox consoles coming like usual and deep in development, even if in reality it means future gaming-optimized PC NUC/laptop/tablet etc Xbox-branded hardware developed around a standardized customizable spec usable by Microsoft and licensing OEMs alongside a customizable Xbox UI frontend, running Windows and priced to compete with other PC gaming devices rather than larger-volume distribution video game consoles.

The recent backtracking, IMHO, is basically a way of calming down the diehards because I'm expecting the messaging of the plans to the public will avoid most of the rumors. HOWEVER, I think MS are going to communicate a lot more concisely with 3P devs/pubs, retailers etc. but place them under NDAs to not share details with the general public (us).

Basically, Microsoft are going to handle public-facing optics/communication of these plans (related to the rumors, which again I think are more or less 100% happening), and implementation of the plans, the way most subscription services gradually price-creep over a period of months/years. By the time all the rumors are proven true, there won't be any outrage and it'll have been a gradual, mostly resistance-free transition from the old business model to the new business model. Only a few of us will notice or probably even care.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The people who were managers and VPs at Activision+Bethesda should effectively replace Phil Spencer. MS likes to keep their own people in the top positions, so maybe he isn't fired. But I think there will be a new leadership committee which takes it's orders from the top rather than Phil.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That wasn't Microsoft; it was the Xbox division because the Xbox division was provided autonomy to make that call. This situation sounds like the Xbox division has been stripped of its autonomy. That alone is a significant difference.

Like I was saying last night, these rumors are likely about 100% true. They came frome somewhere up in the ranks, gained traction, and weren't debunked by Phil Spencer's tweet when he has a history of directly debunking fake rumors about Xbox.

What I am in the mindset of, is that people expecting Microsoft to bluntly confirm everything with the rumors next week are going to be disappointed. Not because those things aren't happening, but because Microsoft can get away with gradually confirming aspects of the rumors since they will be implemented in piecemeal over a period of time (12-18 months, maybe even as long as 24 months for certain things like announcement of OEM Xbox devices).

I'm expecting them to clarify the HiFi Rush & Sea of Thieves ports only, and frame the former as a "legacy" title while specifying a strategy for bringing legacy content to non-Xbox consoles for visibility of the brand, then segway to confirming Sea of Thieves for other consoles. Then they'll say something like expansion of legacy content to other platforms will be on a case-by-case basis, to highlight the variety of offerings on Xbox systems, including new experiences only* on platforms where Game Pass exists.

* = at least for some duration of time, as a timed exclusive console-wise. But Microsoft 100% won't refer to these as timed exclusive; they'll just refer to these as "legacy titles" once they're ready to be ported to PlayStation & Nintendo systems. And over time, the window of porting will shrink until probably 2 years from now, they'll be Day 1 across Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo/PC/mobile platforms.

Then if they actually are planning a Series X refresh, they might talk about it and then vaguely hint at "continuing design innovations with future generational Xbox devices", that way the diehards can interpret it as new 10th-gen Xbox consoles coming like usual and deep in development, even if in reality it means future gaming-optimized PC NUC/laptop/tablet etc Xbox-branded hardware developed around a standardized customizable spec usable by Microsoft and licensing OEMs alongside a customizable Xbox UI frontend, running Windows and priced to compete with other PC gaming devices rather than larger-volume distribution video game consoles.

The recent backtracking, IMHO, is basically a way of calming down the diehards because I'm expecting the messaging of the plans to the public will avoid most of the rumors. HOWEVER, I think MS are going to communicate a lot more concisely with 3P devs/pubs, retailers etc. but place them under NDAs to not share details with the general public (us).

Basically, Microsoft are going to handle public-facing optics/communication of these plans (related to the rumors, which again I think are more or less 100% happening), and implementation of the plans, the way most subscription services gradually price-creep over a period of months/years. By the time all the rumors are proven true, there won't be any outrage and it'll have been a gradual, mostly resistance-free transition from the old business model to the new business model. Only a few of us will notice or probably even care.
That for many is irrelevant on how they drip feed the news because once you open the can of worms and mention the first exclusive going multiplat, it's over. We all know everything was true.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I could see MS announcing things in a way that would make it seem like their zealots have won, however infuriating that would be.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Think he's just damage controlling. Unless that Sneaker guys says otherwise, it's on. This guy got spooked for some reason. Probably threatened by either MS themselves or some zealots.
Who knows, all. All this shit is guesses at this point although we do know some are going third party.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
He's been backpedaling for a while now. Tom Warren, another guy who we know has contacts at Microsoft, says no one at Xbox aside from maybe some really high-level people know what will happen next week. Not surprising era wants MS to keep on so that they can continue their crusade against all things PlayStation.

Also, is this a recent post or is it a day or two old?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Just saw that Tom Henderson says that he spoke to some Xbox people and they say Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush are the only things set in stone to be ported so far. Then again, Tom Warren says very few people know the full extent of their plans and it would be weird to have a whole business meeting just for that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Just saw that Tom Henderson says that he spoke to some Xbox people and they say Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush are the only things set in stone to be ported so far. Then again, Tom Warren says very few people know the full extent of their plans.
Yeah, there is a thread that says "no one knows shit except the close, internal ppl"

Reactions: PS_ROCKS