Totoki PS President wants to improve margins with releases outside console.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Yeah thts why I had put a 😂 sensationalism at its best. With that said this is definitely making them release a pro to revitalize sales.

The CEO is all about cutting costs and finding more revenue even if it means diluting the brand. He sounds more like a typical American CEO. Take a look at Nintendo and Apple when it comes to loyal customers. That’s what PS has and stands to lose.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The CEO is all about cutting costs and finding more revenue even if it means diluting the brand. He sounds more like a typical American CEO. Take a look at Nintendo and Apple when it comes to loyal customers. That’s what PS has and stands to lose.
OH I know which we all had same reservations with Jim. They are indeed treading on dangerous waters.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and Entropi

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
BTW I forget to say.
Only increasing profit margins won’t fix the divergence between revenue and profit… it will only help to fix.

They need to find where it was bleeding and cut or rethink it because it was probably not a good strategy.
They can start with PSVR2... A money pit

• thinking_hard
Reactions: VillaiN and ethomaz

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
there's almost nothing exclusive to steam, yet people are flocking to it. exclusives are a shitty way to entice people to your ecosystem. the best way to entice people to your ecosystem is by having the best ecosystem.
Wrong. All recent Valve games are exclusives to Steam

As little as Valve dabbled in consoles in the past they don't even bother now for over ten years. They realised the importance of exclusives. Half Life Alyx, DOTA 2, Counterstrike 2 have all been exclusives to Steam

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Wrong. All recent Valve games are exclusives to Steam

As little as Valve dabbled in consoles in the past they don't even bother now for over ten years. They realised the importance of exclusives. Half Life Alyx, DOTA 2, Counterstrike 2 have all been exclusives to Steam

I'm not saying you're wrong here, but it is not comparable to Playstation Studios. If these games didn't exist, it wouldn't change Steam's position one bit. And I'd be happy to see them come to Playstation.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm hopping so much that Nintendo has a trick up their sleeve when it comes to hardware this time. If we could get at least above Series S performance in one SKU things would get a lot more interesting as Nintendo would then get a "decent" port of every third-party game.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm asking you, what did he do that we should praise or give him credit for?

Things I know he did: went all in on the PC port initiative, pivoted to GaaS, bought budgie, was fine with terrible communication, was fine with a PlayStation game releasing day one on Gamepass (MLB), was fine with a year where they only released Spider-man 2, was fine with a year where they won't have a single big release, etc.

He supposedly stopped the day and date PC ports that Hermen wanted.
Bungie deal was probably a move to stop MS buying them, supposedly they wanted to buy Bungie.

Not supporting the lack of others stuff that happened. But maybe all the PC ports are what Sony CEO’s want.

Reactions: Diah

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He supposedly stopped the day and date PC ports that Hermen wanted.
Bungie deal was probably a move to stop MS buying them, supposedly they wanted to buy Bungie.

Not supporting the lack of others stuff that happened. But maybe all the PC ports are what Sony CEO’s want.
He is the one that put Hulst there ins the first place and their last games was day and date with PC.

There is no evidence that MS was going to acquire Bungie, they were already onwed by MS in the past and fought to get out, seems like made up stuff.

So, there is clearly pretty much no reason to praise Jim Ryan for anything. His best achievement in my opinion was balancing PS+ in a way where it could compete with Gamepass without destroying PlayStation.

Reactions: Diah

Jivesh1995

20 Jun 2023
South Africa
brotaku.net
I'm still willing to bet that we don't see day/date releases for the next 3-4 years. Live-service games sure. SP won't though.

If Sony want higher margins they should invest in Asia and actually develop their IPs.

Reactions: Kokoloko

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
"However, Sony has revised its PS5 sales forecast for the current financial year down, from its lofty target of 25 million consoles sold to 21 million. This despite a year-on-year increase in PS5 sales for the holiday 2023 quarter, from 7.1 million sold to 8.2 million."

So they expect to miss their sales target by about 4 million units all the while the competition is in free fall and can't move units at all. And the takeaway from that is: more multi-platform for higher margins? How about turning those Series owners and Xbox One refugee's into PlayStation owners? They suddenly didn't disappear from the gaming space - it's a zero sum equation always - so who's getting them in droves? Nintendo? PC?

How about selling 20-30m more consoles than PS4? "Direct competitor" Xbox is extremely weak and on the way out? What's the hold up?

What's holding the rocket trajectory? Maybe the so called non-competitor platforms? PC/Nintendo etc....? Maybe they do compete? Maybe it's a zero sum competition and not rainbows and ponies?

I want to say it's sad but this trainwreck in the making is just too early in the making for the sort of clowning it deserves. It took Xbox, with MS coffers, over a decade + for the failure to fully materialize into a coherent and undeniable catastrophe. It will definitely take that and longer for the PlayStation ship to fully come to that state, assuming no course corrections mid way for life-extensions. I will say the tone of the corporate slaves who simp for Sony is very temperate based on these news. What's the problem? The news don't tuck nicely into a narrative? Of course. That's what happens when your arguments lack a logical base, and are merely based on numbers on a spreadsheet aka the moment the numbers don't support the "narrative" you're left naked - too predictable, too simplistic, for simplistic brains.

You can't fix stupid. Knowing how corporate slaves behave, this is just a bump in the "narrative" road, whose only inconvenience is time, until the next news cycle. After all, it's not about intellectually honest discussion. Never was.

This industry has seen poor corporate leadership get it wrong time and again - sinking good things. Nintendo has fucked up several times, Sega fucked up royally and beyond repair, Sony mildly fucked up, and MS with Xbox has royally fucked up (the trainwreck has been fascinating to watch for such a "prestigious company"). Bottomline: The "super intelligent" execs who should know what they're doing, "are experts by their job title", and get paid to perform don't always know what the fuck they're doing and get the market wrong all the fucking time - that is the only stone cold hard fact. Won't stop corporate simps from appealing to authority in their arguments and being unoriginal bots online....

Stay nail biting for a day.... as a slave should.

🤮🤮🤮

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I'm still willing to bet that we don't see day/date releases for the next 3-4 years. Live-service games sure. SP won't though.

If Sony want higher margins they should invest in Asia and actually develop their IPs.

Investing in Asia includes investing in PC. There's already a mass install base for PC that would be impossible for PS5 to replicate. Stellar Blade should be day and date if only to reach Chinese gamers.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
i told you day and date pc ports are coming. It makes sense if they want that bag.
It really doesn't. Exclusives are designed to sell hardware. That's why gaas is the new thing. Cause the game becomes the platform and to keep alive you need to monetise. Simple as that. You wouldn't get free content from Sony games if they were 3rdbparty and that's a fact