Totoki PS President wants to improve margins with releases outside console.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Ya’ll wanted Jim Ryan gone, now have at it. Lol Like the saying says, “be careful what,you wish for”. It can always be worse.

I told everyone on this forum
Jim got shit for stuff other ceo decide before him. Shawn layden literally said they were intentions to port games to other platforms. But everyone blame on jim

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
None of those are big PS titles. Im fine with the Gaas business, never complained about it and welcomed Factions 2.
Im complaining about the likes of God of War, Spiderman, Horizon, TLOU, Uncharted going to PC etc.

I also believe Everybody’s gone to Rapture is owned by the developers themselves, the Chinese Room. It was being developed before Sony helped them
Everybody's Gone to the Rapure is a Sony IP published by Sony in both PS and PC.

It was the last one -or one of the last ones- of the NA 2nd party titles published with the NA 2nd party publishing team were still inside Sony Santa Monica, before -as they also did before in EU and latter in Japan- that NA 2nd party publishing XDEV team branched out of the local gamedev studio to have their own XDEV office.

Maybe some years after publishing them Sony gave them permission to port it somewhere else as did with other 2nd party games like Deah Stranding or the ThatGameCompany or Quantic Dream titles, but in this case Sony published it on Steam and continues being the publisher there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I told everyone on this forum
Jim got shit for stuff other ceo decide before him. Shawn layden literally said they were intentions to port games to other platforms. But everyone blame on jim
What good has Jim Ryan done? If anything Jim Ryan has been praised way too much for stuff he has nothing to do with.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yes. It released after. You literally proving my point. Same as everything else. Helldivers is not the best or more popular playstatiom game releasing on pc. Day and date. I'm just not buying playstation ever Literally

i'm not talking about the pc port. i'm just saying the high quality of the game did not translate to massive success, social media buzz, etc. if it had launched day and date on PC, it would probably would have.

it doesn't matter if you buy a playstation or not. if they put their games out on pc and you buy them, you've given sony money. that's a win for them. you're not fucking over playstation by buying their games. they want you to buy them.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Everybody's Gone to the Rapure is a Sony IP published by Sony in both PS and PC.

It was the last one -or one of the last ones- of the NA 2nd party titles published with the NA 2nd party publishing team were still inside Sony Santa Monica, before -as they also did before in EU and latter in Japan- that NA 2nd party publishing XDEV team branched out of the local gamedev studio to have their own XDEV office.
I did love when Santa Monica had all those smaller games with other studios. Wish they still did that.
Everybody’s gone to Rapture was good. Are you sure Sony owns the IP now?

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
i'm not talking about the pc port. i'm just saying the high quality of the game did not translate to massive success, social media buzz, etc. if it had launched day and date on PC, it would probably would have.

it doesn't matter if you buy a playstation or not. if they put their games out on pc and you buy them, you've given sony money. that's a win for them. you're not fucking over playstation by buying their games. they want you to buy them.
I'm not boycotting lol
I'm just saying there is absolutely no reason to get a ps if you own a PC.

Reactions: Diah

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
So he did nothing? He was just sitting there?
I'm asking you, what did he do that we should praise or give him credit for?

Things I know he did: went all in on the PC port initiative, pivoted to GaaS, bought budgie, was fine with terrible communication, was fine with a PlayStation game releasing day one on Gamepass (MLB), was fine with a year where they only released Spider-man 2, was fine with a year where they won't have a single big release, etc.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

You buy on PS store: You're tied to that ecosystem, and pay retailer fees (which are not 30%)
You buy on steam: You're not tied to that ecosystem, and pay retailer fees (which are 30%)

A child could understand that option 1 means that long term you will make more money. You keep ignoring that because you like to troll.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm not boycotting lol
I'm just saying there is absolutely no reason to get a ps if you own a PC.
That opinion I respect if thts how you feel and given game tastes are subjective. My take is most console gamers will not move to PC because it's still foreign to most and not as easily accessible and no I'm not talking about playing Candy Crush on a laptop or Angry Birds 😂

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is easy to understand.

Game division increase revenue in 23% but decreased profits in 13%.
That is totally the opposite of what you aim when you increase revenue.

They basically wasted profit money to have that increase in revenue.
It was better not had to increased the revenue at all if you end up having less profit.

That is why they need to see what happened and yes the most common action is to increase profit margins.
Because something is not right.
You are increasing revenue at the cost of lower profit... that is an abomination to any business in any place in this universe.

There is a big elephant in the Sony executives room right now.
The results are not good at all.

They need to understand where the profit gone because they had a 23% increase in revenue.... nobody expect a linear scale where profit grows together with revenue but at least some increase in profit is expected... like 10-15%.

If not you are better staying in the past position without increase revenue.

Reactions: Diah and Infinity
24 Jun 2022
Welp, we might be seeing the beginning of the end for PlayStation consoles, but I guess that depends on the specific actions taken in the context of his words.

The ambiguity is not necessary though, it just lets bad faith actors and clickbait-chasing media to try spinning narratives that may or may not happen.

Let's just hope that 10 or even 5 years from now SIE won't need to be hosting their own "Business Update" podcast.

Of course the usual suspects will look at this and continue to push their agenda of day 1 releases on PC when that’s simply not happening for single player games.

Why would PlayStation harm its core business to help a competitor (Steam)?

Live service day 1 yes, actually live service should be day 1 on PC-PlayStation-Mobile if possible.

It's not up to us to clarify that. Such a task falls into Sony's hands. Their ambiguity, intentional or not, allows those "usual suspects" to spin their narratives.

If a company does nothing to shut that type of stuff down, then that's on them. We're not here to rebuttal on their behalf.

What killed Xbox was not releasing day one on pc lol

Not in isolation, but that did play a big part in Xbox's identity crisis and declining demand among hardcore & core gaming enthusiasts. Which in turn has lowered its demand among mainstream and casual gamers.

PlayStation may have a much bigger customer base but it's not immune to the same declines console-side if they become more aggressive with that strategy. Their 'floor' would just be higher than Xbox's, that's all.

This multiplatform strategy, if they get more aggressive with it, is a lazy way out of solving core problems with budget increases, same with Microsoft. It might get the "pro-consumer" gawkers excited but it's also a means of kicking the can down the road. Looking into ways to cut back on budget bloat creep, and instill more desirability at sustained prices would be much better ways to solve the problems. And of course, adding more to PlayStation consoles to compete even better with markets like PC, to entice more of those users to consider buying a PlayStation.

Again we'll see what Sony's strategy is with their multiplat plans; there IS a right way to do it, but there's also a very wrong way and one look at Xbox should give you all the evidence as to why there's a very wrong way.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Don't know. So why he takes credit for playstation shitty decisions? Keep that consistent across the board
Because they were clearly made under him? Because he was the one presenting them and taking credit for them?

It was better not had to increased the revenue at all if you end up having less profit.

That is why they need to see what happened and yes the most common action is to increase profit margins.
You are increasing revenue at the cost of lower profit... that is an abomination to any business in any place in this universe.

They need to understand where the profit gone because they had a 23% increase in revenue.... nobody expect a linear scale where profit grows together with revenue but at least some increase in profit is expected... like 10-15%.
They should try to release more games instead of working on them for years in secret just to then cancel them.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Let's just say that TLOU Online probably cost them north of $200M, and that's one live service game that took them nowhere. Now multiply that by 4 or 5.

Reactions: Diah and ethomaz
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Ahhhhh some of the takes remind me of the PS3 era 👀😊 when Sony was in the red in perpetuity which BTW is not the case now as they've been posting great profit and revenue for years.