Turns out Final Fantasy XVI is filled with people of color. Why is the media not talking about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
ok, but the things he's describing sound like reality. It sounds like marx had the right of it. People with power work to preserve that power and status by oppressing those without. But "cultural marxism" as it would have it, by his description would be seeking to abolish a dominant race as a norm (e.g. "white"). If that were true then these cultural marxists would be celebrating that a non-white developer managed to create a truly epic story and game that "white" westerners did not.

The truth is these attack pieces aren't cultural marxism. They are people shouting for attention, using language they know to be able to garner controversy.
I’d say it’s the morally and intellectually inept just being unwitting pawns in the cultural war.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
As for why no one's talking about it, you know why they're not. It was always about finding ways to attack the game for its exclusivity and Square's relationship with Sony. Now that they're trying to shift the narrative to a "repaired" relationship with Xbox because Phil... finally relented on a policy he could have relented on at any time, we're gonna see less Square bashing for a bit.

At least until the next game that doesn't hit Xbox.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
You guys worry too much about a couple lunatics at Kotaku
if it was just kotaku, it would be fine but it’s hardly just them. There was a conscious effort to make the game look racist by the media, starting with disingenuous questions by IGN and it only got worse.
Now that the game is out and it has POC, even if not stereotypical black people, these same virtue signalers are nowhere to be found.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
The game has lots of non white characters, I’ll list a few ones to illustrate:
View attachment 1952

Hugo Kupka

View attachment 1953
L’ubor

View attachment 1954

Vívian

This is the most diverse cast the series has even had.
And a month later, nobody is talking about it.
Remember when we had over a year of articles calling the game racist?
Remember that shitty euro gamer (digital foundry) article saying irrelevant forum users would boycott the game?

Turns out not only major characters are people of color, there’s an entire nation of non whites in the game, Dalmekia.

And guess what? The same virtue signalers that spent more than a year crying about this are nowhere to be found. Instead, now their efforts are to downplay the game’s success and shit on it all the time.
Just needed to vent a little.
Lmao u r kidding right! They have no actual facial features different from the other characters that would signify an origin other than European with a tan.

24 Jun 2022
Arabs are white.

Some are. Some more are African. But from my understanding, most are of some Asian lineage.

I mean, "Middle East" kind of gives that away.

Anyway none of this particularly matters to the point at hand. There are obviously a few darker-skinned, non fair-skinned people in the game. L'ubor could practically pass for Yemeni for example.

The point is it dismantles a talking point that was used against the game to generate disdain and controversy, and take wind out of its sails before release. Mainly because it was used as a proxy against PlayStation for having a big exclusive launching that also happened to be a big 3P AAA Japanese game not launching on Xbox or even PC.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
OP's struggles with partisan coverage hidden behind mountains of BS is sad to see. Sony has the answer to most of this - boils down to money - everyone with a brain knows it. No triggered screaming by fanboys will change the current media dynamics - only money, and/or value added interactions (access etc). It's what it's. Moreover, however, if the only satisfaction for the likes of OP is a universal praise utopia for everything PlayStation, then being triggered is an incurable condition.

Reactions: Vertigo

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Hur durr “cope”.
They’re not white, doesn’t matter how hard you try to say so.
What r they? Because they don’t look middle eastern , African Asian or any other none European group. A proto typical ff white character with a tan isn’t a poc

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
You guys worry too much about a couple lunatics at Kotaku
Exactly....and Eurogamer, the company complaining about diversity while having an entirely white staff 🤦‍♂️ Let's please stop giving these people attention, no actual person of color cares about this nonsense as long as the game is great.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Some are. Some more are African. But from my understanding, most are of some Asian lineage.

I mean, "Middle East" kind of gives that away.

Anyway none of this particularly matters to the point at hand. There are obviously a few darker-skinned, non fair-skinned people in the game. L'ubor could practically pass for Yemeni for example.

The point is it dismantles a talking point that was used against the game to generate disdain and controversy, and take wind out of its sails before release. Mainly because it was used as a proxy against PlayStation for having a big exclusive launching that also happened to be a big 3P AAA Japanese game not launching on Xbox or even PC.
The term "middle east" is a bit loaded, and ultimately is just a British designation.

The talking point was dumb. It was created by self-hating white liberals. Using a character of Mediterranean descent to counter that point is dumb.

Indians are technically white too. They can get much darker and still be white.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Mediterraneans look like this. Does that make them not to be considered white? Do we accept these labels? I wouldn’t. More race drama to promote segregation and racism by so-called progressives. They love this shit.
I think that the old school white supremacists considered mostly the Anglo-Saxons as pure whites. Even the Catholics, Spaniards, Italians, Portuguese, and what not were not "white enough". Germans and Frenches were on a different layer as far as I understand, but this is not a topic I have "researched" in details.

So even they are much more inclusive these days.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Exactly....and Eurogamer, the company complaining about diversity while having an entirely white staff 🤦‍♂️ Let's please stop giving these people attention, no actual person of color cares about this nonsense as long as the game is great.
I don’t need a euro gamer article to know FF has a diversity problem as does the fantasy genre in general. Japan has always had an obsession with medieval Europe . 10 out of 10 modern isekai is just being transport to a medieval European world. It comes off as very lazy.

• haha
Reactions: Banana

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
What r they? Because they don’t look middle eastern , African Asian or any other none European group. A proto typical ff white character with a tan isn’t a poc

So what should we do for you middle aged white men? Make every Charecter black?

Would that satisfy your white guilt?

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
So what should we do for you middle aged white men? Make every Charecter black?

Would that satisfy your white guilt?
I’m I’m not middle age or white so I can’t speak for what middle age white men wabt. But idk how about having ppl from a region that’s supposed to be culturally and geographically be middle eastern actually be middle eastern. They didn’t even try to make the ppl sound different they all have British accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.