U.S. PS5 is now trending 5% above PS4, 87% ahead of PS3 time aligned units sold life-to-date |UP| 18.7 mil (Dec 2023) V. 17.4 mil (Dec 2016)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I Feel like nothing will beat the PS2's 155 million
The Switch can and might unless Nintendo kills it the way Sony massacred the PS4

Also the PS5 is never touching 130 million unless this generation goes on for 8+ years

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
The Switch can and might unless Nintendo kills it the way Sony massacred the PS4

Also the PS5 is never touching 130 million unless this generation goes on for 8+ years
the PS4 should've been made avaliable for 199 dollars in a 500GB version back in 2020, it would easily outsell the Series S since most games the casuals care about like FIFA and COD will release on PS4 for multiple years, Sony literally took PS4 out of shelves once the PS5 was out, such a dumb move

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
the PS4 should've been made avaliable for 199 dollars in a 500GB version back in 2020, it would easily outsell the Series S since most games the casuals care about like FIFA and COD will release on PS4 for multiple years, Sony literally took PS4 out of shelves once the PS5 was out, such a dumb move
Don't think they could have dropped it that low without going into the red but they should have dropped it to $249. They cut it down during the heights of Covid. This is when the switch went into overdrive.

The PS4 had a huge first 3 months in 2020 then it fell off a cliff as they started to focus on PS5. I understand why they did it... But the console had another 15+ million left in the tank.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Don't think they could have dropped it that low without going into the red but they should have dropped it to $249. They cut it down during the heights of Covid. This is when the switch went into overdrive.

The PS4 had a huge first 3 months in 2020 then it fell off a cliff as they started to focus on PS5. I understand why they did it... But the console had another 15+ million left in the tank.
the PS4 is very cheap to produce nowadays, it makes no sense that Sony is selling it for 300/350 when you can have a PS5 digital edition for 399, the ideal price would be 199 for a 500GB version and 249 for a 1TB version, but i would simply discountinue the 1TB version and sell only the 500GB for 199, it would be VERY smart and would grow PlayStation MAU immensily in third world countries like China, India, Brazil, Argentina and Turkey, it was a huge mistake, PS2 continued to sell because it was made very cheap and third world countries where things are way more expensive carried the sales through the years, it was sold til 2013, the year PS4 released, had 15 years of manufacturing.

Reactions: Plextorage

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
the PS4 is very cheap to produce nowadays, it makes no sense that Sony is selling it for 300/350 when you can have a PS5 digital edition for 399, the ideal price would be 199 for a 500GB version and 249 for a 1TB version, but i would simply discountinue the 1TB version and sell only the 500GB for 199, it would be VERY smart and would grow PlayStation MAU immensily in third world countries like China, India, Brazil, Argentina and Turkey, it was a huge mistake, PS2 continued to sell because it was made very cheap and third world countries where things are way more expensive carried the sales through the years, it was sold til 2013, the year PS4 released, had 15 years of manufacturing.
They didn't have a choice chip shortage and had to scale back PS4 production to free up factory resource for PS5. But they definitely messed up for sure.

They were also hoping to starve the market in order to accelerate PS5 adoption rate. Covid completely destroyed that though

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
PS5 might be able to, we have to wait and see the GTA 6 effect

The PS2 had GTA 3,VC,SA and the two stories games.

The PS2 is simply in a league of its own. It is still Sonys best console

I feel like unless there is a price cut it wont reach those numbers especially with the switch 2 coming this year

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think if the stock shortage didnt happen it could of got alot closer.

And if we got a few more bigger hits earlier and more often (GTA 6, Smaller GTA spin off, another GOW, a ND game, RDR3, Something like the Agent, MGS6 etc )

And for Japan (FF17, the next FF online, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, the return of Momotaro Dentetsu on PS, Taiko No Tatsujin, Persona 6. Kingdom Hearts, and Ghost of Tsushima 2 for both Japan and worldwide.

Then I think they would be alot closer or surpass PS2. PS2 had so many hits in the first 1-3 years. Not saying its possible, but if PS5 had all these titles in the first 3-4 years and no shortage it would be alot closer to PS2.

I could be totally wrong but I think sales would be even better. They are impressive already with the stock shortage

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I feel like unless there is a price cut it wont reach those numbers especially with the switch 2 coming this year

Correct, the price cut really makes a difference too.
And Switch/Switch 2 is much better competition than the Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Xbox put together

Reactions: Box and Diah

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I think if the stock shortage didnt happen it could of got alot closer.

And if we got a few more bigger hits earlier and more often (GTA 6, Smaller GTA spin off, another GOW, a ND game, RDR3, Something like the Agent, MGS6 etc )

And for Japan (FF17, the next FF online, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, the return of Momotaro Dentetsu on PS, Taiko No Tatsujin, Persona 6. Kingdom Hearts, and Ghost of Tsushima 2 for both Japan and worldwide.

Then I think they would be alot closer or surpass PS2. PS2 had so many hits in the first 1-3 years. Not saying its possible, but if PS5 had all these titles in the first 3-4 years and no shortage it would be alot closer to PS2.

I could be totally wrong but I think sales would be even better. They are impressive already with the stock shortage
Without the shortage they'd def be closer to 75 million now or even over that. Covid really destroyed their aggressive plan to transfer over the PS4 base at an alarming rate. I would have loved to see it unfold

We just might with the Switch 2 assuming they don't botch it

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Phil doesn't dictate what games are to be made. Like I said he does the business decisions. Halo contractors were a business decision and you can argue that decision hinders halo development. But he is not a game dev. Get that out your head. Phil just also canceled blizzard surviral game because it was in dev hell. Good business decision. Phil does not make video games and never will. But yes some of his business decisions does impact game dev.
You are deliberately misrepresenting what I have said and refusing to honestly answer my questions. I'm not going to continue to engage if you're going to engage in a dishonest manner.

Let's go full cirlce back to your original sarcastic comment to illustrate how you cannot construct a logical argument:

"Yes Phil is the reason Xbox games suck....The man that hasn't designed a single video game nor have any game dev experience", and contrast it with the "Halo contractors were a business decision and you can argue that decision hinders halo development" line.

So, Phil isn't the reason Xbox games suck because he has no design experience, he just makes business decisions that disrupt the product. Wow, all that sarcasm to defend Phil and now you'll openly admit he does have an impact on games, it's just "business" not "creative" so that's okay. Him having to balance that creative element would be a bridge too far, instead he should continue to make his business decisions in isolation of what devs want. That is truly the Xbox way. Hands off, continued failure. Amazing work Phil.

And I should say, maybe Phil should dictate games that are made considering the failure of several dev teams under his management.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
You are deliberately misrepresenting what I have said and refusing to honestly answer my questions. I'm not going to continue to engage if you're going to engage in a dishonest manner.

Let's go full cirlce back to your original sarcastic comment to illustrate how you cannot construct a logical argument:

"Yes Phil is the reason Xbox games suck....The man that hasn't designed a single video game nor have any game dev experience", and contrast it with the "Halo contractors were a business decision and you can argue that decision hinders halo development" line.

So, Phil isn't the reason Xbox games suck because he has no design experience, he just makes business decisions that disrupt the product. Wow, all that sarcasm to defend Phil and now you'll openly admit he does have an impact on games, it's just "business" not "creative" so that's okay. Him having to balance that creative element would be a bridge too far, instead he should continue to make his business decisions in isolation of what devs want. That is truly the Xbox way. Hands off, continued failure. Amazing work Phil.

And I should say, maybe Phil should dictate games that are made considering the failure of several dev teams under his management.
halo infinite is just 1 example. Yes i concede the point that some of his business decisions effect game development. Xbox got a lot of games cooking.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Without the shortage they'd def be closer to 75 million now or even over that. Covid really destroyed their aggressive plan to transfer over the PS4 base at an alarming rate. I would have loved to see it unfold

We just might with the Switch 2 assuming they don't botch it
Do you believe PS6 will have the start that the PS5 couldn’t have?

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
158.7 million

Yup. Maybe switch might. Off topic but i recently tried some stuff on switch. Almost had seizure. I swear games run at 20fps at 720p.

Nintendo needs switch 2 asap. But switch s still selling great.

Reactions: The Icon
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Dropping $1000+ dollars at once isnt viable to alot of people.
Plus other reasons
Seriously also adding most ppl wouldn't even know how to tinker with the settings, parts, etc no one wants gaming to be a chore and idk how ppl don't understand that.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
it would be fucking hilarious if phil himself came on iconera to defend his legacy, LMAO. FU Phil, you ruined xbox. just go
That's the type of thing I would expect from him, dude always had that console warrior mindset and he hardly works.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
2024 is going to be a key year, PS5 has all the momentum as of right now and it's on Sony to keep it going.

Pretty much none of PlayStation's studios have an announced game with the exception of Insomniac, Haven and Firewalk. Come on, we are on year 4 already, where are our events announcing all these missing games? Where are the future PSVR2 games? Where is the PS5 Pro?

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff and Luffy123

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Seriously also adding most ppl wouldn't even know how to tinker with the settings, parts, etc no one wants gaming to be a chore and idk how ppl don't understand that.
Yeah and dont believe the PC’s havnent changed bs. Mine crashes still while playing.
The ease of consoles, and plug in and play will never be achieved by PC